Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Yeah, that's more or less how we all feel.

But it could be really cool! I think...

Seriously, how could they make this not suck?

I think Sony is really trying to test how well characters connected to Spider-Man work without Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Sony is really trying to test how well characters connected to Spider-Man work without Spider-Man.
    But all these stories without Spider-Man is stupid. Silver Sable and Black Cat without Spider-Man become just other femme fatales. Morbius just becomes another vampire story. Their connection to Spider-Man is what makes them special.

But all these stories without Spider-Man is stupid. Silver Sable and Black Cat without Spider-Man become just other femme fatales. Morbius just becomes another vampire story. Their connection to Spider-Man is what makes them special.
    I never said it was going to end well .

Fantastic Member

I’ll catch the DVD I suppose, I find Morbius boring in the comics with Spider-Man

Extraordinary Member

I think Morbius can work without Spiderman, but he doesn't work absolutely cut off from other comic book elements.

But without Spiderman, Morbius loses something. Spiderman's goodness just highlights how much of a failure Morbius is as a person. I mean, isn't that why we love Morbius? Isn't that what makes him? He's a pathetic man and whIle he tries really hard to be better, something always happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I love Morbius, but I can't imagine this will be interesting.

-Pav, who hopes to be surprised...
    Maybe they should just cater to Twilight/Vampire Diaries fangirls. I mean, will possessive fanboys really be pissed if Morbius of all characters is "taken away" from them?

*Although the 90's animated series was plenty melodramatic in its own right with Morbius's romance with Felicia.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I think Morbius can work without Spiderman, but he doesn't work absolutely cut off from other comic book elements.

But without Spiderman, Morbius loses something. Spiderman's goodness just highlights how much of a failure Morbius is as a person. I mean, isn't that why we love Morbius? Isn't that what makes him? He's a pathetic man and whIle he tries really hard to be better, something always happens.
    The Ultimate comics made him a generally heroic character (his MO was to save people from vampires and staking the turned). He was also the son of Dracula* instead of scientist turn into a "living" vampire in an accident. Maybe something like that would work better for a solo movie. In the context of Ultimate, he was, for all intents and purposes, going about his own business as if he was the star of his own comic series and had a chance encounter with Spidey.

*One weird discrepancy in Ultimate: Ultimate Spider-Man told us that Dracula was an actual vampire, while Ultimate Fantastic Four showed that "Dracula" was exactly like the real-life "Dracula," the Romanian ruler Vlad the Impaler, and an ancestor of Doctor Doom's.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Incredible Member

Always thought Michael Sheen(Underworld, Twilight, The Queen) would make for an excellent Morbius. Thought the early issues of the Midnight Sons MORBIUS comic did an excellent job with the character, and him trying to cure, treat his condition. At least until the mag's writer, Len Kaminski, was pushed out by the artist, Ron Wagner. Because the artist thought the book should've been Morbius bustin' heads, and sucking viens. Instead of him and his friend, Jacob Weinsthal, talking , and researching his condition. Some good horror lite stories came from there.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    The Ultimate comics made him a generally heroic character (his MO was to save people from vampires and staking the turned). He was also the son of Dracula* instead of scientist turn into a "living" vampire in an accident. Maybe something like that would work better for a solo movie. In the context of Ultimate, he was, for all intents and purposes, going about his own business as if he was the star of his own comic series and had a chance encounter with Spidey.

*One weird discrepancy in Ultimate: Ultimate Spider-Man told us that Dracula was an actual vampire, while Ultimate Fantastic Four showed that "Dracula" was exactly like the real-life "Dracula," the Romanian ruler Vlad the Impaler, and an ancestor of Doctor Doom's.
    I never liked this. What makes Morbius fun is that he's a scientific character! And that he's an abject failure in many parts of his life. Plus, wasn't there another issue where they said that vampires in the Ultimate Universe were all had porphyria?
    Quote Originally Posted by The One and Only View Post
    Always thought Michael Sheen(Underworld, Twilight, The Queen) would make for an excellent Morbius. Thought the early issues of the Midnight Sons MORBIUS comic did an excellent job with the character, and him trying to cure, treat his condition. At least until the mag's writer, Len Kaminski, was pushed out by the artist, Ron Wagner. Because the artist thought the book should've been Morbius bustin' heads, and sucking viens. Instead of him and his friend, Jacob Weinsthal, talking , and researching his condition. Some good horror lite stories came from there.
    I liked those early issues! You see, Morbius can work as a concept, but it's not easy.

Personally, I think what would work better for Morbius as a movie is if they went with something like Deadpool. Not entirely like Deadpool, but something funny and violent and which is aware of the ridiculousness of the concept and yet is happy to explore some of the drama as well as the humor.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Maybe they should just cater to Twilight/Vampire Diaries fangirls. I mean, will possessive fanboys really be pissed if Morbius of all characters is "taken away" from them?

*Although the 90's animated series was plenty melodramatic in its own right with Morbius's romance with Felicia.
    I'd find it hilarious if this movie's major marketing push involves targeting the Twilight fans .

If it were Disney making the film, it would be like Wizards of Waverly Place.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    If it were Disney making the film, it would be like Wizards of Waverly Place.
    The horror. The horror.

I never liked this. What makes Morbius fun is that he's a scientific character! And that he's an abject failure in many parts of his life.
    I think it was the character's only Ultimate appearance. I wasn't a huge fan of the character (about all I knew was that he'd been on the cartoon and drank plasma instead of blood), so I was pretty indifferent to it. On top of that, the story was more about Spidey finding vampires and getting in over his head than it was about Morbius.

Plus, wasn't there another issue where they said that vampires in the Ultimate Universe were all had porphyria?
    I'm not sure, but given that the nature of Dracula in Ultimate (a de facto bloodsucker or the historical figure that inspired a legend of a bloodsucker, like in real life) had mutually contradictory accounts, I wouldn't be surprised if there were other ideas out there that didn't mesh. (On the other hand, the Marvel comics have always seemed to suggest there are different kinds of vampires; the Runaways encountered a group of vampires that seemed to have little to no free will beyond their leader, while X-Men's Jubilee was able to hang on to her humanity after being vampirized.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member

Yes, Marvel has had established "clans" of vampires since that X-Men storyline at least. Morbius in the main MU universe isn't technically part of Dracula's vampire empire and Dracula really doesn't want him there at all. That's part of my problem with Morbius's portrayal in the Ultimate Universe, it didn't feel unique and you already had questions about Dracula anyways. I know the Ultimate Universe is a popular place to get movie ideas, but for this, there's a problem.

Dear God, just so long as they don't make it Twilight...anything but that!