Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 384445464748
    Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    The original X-Men were even younger than most of these guys when the first faced one of their greatest enemies Magneto so why would it be a problem now? Jean is not Kitty. She can bring along who she wants.

Only weird case my be Gabby, but I'm not familiar with her enough to say whether she has the experience. And she could end up being a Jubilee like role.
    Difference there is Xavier brought the X-Men together originally to teach them. Them fighting Magneto was a necessity because uh...who you gonna call? The Avengers? LoL. Avengers only care about mutants when they need to assassinate one. I kid, I kid... Kinda.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Yeah, I'm hoping for Uncanny X-Men with Xavier, Logan and Jean after AXM ends. I used to actually hate that idea as I think Jean should have full attention, but right now I would much rather have that instead of XMR.
    No one character should dominate a team book. Isn't this what created all the Cyclops haters because he dominated the x-line for much of 10's? Now people hate Kitty for the same reason. Jeen and now Jean could end up viewed the same if Marvel's not careful.

Quote Originally Posted by GylT'Nav View Post
    Jonathan the pet wolverine has already a costume. Easy change!
    That's right. It was "adorable" and "practical" for protecting his secret identity. One could make the case of him having superpowers as well; he walked off getting shot really well, was apparently able to perceive Spider-Gwen's hallucinations of Spider-Ham, and possess an universal translator. I don't think that putting him on would add anything, though, and I'd rather see a human character instead.

Quote Originally Posted by BBeeryan View Post
    I'm interested in this Trinary character. I just wonder how long it'll be before her skin is lightened to make others feel comfortable with her character.
    Speaking as a white reader, don't do that. Let the character stay as originally planned. Having more variety in terms of ethnic backgrounds, nationalities, and whatnot makes for more variety of characters, which makes for more interesting fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    Only weird case my be Gabby, but I'm not familiar with her enough to say whether she has the experience. And she could end up being a Jubilee like role.
    Gabby's backstory was that she was one several clones of Wolverine/Laura made in an effort to get their own X-23s, much like Laura herself was originally created in the X-23 project in an effort to replace Weapon X when Logan escaped. We were shown that Gabby and her other sisters were being trained in various combat techniques and knew how to use firearms, conduct reconnaissance missions (Larua specifically commented that Gabby was very hard to trace even for an expert tracker when she didn't want to be found), and the like.

On the other hand, Gabby was significantly younger than the others (she's thirteen) and various hints and clues from what we see indicate that other clones made an effort to protect her the worst of the abuse and turmoil that they went through, raising the possibility that she's not as skilled as Laura was at her age.

So, long story short, she does have useful training but she may not have a great amount of practical experience yet. We'll have to wait to see what the rational is for her recruitment (if she's being brought onboard since she's an asset as is, as a sort-of superhero internship opportunity where her big sister can have her back if needed, or something else).

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhammer View Post
    No one character should dominate a team book. Isn't this what created all the Cyclops haters because he dominated the x-line for much of 10's? Now people hate Kitty for the same reason. Jeen and now Jean could end up viewed the same if Marvel's not careful.
    Personally, I hope that the series has an even balance between which characters they focus on, even if Jean is more prominent by being leader (like how many of the Star Trek were ensemble pieces even if the captain was the first among equals).
    Last edited by WebLurker; 11-15-2017 at 10:00 PM.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Lol no one hates Kitty and Jean besides the fans of a select character who feel threatened because they have been declared leaders.

Gold in particular is just kinda blah. I almost feel like nothing memorable happens in it for any of the characters, Kitty included.
    Last edited by Disciple of Redd; 11-15-2017 at 10:02 PM.

Dancing in the Shadows Indigo_Lady's Avatar

Glad to see Nightcrawler away from Guggenheim although I was hoping he would stay with Gold under a different writer. That book has been a waste of a good team and such a disappointment. Jean and Kurt had a friendly relationship even if they haven't been on the same teams very often so I'm looking forward to the formation arc for this team.

I'm not happy to see Namor at all. I dislike the character and never thought he belonged with the X-Men. He's only going to cause grief. Somehow I just can envision a team with both Namor and Gambit so I hope that Rogue is the choice between the two.

The rest are a really eclectic bunch that might bring a breath of fresh air. I'm not sure why so many people are unhappy. Having often heard lately a lot of complaining about things being "same old same old", this book seems to have potential. We shall see.
    Last edited by Indigo_Lady; 11-16-2017 at 11:13 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    That's right. It was "adorable" and "practical" for protecting his secret identity. One could make the case of him having superpowers as well; he walked off getting shot really well, was apparently able to perceive Spider-Gwen's hallucinations of Spider-Ham, and possess an universal translator.
    According to Taylor, he's supposed to be capable of taking on Lockheed, so he's definitely not an ordinary wolverine.

Gabby's backstory was that she was one several clones of Wolverine/Laura made in an effort to get their own X-23s, much like Laura herself was originally created in the X-23 project in an effort to replace Weapon X when Logan escaped. We were shown that Gabby and her other sisters were being trained in various combat techniques and knew how to use firearms, conduct reconnaissance missions (Larua specifically commented that Gabby was very hard to trace even for an expert tracker when she didn't want to be found), and the like.

On the other hand, Gabby was significantly younger than the others (she's thirteen) and various hints and clues from what we see indicate that other clones made an effort to protect her the worst of the abuse and turmoil that they went through, raising the possibility that she's not as skilled as Laura was at her age.

So, long story short, she does have useful training but she may not have a great amount of practical experience yet. We'll have to wait to see what the rational is for her recruitment (if she's being brought onboard since she's an asset as is, as a sort-of superhero internship opportunity where her big sister can have her back if needed, or something else).
    She's actually even younger than that. Taylor has confirmed all the Sisters were rapid-aged as traditional comic book clones (whereas Laura grew normally). We just don't know when on the timeline they were created. I kind of like the fan theory I saw that Gabby inherited Laura's mutation because she was created AFTER the Phoenix restarted the X-Gene.

BANNED

While the cast is sorta underwhelming, for me personally, it's definitely different, a lil' outside the boX, & not what I was eXpectin'.

Nightcrawler was easily the most pleasant surprise of the bunch, and after Jean, who I look forward to the most. I've often paired them together as one of my dream-teams, co-leading & headlining their own book & Mutant grouping. I've always thought there would just be this natural affinity between them, as they're both so soulful, among other things. He even crossed my mind, briefly, beforehand. Just never thought we'd actually get him, 'cause of Gold, so I wrote him off as a non-option. So yeah, psyched & hyped for him most. And look forward to them going together & complimenting each other, like peanut butter & jelly!!

Also LOVE Namor, but... not sure this is a good fit, and would've preferred him in his own solo, and reestablishing Marvel's Atlantis as a force to be reckoned with - in every sense, creatively AND lucratively!! I do look forward to his interactions with Jean, Kurt, & the others tho, just think maybe having him as affiliated only, not a full-time member & as a recurring character instead, would've probably been better. I kinda feel the same way 'bout Laura, but am reserving judgement on her, 'til I actually see it play out. She's more of an unknown quantity to me, so I'm viewing it with a cautious eye.

Gentle was the one I'm most eXcited about, after 'Crawler. Like his look, background, & what he's all about, so find him intriguing, with lots of potential. His inclusion was the most unusual & least predictable, in a good way, I think.

Gabby & the new girl are pretty much in the same boat, I know nothing really, 'bout either. Trinary looks cool, but the name's lame IMO, and brings to mind this less than successful Avengers guy:

Is he still dying?
    GrindrStone(D)

While the cast is underwhelming, I am thrilled Jean is back!! The fact she leads a team is also great news. Maybe Marvel is testing the waters to see if fans like Jean as an official leader, with the team members changing if sales are positive?

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    what if they had cancelled Gold and made this her team?

It would have been a magnificent beginning, but I would want Kitty to still be team field leader and headmistress of the school, at least until Jean is fully back on her feet again!

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple of Redd View Post
    Lol no one hates Kitty and Jean besides the fans of a select character who feel threatened because they have been declared leaders.

Gold in particular is just kinda blah. I almost feel like nothing memorable happens in it for any of the characters, Kitty included.
    Nah, they both just suck as they are being written. It's great that Jean is being given a shot to lead, but Jeen did nothing to "earn" her role, and neither she nor Kitty have done anything to convince me that they're worthy of taking leadership from Storm.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KoriandrJean View Post
    It would have been a magnificent beginning, but I would want Kitty to still be team field leader and headmistress of the school, at least until Jean is fully back on her feet again!
    I'd rather see Jean shoot down Kitty's ideas and just say "ok Xmen you know what to do" when they go into a fight