Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Marvel vs DC... through the mediums

So, who's winning between these 2 perennial rivals? I'm not talking about just comics or films aor eveything together but medium for medium. For example DC could be ahead as far as comics are concerned but be behind when it comes to films.

So in YOUR OPINION who's winning between Marvel and DC in the following categories:

COMICS:
    MOVIES:
    TV SERIES:
    ANIMATION:

For me I say Comics is a tie, Movies is Marvel, TV Series is a tie, and Animation is DC.

Oh I think Video Games can also go to DC too. Injustice 2 is totally kicking Marvel VS Capcom Infinite's ass.

COMICS: I personally prefer Marvel, but tbh DC seems more put together these days from what I hear.
    MOVIES: Marvel
    TV SERIES: Marvel
    ANIMATION: DC

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Haquim View Post
    So, who's winning between these 2 perennial rivals? I'm not talking about just comics or films aor eveything together but medium for medium. For example DC could be ahead as far as comics are concerned but be behind when it comes to films.

So in YOUR OPINION who's winning between Marvel and DC in the following categories:

COMICS:
    MOVIES:
    TV SERIES:
    ANIMATION:
    Note: I am looking at the entire publishing history. I am counting shows/movies outside the MCU and DCEU. And everything is IMHO.

Comics: DC gets the nod for 1930s - early 1960s. Then Marvel from early 1960s - mid 1980s, DC again from mid 1980s through early 2000s. Then Marvel from early 2000s through now.
    Movies: DC up until 1999. Marvel from 1999 to present.
    TV series: DC up to the 70s. Marvel while the Incredible Hulk aired. Then there was a dearth of live action TV for a few decades. Now, it's split pretty evenly. Marvel has SHIELD, Agent Carter, the Netflix shows, Legion, and other upcoming. DC has the Arrowverse, Gotham, Lucifer, and other upcoming.
    Animation: DC up to the 80s. Marvel was beter in the 80s with Amazing Spider-Man/Incredible Hulk. Since then, DC has won consistently. Most of Marvel series are forgettable. Some such as X-Men animated were good, but don't match up to Batman: The Animated Series or Justice League. Spectacular Spider-Man is the only series that is the same level as the DC series.

Right now, I would say

Comics: Marvel
    Movies: Marvel
    TV: Tied
    Animation: DC

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    For me I say Comics is a tie, Movies is Marvel, TV Series is a tie, and Animation is DC.

Oh I think Video Games can also go to DC too. Injustice 2 is totally kicking Marvel VS Capcom Infinite's ass.
    Video Games: DC

Marvel hasn't released anything up to the Arkham Asylum series.

Extraordinary Member

Comics: That is a matter of opinion. DC seems to be doing better in some ways, but so much of it is only Batman. At least Marvel seems to working to make the most of their other franchises.
    Movies: Marvel all the way! How is Warner Brothers having so many problems with their movies?
    TV: Marvel seems to be a bit more stable but DC has its fans and could pull in front at some point.
    Animation: DC just does it better, which makes their inability to work as movies all the more frustrating.

You are right, videogames is a legitimate category as well.
    Here's what I think.

COMICS: DC. I'm way more of a Marvel fan but in the wake of the success that was Secret Wars it seems like Marvel outdid itself to lose ground. Pricing is an issue as well but they need to go back telling compelling stories with compelling characters and antagonists.
    MOVIES: Marvel. The MCU is a huge success both critically and financially. The DCU is a mixed bag, and that's being kind.
    TV SERIES: Marvel. But mostly due to Netflix shows being msotly very good, otherwise DC would have been better than Marvel in this category imo.
    ANIMATION: DC. Marvel did a couple of interesting series back in the day but DC animation is superior by a wide margin.
    VIDEOGAMES: DC. Again, mostly because of the Harkam and Injustice series. Marvel had a few good games to its name but not enough to compete with these 2 killer application series.

I feel like comics and TV will be a more subjective thing because, objectively, I would say that DC has carved out a pretty good niche for it's TV shows on the CW (and on Fox as well) while Marvel has been more successful with their Netflix streaming shows.

And obviously their shows are aimed at far different audiences. The person DC wants to watch The Flash isn't necessarily the person Marvel wants watching Daredevil. And Inhumans on ABC ended up becoming a giant bust on a level none of the CW shows have ever been, and not being the one-season wonder Constantine was.

Comics-wise Marvel obviously holds sway with market share as the top dog, but it can always be disputed just how much of that is really accurate and obviously people are going to have different tastes as far as the comics they enjoy and which company they feel is doing "right."

Movies Marvel, comics a wash, animation DC

The most lopsided part is animation. DC animation stomps Marvel animation.

BANNED

marvel vs dc was always a draw and factually opinionated, until somewhere around 2010ish when disney took over. for the last 7 years or so, DC has been the superior brand to marvel. disney destroyed marvel from a quality and artistic stand point.

there is no medium of DC I cannot enjoy today.
    The one thing I will point out about your categories is that , the one marvel IP that has succeeded and constantly proven very strong in those categories you mentioned is X-Men and maybe Spiderman (movies, animation, tv comics I will add games as well), but Disney has also spent the last 5 years trying to destroy xmen too.

So in two ways, the joke is on marvel

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Comics: Swings and roundabouts. At the moment it's D.C but there've been times when I've preferred Marvel so I'll say it's pretty even.
    Animated: I lean towards D.C. on this one as I've seen more animated stuff from them that I like compared to Marvel.
    Films: Marvel. Not even close IMO.
    Games: Pretty even so I'll say a tie to this one.
    TV Series: I think I lean towards D.C. at this stage. It's still fairly early days for The Gifted (and I've got two episodes to catch up on with that) as well as Inhumans but I enjoy them at the moment. I've never been keen on Agents of Shield or Agent Carter. I do enjoy Daredevil and Jessica Jones. Can't comment on Luke Cage, Iron Fist or Defenders as they've yet to be released on DVD and I don't have Netflix so I can't comment on Punisher. As for D.C. I wasn't keen on Constantine or Gotham but I enjoy Supergirl, Flash, Arrow and Legends. I used to enjoy Smallville and Lois and Clark as well back in the day. So...at the moment I'll say D.C. but it could be a tie.

Extraordinary Member

I don't know, it just feels like DC is trying to work just with Batman. And that is a risky thing, but especially with the movies which, let's be honest, don't seem to be doing too well.

BANNED

COMICS: The superhero stuff is about the same. Marvel has Stars Wars though while DC has let Vertigo become irrelevant.
    MOVIES: Marvel by a country mile.
    TV SERIES: Going to call a draw. Marvel's are generally of a higher quality. DC's are much more fun to watch.
    GAMES: Marvel isn't even trying.
    ANIMATION: not informed enough to even know what either of them is even doing at the moment.

I don't touch DC stuff. so put me down for Marvel.

COMICS: I'm more of a marvel fan girl but lately, I've been buying more DC and enjoying what I've been reading. So it swings back and forth for me.
    MOVIES: This is hard for me because I like seriousness in my comic movies. I don't mind jokes but Marvel movies are saturated in them and it annoys me at times. On the other hand, seriousness doesn't mean the movie is better overall. So Marvel...for the moment
    TV SERIES: I'm going to go with Marvel for the moment. DC is close behind.
    ANIMATION: DC hands down.
    Pull List: Angel Season 11, Astonishing X-Men, Uncanny Avengers, X-Men Blue, X-Men Gold, Secret Warriors Super Sons, Teen Titans