Page 38 of 48 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I think because it's Jean. Since she's coming back most wanted her on a team with friends and family. Jean being on a team with the dynamic X-characters was sorely missed for YEARS and people really wanted that here. I'm giving this team a chance even though Gabby bothers me here.
    If there's one legit reason to criticize the roster it would be this.

However, as someone who wanted Jean back and to see how she and her friends would deal I'm actually pretty stoked about the roster. You don't bring back a character like Jean Grey and then silo her off in a satelittle book and call it good. She may not be appearing regularly on a title with the usual suspects but if something big is happening she'll likely be around.

Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    Jean's never been above being a bit tempermental. It's a quality a lot of her fans love.

Realized both these were directed at Logan after the fact. Eh...I'm keeping it.
    She had a temper with other people too, not just with Logan. She had one with Iron Man.

Then owning him again as Tony Stark.

Mighty Member

While I was rooting for Hijack, a revived Synch, or someone like Magma or Dani Moonstar. This is a pretty diverse cast in gender, age, experience level. And I am here for the new character. She looks great.The x-men needs more black female characters. It does suck that we have Laura and Gabby but hopefully there characterization will be strong. I hope Gentle gets something to do and Namor and Jean spar.

Happy to see Nezhno... but reminds me about the lack of Kyle & Yost NXM respect in everything else. Will pay for Hellion, Surge, Elixir, and Mercury in any book as regulars.

BANNED

This Trinary. Looks like we finally have a mutant from the Philippines.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Phenom2893 View Post
    She had a temper with other people too, not just with Logan. She had one with Iron Man.
    If you've shared panel space with Jean you've probably seen her temper at some point. That's one area she's not shy in.

Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    Yup. Claremont did a great job adding small character moments with Jean & Nathan and writing the characters in a really believable way - when he wasn't happy about baby Nathan Christopher being turned into Cable. Cable had his own series at the time and it was handled really well with Claremont and Weinberg working together to plot how Scott's death impacted Nathan - but by the time Scott came back, editorial started changing everything. Nathan had some great moments with a lot of other X-Men, like Rogue too. It really worked with having him on the team for a character-driven reason.

It's those type of character moments that are very very rarely included in X-books now because they require the reader to follow a much larger plot and character arcs.
    Yes! There hasnt been solid moments like this since Morrison. I miss when all the books actually connected and you could follow a character and thier plots showed up in other books. It was a cohesive universe with a team that was a family.

Now its just story arcs that dont seem to matter, where characters never grow and continuity is rarely brought up.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

What's up with all the Gabby hate! She actually made me laugh reading a comic book in years!

Quote Originally Posted by JACKY JAWS View Post
    What's up with all the Gabby hate! She actually made me laugh reading a comic book in years!
    I find her cute and her character helps elevate Laura's but I get people's problem that this Wolverine clone legacy is starting to suffering from Russian nesting doll syndrome with Teen Wolverine and now Baby Wolverine/X-23.

Im sure most are unfamiliar with her. Not so much hate as indifference to her

Fantastic Member True Believer Tony's Avatar

I'm fine with Gabby but if this is an actual X-Men team, I hope she's just supporting cast. I've been waiting a LONG time for Laura to be put on an official X-Men proper and having Gabby there diminishes it a bit for me.
    Twitter: @TonyBWood

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    This Trinary. Looks like we finally have a mutant from the Philippines.
    Shes from India
    X-Men Forever

A lot of characters I don't know much about. The new one looks interesting and having the Wolverine sisters onboard is right up my alley. I'm looking forward to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Although I kind of do want to see her [Gabby] annoy the heck out of Namor .
    That would be funny. Scenario where they're separated from the rest of the team with no other friends or help. I'd pay for something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    On one hand, it's cool to see Gabby joining a team book. OTOH, I agree I'd have liked to see her get some space from Laura. I really wish they'd put her on Gen X. She could have been a lot of fun to watch in a school environment.
    Yeah, having her expand her social circle would be good for the character. Maybe the team setting will allow for that? (She can now bug Namor after all )

Quote Originally Posted by FIGHT View Post
    Ah, I see you are a person of culture. That is the X-23 i know and love. Not this 2nd rate Wolverine "trying to be a better person" crap.
    I don't know; I'd argue that that "crap" has been in the character's DNA almost since square one and pretty consistently held up through the years and different media:

Logan: "I'm a victim just like you! I'm the one person on this planet who understands you! And maybe the closest thing you have to family."
    X-23: "No! I I can't have a family. I can't!"
    Logan: "Your feelings don't fight 'em anymore. Let 'em win."
    X-23: "No one can help me, not you [Logan], not anyone. The only way I'll be free, the only way HYDRA and S.H.I.E.L.D. will stop hunting me is if I'm no longer alive."
    Logan: "Kid you and I have been through the same kind of things, and even though they took my memories away, I'm proof that you can get beyond this." - "Target X," X-Men: Evolution [2003]
    "You are a child, not a weapon." - Dr. Sarah Kinney, X-23: Innocence Lost #6 [2005]
    [quote]"Can you grow into a human being, now that you’ve been a weapon for 16 years and that’s her journey. She’s Pinocchio for Marvel Comics, she’s a samurai sword trying to become a real little girl and can she? And it's that journey that will hopefully take decades to tell. I’m real proud of her.” - Craig Kyle, Laura's creator [2007]

I am here because I do not know how to live any other way. But I will learn. I can have what I want. I can change. Watch me." - Laura Kinney, X-23 one-shot [2010]
    Daken: "Why do you limit yourself...You were raised to be a killer, and you are. It's in your genes. You're good at it, by all accounts. That's all you should aspire to be. And yet, you care. You have... a heart. I don't know why."
    Laura: "What does that have to with limiting myself?"
    Daken: "Because caring... is weakness. All these people? They are beneath you. You could take any life in an instant. Your power could be absolute and breathtaking."
    Laura: "Yes. I know."
    Daken: "Then what is holding you back?"
    Laura: "What I have to prove has nothing to do with power." - Daken: Dark Wolverine #9 [2010]
    [quote]Laura is fighting every bit of that conditioning because she wants to be someone better. So much so, it's killing her on the inside. So, don' pretend it doesn't make it hard for her when she sees the difference in how you [Logan] treat Jubilee. Don' pretend it doesn't hurt her, an' make her think that maybe she's failing. - Gambit, X-23 #10 [2010]

Xavier: "Language, Logan. And you're screaming at a machine."
    Logan: "Oh, what? She [Laura] can gut a man with her feet, but she can't hear a few naughty words?"
    Xavier: "She can learn to be better."
    Logan: "Better than me?"
    Xavier: "As a matter of fact, yes." - Logan film [2017]
    "Don't be what they made you." - Logan, Logan film [2017]
    Now, if you don't like Tom Taylor's handling of the character or think that the transition from her more damaged status to more balanced was too abrupt, fair enough, but the concept on paper, at the very least, is a logical next chapter for the character based on her past.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Here's a secret: Everybody just wants their favorites there. For example, had Cable been announced on this team I'd be pumped about the book. Now I'm like, "meh."

Just how it is, man.
    Agreed; that was the deciding factor for me on whether to follow this series or not.

I personally like the character a lot (the fact that she was onboard alongside Laura was what made me decide I would read this for sure) and do like the idea of them both being on the same team (although I do hope the series has a balance of them interacting with other characters and each other). On the other hand, Gabby's existence is a major change in the X-23 franchise's status quo and I can follow that other readers might've preferred a better-established or older character that's fallen out of disuse have gotten the slot instead of a brand-new one who's already a major player in another series.

Either way, I'm very curious how the Kinney siblings get recruited in-universe; did Jean or whoever made that decision want both of them, or only one, but they refused to sign up without the other (they have been shown to be pretty tight in their own comic).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

People, remember that titles get rebooted every year or two, so it's not like it's gonna be this forever.

Fantastic Member

they should've just chosen Cable, Nate Grey and Rachel, and maybe Hope lol