Fantastic Member TruthAndJustice's Avatar

Default Superman stories that should be collected into TPBs

Of course, I'm referring to ones that haven't already been collected, as far as I know.

The Brainiac Trilogy (1989)

Identity Crisis (1996) -- NOTHING to do with that other story!

Superboy: Black Zero (1999)

Others?

The entirety of the Triangle Era that hasn’t been collected yet.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    The entirety of the Triangle Era that hasn’t been collected yet.
    Yea, this. While it's great that Batman/Robin/NW are getting more 90s collections, we're not seeing enough on the Superman front with that. I'm not even that thrilled with Exile Omnibus.

DC cancelled the Man of Tomorrow post-Byrne collections and they need to revive that.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member

I believe very little of the Cir-El era comics have been collected. Some of the early issues involving her have been I believe but not the very end of the story including Superman #200 and I don't think the Supergirls Arc involving her Natasha Irons and Traci 13 have been either despite many seeing those as some of the quintessential stories involving the other 2 who still get use (World of Flashpoint even referenced that arc!).

Same for La Encantadora's appearances. I remember them putting some of her appearances in one of those big floppy 80 Page specials as a fun treat but I don't think a hard and fast trade collection was ever put together of that arc involving her though I think the issues themselves were put into some different various trades.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Yea, this. While it's great that Batman/Robin/NW are getting more 90s collections, we're not seeing enough on the Superman front with that. I'm not even that thrilled with Exile Omnibus.

DC cancelled the Man of Tomorrow post-Byrne collections and they need to revive that.
    Agreed on the MoT series. The Exile omnibus is a step in the right direction, but it means little if they don’t continue doing them (I hope they do). I’d have preferred smaller, more affordable tpb’s though, ultimately (ala the Robin, Nightwing, and Catwoman collections).
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Incredible Member

Anything of the Bates and Maggin era.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    Same for La Encantadora's appearances. I remember them putting some of her appearances in one of those big floppy 80 Page specials as a fun treat but I don't think a hard and fast trade collection was ever put together of that arc involving her though I think the issues themselves were put into some different various trades.
    A La Encantadora TPB would work, particularly since Joe Kelly wrote all of her appearances. (It would include that "Superman and Wonder Woman fighting side by side for a thousand years" story which I thought was silly at the time and can barely remember now, but that's fine.)

Yeah, I'm agreed on the post-Crisis stuff as well- and tons of the Bronze age.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

I'd like to see Greg Rucka's "Ruin" stories re-issued. Those got kind of "lost" during the Infinite Crisis crossovers but I liked them.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Two trades from Supergirl in Adventure Comics. Volume one could include #381-396 features as well as Superman #414 and #415. Volume two could be massive, with 397-424.

Adventures of Supergirl Volume Two: The Feels

- A "Time and Time Again" re-release could include Action #515, #516, #665, and For Earth
    - A "Krimson Kryptonite" re-release could include Superman #46, Adventures #469, and Soul Search
    - Final Night: Superman could include the main series and Triangles 1996: 41-45, and the wedding.

Quote Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
    Anything of the Bates and Maggin era.
    I think Superman #290-300 is a gold standard stretch that DC should absolutely put out and fans should absolutely own.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    Agreed on the MoT series. The Exile omnibus is a step in the right direction, but it means little if they don’t continue doing them (I hope they do). I’d have preferred smaller, more affordable tpb’s though, ultimately (ala the Robin, Nightwing, and Catwoman collections).
    While I'm glad to see the post-Byrne stuff get an omnibus, I'm hoping that they will eventually (sooner rather than later) break those up into smaller, more affordable tpbs like they've done the with the Golden Age omnibuses.
    I'd love to see more Bronze Age material collected. I really like the Golden Age omnis they're doing for Superman and Batman (and now Wonder Woman) but would love to see it extended to a Silver Age and Bronze Age line as well. Otherwise, I'll be dead before any of that material sees the light of day.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TruthAndJustice View Post
    A La Encantadora TPB would work, particularly since Joe Kelly wrote all of her appearances. (It would include that "Superman and Wonder Woman fighting side by side for a thousand years" story which I thought was silly at the time and can barely remember now, but that's fine.)
    Was that the War of the Gods thing? I thought that was earlier.

Did Encantadora have something to do with that or did it happen around the same time?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    I believe very little of the Cir-El era comics have been collected. Some of the early issues involving her have been I believe but not the very end of the story including Superman #200 and I don't think the Supergirls Arc involving her Natasha Irons and Traci 13 have been either despite many seeing those as some of the quintessential stories involving the other 2 who still get use (World of Flashpoint even referenced that arc!).
    Would love to see this re-printed.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Two trades from Supergirl in Adventure Comics. Volume one could include #381-396 features as well as Superman #414 and #415. Volume two could be massive, with 397-424.

Adventures of Supergirl Volume Two: The Feels

- A "Time and Time Again" re-release could include Action #515, #516, #665, and For Earth
    - A "Krimson Kryptonite" re-release could include Superman #46, Adventures #469, and Soul Search
    - Final Night: Superman could include the main series and Triangles 1996: 41-45, and the wedding.

I think Superman #290-300 is a gold standard stretch that DC should absolutely put out and fans should absolutely own.
    Superman 290-300 is probably my definitive era for the character. I would extend it to 325 just to include all the Garcia Lopez covers.

Superman 301 has a great battle with Solomon Grundy and is all Garcia Lopez. I would like to see Zhavam reprinted and Who took the Super out of Superman.

http://www.coverbrowser.com/covers/superman/7

Oh yeah it's in 290 to 300, Who Took The Super out of Superman.