Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The gorgons

Default The gorgons

Should Medusa and her sisters return to rebirth as ongoing villains of Diana? I would like to see a year arc of an event with them in it for Diana and Jason and Donna. What do you guys think?

I'm a little uncomfortable with Medusa being portrayed as a villain. Sure, she's done horrible things, but wasn't she cursed to look the way that she does because Athena got pissed that she was raped in her temple by the goddess's own uncle? That makes me want either a redemption arc, or couple of panels of Diana chewing Athena out (assuming that it transpired in the comics like it did in the myths).

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
    I'm a little uncomfortable with Medusa being portrayed as a villain. Sure, she's done horrible things, but wasn't she cursed to look the way that she does because Athena got pissed that she was raped in her temple by the goddess's own uncle? That makes me want either a redemption arc, or couple of panels of Diana chewing Athena out (assuming that it transpired in the comics like it did in the myths).
    I've been feeling the same way too. If we can accept heroic Amazons I think we can accept non villainous Gorgons

BANNED

Think a friendly Medusa would end up contesting Cheetah and Ferdinand for the spot of 'monstrous friend', which I don't think will work.

It might however if it's contrasted somehow.
    Like Cheetah has all but lost herself in the monster, and it's Diana, Etta, etc, who believes she can come back.
    Medusa on the other hand, she could be the monster no one thinks can come back, but is trying hard.

That said, I am not so much wiling to see her down-graded like the Marvel Gorgons who have pretty close connections with the Amazons

Incredible Member

I'm fine with Medusa being cast in the role of "villain" based on her actions. That she isn't totally EVIL can be used to give her more depth. Her hatred of Athena was strong motivation to move against Diana (among other reasons), and though I'll never stop rolling my eyes at how decompressed her resurrection was, I thought Rucka's use of her was generally well-written and entertaining. If the Gorgons appear again, I hope their motivations are as well plotted as they were in Rucka's run.

And at the end of the day, it's what you do with the snakes on your head, not how you got them.

Medusa's a pretty prominent WW villain so I'm sure we'll see her sooner rather than later.

I would like to see a more sympathetic take on the character. I don't want to see her as a hero or anything, but she wasn't always a monstrous beast. Anyone who has seen Moana, the scene at the end with Te Ka (total Wonder Woman moment by the way) springs to mind of what I'd like to see with Medusa. Although of course it's comics and a redemption would never work for such a classic mythological villain.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    (total Wonder Woman moment by the way)
    Moana was a total Wonder Woman movie. And the Te Ka moment shoulda been done better in her movie -but we got lightning instead.

BANNED

Medusa's a pretty prominent WW villain so I'm sure we'll see her sooner rather than later.

I would like to see a more sympathetic take on the character. I don't want to see her as a hero or anything, but she wasn't always a monstrous beast. Anyone who has seen Moana, the scene at the end with Te Ka (total Wonder Woman moment by the way) springs to mind of what I'd like to see with Medusa. Although of course it's comics and a redemption would never work for such a classic mythological villain.
    I wouldn't call her a prominent Wonder Woman villain, since she is just a kind of legendary monster that shows up and in classic fashion gets herself beheaded or has her gaze turned on herself. She's made 2 appearances in the last 20 years or so and one of them was in Batwoman.

For some reason I started to think about the spin-off cartoon series of Disney's Hercules where Medusa does appear and is more of your garden variety angsty gothic teenager... living in a cave with a garden full of statues, who finally gets a blessing that makes her able to blend in and not kill people.

I wouldn't so much mind a Medusa coming to Diana in hopes of regaining some semblance of normality and contact with others. She'd either have blindfolded herself, or blinded herself permanently, and simply use the snakes as her eyes. If we were back in the first Rucka run (without the other story), I think something like this could have been a clever twist on Diana electing to house Medusa and then have to fend off Athena who'd definitely not want the Gorgon near her or Diana.

I hate the idea of Diana having to kill Medusa. She was a victim of rape. Diana should try to befriend her

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    I wouldn't call her a prominent Wonder Woman villain, since she is just a kind of legendary monster that shows up and in classic fashion gets herself beheaded or has her gaze turned on herself. She's made 2 appearances in the last 20 years or so and one of them was in Batwoman.
    In the last twenty years, she's also appeared in Wonder Woman: Earth One (the only "classic" villain in it), a story of Sensation Comics Featuring WW, a Justice League Unlimited episode, a role in DC Universe Online's DLC, and was Wonder Woman's archnemesis in a series of MAC Cosmetics ads.

Pretty prominent as far as Wonder Woman villains go.

BANNED

In the last twenty years, she's also appeared in Wonder Woman: Earth One (the only "classic" villain in it),
    a story of Sensation Comics Featuring WW,
    a Justice League Unlimited episode,
    a role in DC Universe Online's DLC,
    and was Wonder Woman's archnemesis in a series of MAC Cosmetics ads.

Pretty prominent as far as Wonder Woman villains go.
    As something the Amazons can let out and hustle back to it's cage like a bear.
    In a book that's mostly a free idea bucket few people read.
    As an inmate Circe just happened to share a cell with.
    Where Giganta has an interest in Wonder Girl and Cheetah is a vendor.
    Wow... thats like the Joker helming a shoe line with Nike...

More of an example of what a sad state the WW line of foes are still in.

Wonder Woman and her entire clan is guilty of genocide against the Gorgon people. Even during the Silver Age, gorgons were victims of prejudice from Wonder Woman, like this page from Wonder Woman Vol 1 #152 (1965). I've categorized 9 separate incidences of Wonder Woman, Hippolyta and Donna Troy slaughtering (all of which can be found here on my blog) innocent gorgons, often in a grisly fashion.

Future Wonder Woman authors should strive to include positive Gorgon role models that aren't malicious nor villains, preferably a kawaii* gorgon girlfriend for Wonder Woman.

*Translators note: Kawaii means cute in Japanese
    Last edited by Pinsir; 11-13-2017 at 07:05 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Future Wonder Woman authors should strive to include positive Gorgon role models that aren't malicious nor villains, preferably a kawaii* gorgon girlfriend for Wonder Woman.

*Translators note: Kawaii means cute in Japanese
    Please stop trying to make that a thing. Kawaii monster girls have no place in Wonder Woman.

I found Rucka's take of Medousa, Eurayle, and Stheno enjoyable. I'd welcome them back as regular adversaries to Wonder Woman, the gods, and Diana's other villains.

I think they shouldn’t be villains. Why not have them be more positive. First villains but than reformed. Maybe they should be the guards of doom hates. They are guards of the inside the gate.