Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Fantastic Member TruthAndJustice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    The kid, and her marriage to Pete are probably not canon even Post-Reborn.
    Never mind the kid. But I don't see the need to throw out the marriage/divorce.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

* With Berganza officially gone and Bendis in (DC I mean), I'd love nothing more in this world than to see Hickman come in on a Superman book. In the past Hickman has cited editorial and management at DC as being a reason why he wouldn't want to work there, but maybe with Bendis (the person who brought him into Marvel despite them likely having similar issues) he'll be convinced to join in? It wouldn't be an exclusive deal though, but given Hickman penchant for meticulously planed out long stories over years, it would sure feel like it. A Hickman level guy would simultaneously be the shot in the arm the books need along with the Snyder-like scope and forethought that the Superman line almost never has. I understand the need for workmen-like output, but when Hickman becomes a real "holy sh!t this could really happen" possibility--even if it's only the slimiest of chances--for Superman and DC, it wouldn't be smart long term strategy to say no to it. His Fantastic Four mega run speaks for itself, and Superman has been often compared to them when it comes to struggling to constantly generate and keep public interest, and the guy now has a family to make the comparison stronger.

* Going off my above point, I'd like to see Tomasi and Gleason exclusively on Super Sons with Jorge Jimenez remaining as main artist. Jon and Super Sons is where Tomasi has consistently done his best Superman related work, and I'd rather a new team take over the main book at this juncture (Hickman and hopefully an artist that comes over with Bendis). Keeping them around makes sense and it keeps the momentum they've started going, but focuses it more in a spot where their strengths are.

* A specialty Superman book of some kind by Bendis (ala Unchained). It's strange because Bendis' writing style isn't really something I'd normally be to jazzed about having on a Superman book, but that was over at Marvel with their "house style," and I can't help but feel like Bendis would bend his style a bit to fit the DCU and Superman in particular. His ideas for hypothetical DC books were very, very surprising. I'd really like to see what he'd do.

Note: Bendis on some sort of Superman book like this that doesn't necessarily require he set up shop there forever during Superman's 80th year makes a lot of sense. Nothing Bendis is working on will be out this year, so it makes good sense that he get a book about Superman during his big year. Lots of press and lots of push for both Superman and Bendis in that.

* Keep Jurgens as is because there's obviously an audience for his style of writing, and if my proposed Hickman/Bendis stuff doesn't grab that section of readers, then the Jurgens stuff is there for them. It just makes sense. I may not like his writing, like, at all these days (maybe even ever), but he has his fans.

* American Alien 2 getting an official green light. The signs of its coming are there, for sure, but I'd like the official confirmation all the same. I'd also love to see Landis get a quick arc or a set of back-ups in the main book. I've got a feeling I'm going to really like his Superman story in the Christmas special, and I'll likely want a bit more of that before AA2 comes out, and it also works out as a bit of advertising for AA2.

* I go back and forth with this, but I'd like it if Miller and JRJR's Superman "Year One" were in continuity. Jurgens' clip show arc in Action was a waste of an opportunity, in my opinion. It's made me hungry for some sort of definitive origin, and Miller doing the Superman version of Man Without Fear seems like a good bit of fun.

* And overall, I just want some ambition from the Superman line. What they've been doing so far has been putting a really good set-up in a perpetual holding pattern, and then pacifying us C+ grade "aww" moments that end up not saying much about anything. It's not bad work most of the time, but it's also not that great. It's just enough to get you to the next meal. Say what you want about how divisive King's Batman run has been, but it doesn't lack ambition for better or worse. But I feel for those who like this current stuff just fine, and that's why I don't think either Tomasi/Gleason or Jurgens should be out of the Superman world. They're good at what they do, and they have necessary strengths, but I don't think they'll be enough to bring Superman up past just being an fun but just ok at best read.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 11-13-2017 at 11:41 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Superman is fine. As long as Gleason and Mahnke still the most of the art.

Action, it’s been fine, no more Booth kaythanks.

Super Sons is awesome.

Now we need Supergirl to get an injection (Bendis? How bizarre)

Lois Lane and the Daily Planet book by Bendis sounds intriguing. Can really lead to movie/tv projects.

Conner/Young Justice revival I think fans would eat it up. Must have awesome artists that are passionate.

And for the people that don’t like the books (mostly because of so much Jon, I suspect) an All-Star Superman book should be in order.

Is the 2 issues per month for Action and Superman still sustainable?

Quote Originally Posted by TruthAndJustice View Post
    Never mind the kid. But I don't see the need to throw out the marriage/divorce.
    It really adds nothing to her character as she stands now to say she was once married to Pete and divorced. That's really how little their relationship meant to the lore. It was always throwaway, background filler no one cared about, done during a time when Lana herself was little more than a throwaway background character no one cared about. I don't really see the point in reinserting it now.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-13-2017 at 09:27 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I know I said that I'd be happy if they just keep up the good work, but Superlad's breakdown sounds pretty damn good.

Though I dare not even dream of getting Hickman on Superman. The gods aren't that good.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Unfortunately outside of my wildest dreams, they won't be changing the format. I like monthly title pacing and for me, the only true problem has been what feels like the production of comics in a vacuum during a race against time. I don't feel like these people are sitting down and sharing with each other as the pace and connectivity between the titles feel off. Sure they don't have to need each other, but they are doing the same character and so they should probably be on the same page.

I actually am down for two things: 1) give Jurgens a co-writer like Keith Giffen to break the rut. They could share the workload and communicate more fun ideas. 2) replace the Superman team. I'd go with Rob Williams, who is not only very clever but likes Superman as his favorite character.

BANNED

Leave Action and Superman as they are, focus on Supergirl, Conner, LOSH and other spin off properties. Dont muck with with the Rebirth status quo for Superman to appease shippers and Nuperman fans. Fix what's broken not what works well enough, ofcourse I'd like for Jurgens to become editor and Action to get a new team eventually but the real priority should be the spin off properties.

A team or solo book for Kon
    A solo Lois book
    A relaunched Supergirl book
    Something with Steel
    LOSH revival

That's what the priority should be.

BANNED

Rumour is DC are switching to the "Marvel Method" of plotting stories through the artist and adding dialogue after.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/11...d-that-marvel/

(One of the only Marvel books that still uses this method is Dan Slott's Amazing Spider-Man)
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 11-14-2017 at 04:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    It really adds nothing to her character as she stands now to say she was once married to Pete and divorced. That's really how little their relationship meant to the lore. It was always throwaway, background filler no one cared about, done during a time when Lana herself was little more than a throwaway background character no one cared about. I don't really see the point in reinserting it now.
    Perhaps it adds a bit to Lana's history? And what else is there to do with Pete Ross at the moment? We haven't seen him at all. A reunion might make for an emotionally-driven scene, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Rumour is DC are switching to the "Marvel Method" of plotting stories through the artist and adding dialogue after.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/11...d-that-marvel/

(One of the only Marvel books that still uses this method is Dan Slott's Amazing Spider-Man)
    Worked for Stan and Jack quite well. Hope it works well this time around.

BANNED

I would bring in a new Jon Kent Maxi-series that has him teaming up with various other heroes that his father knows and learning from them.

Extraordinary Member

All I want is a book with Linda Danvers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TruthAndJustice View Post
    Perhaps it adds a bit to Lana's history? And what else is there to do with Pete Ross at the moment? We haven't seen him at all. A reunion might make for an emotionally-driven scene, no?
    The character would be better off if they worked on building a new history for her, rather than bringing in her history from the Post-Crisis era.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    * With Berganza officially gone and Bendis in (DC I mean), I'd love nothing more in this world than to see Hickman come in on a Superman book. In the past Hickman has cited editorial and management at DC as being a reason why he wouldn't want to work there, but maybe with Bendis (the person who brought him into Marvel despite them likely having similar issues) he'll be convinced to join in? It wouldn't be an exclusive deal though, but given Hickman penchant for meticulously planed out long stories over years, it would sure feel like it. A Hickman level guy would simultaneously be the shot in the arm the books need along with the Snyder-like scope and forethought that the Superman line almost never has. I understand the need for workmen-like output, but when Hickman becomes a real "holy sh!t this could really happen" possibility--even if it's only the slimiest of chances--for Superman and DC, it wouldn't be smart long term strategy to say no to it. His Fantastic Four mega run speaks for itself, and Superman has been often compared to them when it comes to struggling to constantly generate and keep public interest, and the guy now has a family to make the comparison stronger.

* Going off my above point, I'd like to see Tomasi and Gleason exclusively on Super Sons with Jorge Jimenez remaining as main artist. Jon and Super Sons is where Tomasi has consistently done his best Superman related work, and I'd rather a new team take over the main book at this juncture (Hickman and hopefully an artist that comes over with Bendis). Keeping them around makes sense and it keeps the momentum they've started going, but focuses it more in a spot where their strengths are.

* A specialty Superman book of some kind by Bendis (ala Unchained). It's strange because Bendis' writing style isn't really something I'd normally be to jazzed about having on a Superman book, but that was over at Marvel with their "house style," and I can't help but feel like Bendis would bend his style a bit to fit the DCU and Superman in particular. His ideas for hypothetical DC books were very, very surprising. I'd really like to see what he'd do.

Note: Bendis on some sort of Superman book like this that doesn't necessarily require he set up shop there forever during Superman's 80th year makes a lot of sense. Nothing Bendis is working on will be out this year, so it makes good sense that he get a book about Superman during his big year. Lots of press and lots of push for both Superman and Bendis in that.

* Keep Jurgens as is because there's obviously an audience for his style of writing, and if my proposed Hickman/Bendis stuff doesn't grab that section of readers, then the Jurgens stuff is there for them. It just makes sense. I may not like his writing, like, at all these days (maybe even ever), but he has his fans.

* American Alien 2 getting an official green light. The signs of its coming are there, for sure, but I'd like the official confirmation all the same. I'd also love to see Landis get a quick arc or a set of back-ups in the main book. I've got a feeling I'm going to really like his Superman story in the Christmas special, and I'll likely want a bit more of that before AA2 comes out, and it also works out as a bit of advertising for AA2.

* I go back and forth with this, but I'd like it if Miller and JRJR's Superman "Year One" were in continuity. Jurgens' clip show arc in Action was a waste of an opportunity, in my opinion. It's made me hungry for some sort of definitive origin, and Miller doing the Superman version of Man Without Fear seems like a good bit of fun.

* And overall, I just want some ambition from the Superman line. What they've been doing so far has been putting a really good set-up in a perpetual holding pattern, and then pacifying us C+ grade "aww" moments that end up not saying much about anything. It's not bad work most of the time, but it's also not that great. It's just enough to get you to the next meal. Say what you want about how divisive King's Batman run has been, but it doesn't lack ambition for better or worse. But I feel for those who like this current stuff just fine, and that's why I don't think either Tomasi/Gleason or Jurgens should be out of the Superman world. They're good at what they do, and they have necessary strengths, but I don't think they'll be enough to bring Superman up past just being an fun but just ok at best read.
    Some of the ideas sound good. Though i disagree with making Miller's story as canon even if it is excellent. First i don't trust him yet. Second i prefer this bare bones origin. I feel Superman is one character who is hampered by constant origin re-writings. Just move forward with the basic outline laid down. Either one tries something very radical, something too different from the status quo and one has to fit that within it like Birthright or its so safe that no one is satisfied like Secret Origins. I would say by all means write those origins but better keep that out of continuity. It may be unsatisfying to a lot of fans but its good enough in my opinion. Just add in few elements which are missing in the outline. Like say LOSH which is surely returning but otherwise i think we are good. It would last really long.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbatos666 View Post
    Leave Action and Superman as they are, focus on Supergirl, Conner, LOSH and other spin off properties. Dont muck with with the Rebirth status quo for Superman to appease shippers and Nuperman fans. Fix what's broken not what works well enough, ofcourse I'd like for Jurgens to become editor and Action to get a new team eventually but the real priority should be the spin off properties.

A team or solo book for Kon
    A solo Lois book
    A relaunched Supergirl book
    Something with Steel
    LOSH revival

That's what the priority should be.
    I find myself agreeing with this view. The spin offs require lots of work while Superman and Action are moving ahead solidly. Who knows by mixing it up its broken down. I know eventually these two books would require changes but let us not go ahead of ourselves. These two books are doing really well. I would say leave it for now. When it shows signs of weakening (saleswise/quality/reception) my mind would change. And of course because i love these two and would be sorry to see it go. The other properties except for Supersons are either weak(Supergirl) or non-existent(Kon/LOSH). I guess the two books which are unanimously good are Supersons and New Super-man. And can i get Superwoman? I was liking that. Its sad to see it ending. Maybe relaunch her within a Metropolis book or something. I don't know what can be done with Supergirl. A relaunch seems too radical.

Apart from that i would wish they add backup stories to main books. Let the stories continue but add three four pages of say Lois or Jon. Getting Lois solo would be like my dream coming true. But a Lois backup would be third best if we are not getting a book set in Daily Planet. Some time back Superlad mentioned Jon in backup stories. It is a good idea. I feel Action and Superman are a bit lighter in reading material even if both are really good. In one book put Lois' own stories and Jon in another and it would make me happier.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 11-14-2017 at 07:56 AM.

I agree on the origin thing. Just leave it as it is. Odds are extremely high that if Miller's story was turned into an official origin, what happened with Birthright would happen all over again. i.e., it'd just be contradicted left and right by the larger DC continuity goings-on sooner than later anyway. Why bother again? Stick with the basic bullet point set up you have, and just operate on an "everything happened" stage. When you need to go to the past, go to it. For example, you want to bring back Kenny? Clarify that past then. You want to create a whole new character that has a past with Superman? Fit it in then. You want to do something that requires a callback to an old pre-Crisis tale? Or a post-Crisis tale? Or a New 52 tale? Clarify it then. Otherwise though just leave things vague.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El