Page 37 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

This forum days ago: the Gold and Blue line-ups are boring, stale and just nostalgia wank! Why do the authors never care about characters who were created after the 80's? I wanna see different characters interacting!

*Marvel brings an all-new line-up full of different and new characters who have never interacted before*

Y'all: Not my X-Men!!! This is just a bunch of random people thrown together!! etc.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cerridwen View Post
    this is the most boring lineup ever
    Yeah... The longer I look at it... The more "meh" I become about it. Gambit would help and I can't for the life of me understand why they wouldn't include him from the get go because I think they are banking too much on the Jean's return galvanizing people. Her adult self is preferable but in essence between Hope, AOA, Rachel, Maddie and then Teen Jean, she hasn't been gone too long in spirit.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    This forum days ago: the Gold and Blue line-ups are boring, stale and just nostalgia wank! Why do the authors never care about characters who were created after the 80's? I wanna see different characters interacting!

*Marvel brings an all-new line-up full of different and new characters who have never interacted before*

Y'all: Not my X-Men!!! This is just a bunch of random people thrown together!! etc.
    Post for the win. Some people will just never be satisfied lol

Really hope it ends up being Remmy and not Rogue joining this team. Rogue and Jean were never remotely close and she’s being awesome in UA. I would rather have her stay there and have Gambit get some panel time. Also, his pupils are red lol

Plus, how is this boring when 'Gold' is literally a rehash of the SAME team from the 80's? And Blue is the time-displaced bore5 + a cheap knockoff of Logan. I'd recommend certain mutants for this team but this is, by all means, a great and fun cast.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    Jean's never been above being a bit tempermental. It's a quality a lot of her fans love.

Realized both these were directed at Logan after the fact. Eh...I'm keeping it.
    OK, you've convinced me-Jean is cool and I'll give her a chance.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

So Marvel brought back Jean Grey just to dress her up in football pads and to have her band together some c listers, never weres, and overexposeds.

Brilliant. House of Ideas, good night.

I think we all need a good dosage of Trinary, a potent over the counter antidiarrheal.

I like the team that was selected. I like Jean well enough, I have not caught up with AN Wolverine but I liked Laura in that book and I really liked Gabby (which is good considering Tom Taylor is writing both AN Wolverine and this), Nightcrawler is one of my favourite X-Men, I like Namor and I think he is going to bring an interesting dynamic to the team (although I don't like his costume, I can live with it), I don't know what to expect with the new member and I don't know anything about Gentle but I can learn about them in this book. I might pick-up the first couple of issues to see if I like it, but the team and creative team has not turned me off so far.

Also, no matter who is on this team, there are going to be people who are unhappy with it. The X-Men side of the Marvel Universe has so many characters that there is always going to be someone who will think that an X-Men team could be done better.
    Last edited by KC; 11-13-2017 at 10:02 PM.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

I think some people were hoping for a group of X-Men they liked and we're familiar with (ya know any 3 or 4 that are stuck in limbo?) and have them interact and go on adventures. If nothing else, DC knows how keep their teams together, mind you none of their books have the size universe the X-Men do. With that said I can think of a number of team combinations that would have gotten people excited. Astonishing was on the right track until Soule told everyone it's not a team, and then chose to throw in Mystique (why?) and Fantomex (redundant). Gold has a cast people like, but oddly revolves around Kitty. Not the end of the world but the writing on there... isn't all that great. Blue... Blue and Weapon-X shouldn't exist. For months people on here have been playing around with mock rosters and... This combination never even came close. I mean not even remotely close. 2 Wolverines and Nightcrawler on two teams, with a new character? I'm still giving this a shot but there are at least 3 spots that could have been better placed. Just off the top of my head, characters that would have made some folk giddy; Dazzler, Sage, Iceman, Karma, Northstar, Havok, Magik, Hellion, Mercury, Surge, Dust, M, Rockslide, Armor, Anole, Lifeguard, Nate, Cable, Emma (lol), Cannonball, Forge and that's ignoring everyone in Astonishing and bunch of others sitting the sidelines.

I think a key to building a lasting team book is getting ahold of as many characters with their own followings as possible. Good writing can solve this but it's an uphill battle. He's going to have to try to win fans from scratch and that's not taking into account the lack of raw rack-appeal. I think this is a book you launch when your line and sales are doing well. People are more willing to take a chance on something that's already hot, similar to what's going on with the MCU. But right now when you're trying win over fans? I dunno if this was too advantageous but I'm still open to it. But excited? Im not sure.

If enough people don't care about or get invested in a book, no matter of great writing will save it. We've seen tons of great books get cancelled simply because it didn't draw a crowd. Si Spurriers X-Men Legacy comes to mind. At the time, no one really cared about Legion. Despite it being a good book, it never made a splash. Funny enough, it lent itself well to be adopted in part for FX show. And guess what? It was new and original which is great, but familiar fan favorites help. Astonishing is full of fan favs and I think the book is selling off of that alone.
    Last edited by donpricetag; 11-13-2017 at 09:49 PM.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Ill have to hear the mission statement to begin to like the cast. Thay said i dobt hate the members and knkw nothing yet of Trinary except ahe from India. But i juat dont see why they are together. Jean is the only reason id buy the book. X23 i love but on the team isnt enough cause id rather she stay in her solo.
    X-Men Forever

Fantastic Member victor borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jyamen View Post
    Northstar is one I was hoping would make the grade as well...great character and very underused.
    same. still think he would make a good addition to Namor and Gentle. not a fan of the Wolverines

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I think because it's Jean. Since she's coming back most wanted her on a team with friends and family. Jean being on a team with the dynamic X-characters was sorely missed for YEARS and people really wanted that here. I'm giving this team a chance even though Gabby bothers me here.

Quote Originally Posted by Comicfan111 View Post
    I like the team that was selected. I like Jean well enough, I have not caught up with AN Wolverine but I liked Laura in that book and I really liked Gabby (which is good considering Tom Taylor is writing both AN Wolverine and this), Nightcrawler is one of my favourite X-Men, I like Namor and I think he is going to bring an interesting dynamic to the team (although I don't like his costume, I can live with it), I don't know what to expect with the new member and I don't know anything about Gentle but I can learn about them in this book. I might pick-up the first couple of issues to see if I like it, but the team and creative team has not turned me off so far.

Also, no matter who is on this team, there are going to be people who are unhappy with it. The X-Men side of the Marvel Universe has so many characters that there is always going to be someone who will think that an X-Men team could be done better.
    There are out of the box team selections, and then there's outright trollage. This assemblage makes absolutely no sense except as selected on an editorial c lister dartboard.

Gabby????

Nezhno??????

Fantastic Member victor borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Former Morlock View Post
    There goes my dreams of Jean pulling together her rag tag group of x-men again like Northstar, Dazzler, and Frenzy.
    we can still hope! maybe the three will take over one of the other books 😜