Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Pre-COIE Bronze Age, specifically 1977-1984. This was the best of all possible DC worlds for me: it featured most of the conventions of the Silver Age, but with some of the more mature fare of the Modern Age...a good middle ground between the two.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

I've only been reading comics since 2011, so I have a very limited scope, but since 2016's Rebirth relaunch DC has been on a hotstreak that I haven't seen from them or Marvel since I started reading comics. I think they're generally making all the right moves right now, and people are going to (hopefully) look back in a few years and thank Rebirth for the strong foundation that it built for the DCU going forward.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I would have to go 1986 to the early 2000s. I unfortunately find a lot of stuff before that to be a bit of a slog to read at times and though there has been some great stuff over the last 15 years or so, DC has just been erratic as hell generally. That post-Crisis era, however, had some of my favourite superhero runs, Vertigo at its prime and my personal favourite version of the DCU. Some terrible stuff too to be sure but when I think DC, that's the era I go for.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Mid-80s to early 90s.

I don't think the comics were necessarily better than they have been since, but they evolved so much during this period - and DC was leading the charge:
    The Dark Knight Returns
    Batman: Year One
    Moore's Swamp Thing
    Sandman
    The Question
    Justice League
    Shade the Changing Man
    V for Vendetta
    Animal Man
    Doom Patrol
    Breathtaker
    Skreemer

Great times!

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

1986 - 2000 (especially 1990 - 1995).

Everything was still new to me. I couldn't get enough of the DCU's history, and spent many hours (and $$$) poring through back issue bins. Universe-shattering events weren't yet a monthly thing, characters weren't being killed and resurrected every other issue, etc. When something big happened, it was actually big and effected your favorite characters/series for years to come; it wasn't all just reset immediately.

Of course now I know better. It's honestly kind of draining sometimes to work up enthusiasm for anything I'm reading, because sooo much has already been done before.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

2005-2015. I think DC was rubbish for 15-20 years before this, but I think DC turned it around in 2005. DC produced some of my favorite runs in this time period like Geoff John's Green Lantern epic, Flash (Barry Allen), Booster Gold and Aquaman; Scott Snyder's Batman and Detective Comics and Grant Morrison's All-Star Superman.
    Last edited by KC; 11-13-2017 at 09:45 PM.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

The Morrison/Lee/Johns/Cooke era

2002-2011

Astonishing Member

Post Crisis through early 2000s for me.

I liked the post Crisis set up of all the heroes on one Earth. That's just my preference, but I enjoyed seeing Captain Marvel, Blue Beetle, and others interacting with Batman and the traditional DC characters.

The fact that writers and artists that I knew from their Marvel work, like Byrne and Stern, made it easier to pick up their books, then try books from other writers.

Most of the series were relaunched so that I could try a series and back issue hunt to the beginning very easily.

While DC was publishing its traditional heroes, it also was ramping up the mature readers titles that led to Vertigo. Sandman, Morrison's Doom Patrol, Swamp Thing were unlike anything Marvel was publishing at the time.

And some of the titles had a great hook. Ostrander's Suicide Squad brought a spotlight to the villains and underused heroes as well as an espionage bent that I loved. The Flash told the story of an established sidekick who is now the replacing his mentor and dealing with the pressures that come with the position. Justice League had the character interaction and humor that made the characters seem more human to me.

the 90s when they were wreckin ****:

Dead Superman
    Broken Bat
    Homicidal Hal
    NOT WonderWoman

stuff wasnt overdone and tropie to me at the time they did it. didnt get into the Verigo stuff until later, comic shop I frequented didnt carry enough copies(only a handful of people were buying) so it was hard to get the complete story.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Unfortunately my start to comicbook reading was post-Flashpoint but I've been back tracking and I'll have to say Post-Crisis too early 2000s was so good. I got to meet many characters and ideas that sadly got shafted or forgotten in recent times. I just don't understand why D.C got rid of its rich history.

Byrnes Superman was my favorite Superman
    Suicide Squad was so good compared to now
    Nightshade and Bronze Tiger are my favs
    I got to meet the JLI which is probably my favorite team now
    I'm liking Starman (The one without the rod)
    LoS is really good under Waid
    I love Linda Danvers
    Gail Simone's BoP was a treat

Probably many more but man this is was a good era.

Also 1000th post!

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Unfortunately my start to comicbook reading was post-Flashpoint but I've been back tracking and I'll have to say Post-Crisis too early 2000s was so good. I got to meet many characters and ideas that sadly got shafted or forgotten in recent times. I just don't understand why D.C got rid of its rich history.

Byrnes Superman was my favorite Superman
    Suicide Squad was so good compared to now
    Nightshade and Bronze Tiger are my favs
    I got to meet the JLI which is probably my favorite team now
    I'm liking Starman (The one without the rod)
    LoS is really good under Waid
    I love Linda Danvers
    Gail Simone's BoP was a treat

Probably many more but man this is was a good era.

Also 1000th post!
    Congrats on your 1000th post!

I haven't read most of those things you mentioned. I have read some issues of Ostrander's Suicide Squad. Its brilliant. I am in the middle of Byrne's run on Superman. I am really loving it.

Post-Crisis through One Year Later.