Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    All-New Member

I started at 50 and loved it enough that I went back and got the first three trades. It's worth it for the art alone.

For those of you that don't know, it's about these animal human hybrids that had been bred for war. Now that the war is over, they try living their lives with humans, most of whom see them as some kind of monsters.

I tend to have problems finding single issues. I went to 4 stores in 4 different states before I gave up on finding the most recent issue. Then I met Richard Starkings a couple of weeks ago. We ended up talking for like 15 minutes which I've rarely experienced from any other creators. He gave me the most recent issue that I'd been missing for free and signed two of my trades. On one he drew a huge picture of Hip Flask talking to me. The trades are actually really great quality for the price. And they look good on a bookshelf.

All-New Member

If you use comixology at all #1 and 51, and War Toys #1 mini are on there for free.

I started a thread in the old forums saying how awesome that book was (and still is).
    One of the most underated comic out there that's for sure.

This is one of those titles that I 'always mean to' start getting the trades for.

I havent, yet. Should rectify that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Purcell View Post
    It's a book I should have been reading since the beginning, but haven't. It's the right genre for me. But now it's been going on so long i keep putting it off.
    Thats how I feel. I'll have to check out a trade though cause all I ever hear about it is good things.

Formally: The Adventurer Jim Purcell's Avatar

Free Image Comics from ComiXology gave me issue 51. I dug it. I might make the effort to get caught up from issue 51.

Amazing Member

despite not having read elephantmen before I picked up Elephantmen: 2260 Book One and loved it. I must say Axel Medellin art is not just great but his colouring is one of the best I have seen,

All-New Member

I have the first trade. As far as I can remember I liked some of the artwork and some was terrible. Not a fan of changing art teams. Storywise I liked it, but i think the artwork put me off.

I'm really interested in reading the whole series in its entirety. What hardcover books would I need to get to accomplish this?

I got the first hardcover a couple months ago, I wasn't impressed.

The art was alright, but I wasn't crazy about the writing. Also, this book has some of the quickest chapters/issues, in terms of how fast you read through them, ever since I last picked up a Bendis title. It kind of reminded me of some of the early Image titles, actually, in that regard (But Elephantmen has more depth).

Is it an oversized hardcover?

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUserName12 View Post
    Is it an oversized hardcover?
    It's very thick and has a ribbon to be used as a bookmark, but it's not oversized in that the dimensions seem to be the same as a regular hardcover. It's a little smaller in "height" in comparison to the Infinity hardcover, for example.....Also, although it's thick, it's only 8 issues/chapters.

Incredible Member

i shall accept this challenge and pick up issue 51. always wanted to give it a go but i was under the impression it wasn't too easy to jump into. didnt realise they had done a jump on issue recently - pretty art and elephants = can't lose

The series does a good job of giving you a history of what went down in the past during the war in various issues so it never felt like I needed to pick up past issues. Since I love the series so much I'm still going to try and track down all of the floppies I don't own.

Incredible Member

well i gave 51 a go - not bad but kind of on the fence about it. man and hippo working together is always going to be a win and art was nice. i'm going to need someone to push me off the fence though to keep following it. peer pressure me people