the DCU is unique compared to most other comic book universes as there are so many eras and time periods with distinct differences between them. A lot of the characterizations of certain heroes and villains can be completely different in one era to the characterizations of those same characters in another era. You could also note the different art styles, or the way certain characters were drawn. Some have argued that the art simply got better over the years as people started paying more attention to comic books since they were getting popular. The DC heroes stopped looking like pulp characters from a comic strip and more like icons you could find in a museum. However, I appreciate all the different styles.

The question is what is your favorite DC era, and why? Was it the art style? The creative/editing teams they had at the time? The lineups of certain teams or books?

NOTE: This is NOT an excuse to bash a certain era. i.e., "I love the pre-Flashpoint era because the New 52 SUCKS!" This is just about appreciating what you like and what other people like, not to hate on stuff for the hell of it.

To answer the question, my favorite era in the DCU is the Pre-Crisis era, notably the Silver Age, from the 60s all the way to the mid 80s. Reading all the different stories, such as back issues of Showcase or Brave and the Bold, you can really feel that a universe is being built. Characters that you were introduced to in Showcase may suddenly pop up in Justice League or in a guest appearance in another book. And not only that, but all the heroes (and villains!) are friends. They're FRIENDS! Of course there are minor schisms and skirmishes between heroes but at the end of the day they're buds and there's a real sense of camaraderie and teamwork that doesn't feel as palpable nowadays. It feels FUN, and I'm not saying comics need to be fun, because I love and appreciate dark/mature/philosophical stories, but I'm a sucker for adventure and people working together and loving each other.