Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The Batman Who Laughs #1 [preview]

https://t.co/jmemGTQ7VH

I can’t be the only one who has been looking forward to this since he showed up, I dig Tynion’s horror aspect so I’m excited.

I think there is a thread for this. Or at least 2 threads for this already.

Quote Originally Posted by WontonGirl View Post
    I think there is a thread for this. Or at least 2 threads for this already.
    Dang I just saw it.

But maybe the moderator will just merge them into just one topic

We fell in the same trap..

I'm guessing the little girl is Carrie Kelly.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Easily the best of the one shots, this was such a gruesome story.

Always Rakzo

Really liked this one. At its core is a horror story and easily the most terrifying tale of the Dark Batmen. This makes me realize that Tynion should simply write one-shots since those deliver his best efforts instead of long arcs where his flaws get more and more obvious.

Rossmo's artwork was pretty fitting as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Really liked this one. At its core is a horror story and easily the most terrifying tale of the Dark Batmen. This makes me realize that Tynion should simply write one-shots since those deliver his best efforts instead of long arcs where his flaws get more and more obvious.

Rossmo's artwork was pretty fitting as well.
    Tynion has an eye for horror, Eugenic (if that’s the name) only has two issues, but very solid.

This issue has been really uncomfortable to read.

spoilers:
    I felt sickened upon what was going to happen to poor little Jon. Little kids, such a sensitive thing to write about...
    end of spoilers

I would have appreciated some kind of twist to the character, because it was pretty straight forward. Other than that, this has been one of the best one-shots, and I think it has lived up pretty well to the hype.

And now that we know the backstory of all the nightmare batmen, I have to say that I have loved how each issue remited to different aspects of the horror genre.

I also have to say that I haven't got even the slightest idea as to how are the heroes going to solve the conflict, considering that there are only three more main issues left to be published, and that we know that there is an incoming invasion from the dark multiverse.

I hope the reamining issues don't feel too packed, because this event is too good to have everything feel rushed.

BANNED

So I had an argument with another poster some days ago over Tomasi not acknowledging Cass Cain. This issue was written by Tynion and whilst I haven't actually read it I understand it had Dick,Jason,Damian,Tim and Babs.

Similarly Batwoman which I did read hilariously had a group shot with Damian,Babs,Jason and Tim.

So if Tynion and Bennet are failing to acknowledge their existence elsewhere then why do fans act as if Tomasi or King owe them something?

Quote Originally Posted by Barbatos666 View Post
    So I had an argument with another poster some days ago over Tomasi not acknowledging Cass Cain. This issue was written by Tynion and whilst I haven't actually read it I understand it had Dick,Jason,Damian,Tim and Babs.

Similarly Batwoman which I did read hilariously had a group shot with Damian,Babs,Jason and Tim.

So if Tynion and Bennet are failing to acknowledge their existence elsewhere then why do fans act as if Tomasi or King owe them something?
    Because right now Tynion is the only one writing Cass. I'm sure she will be unhappy when she sees the snob. That or blame it on Synder whispering in Tynion's ears.

I thought i would like this one but instead i didn't. I found it rather simple and rushed, and i knew it was gonna be dark and grotesque but it all just kind of fell flat.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Because right now Tynion is the only one writing Cass. I'm sure she will be unhappy when she sees the snob. That or blame it on Synder whispering in Tynion's ears.
    That's what I'm saying though. Tynion has such heavy involvement in Metal. He oversaw all the Dark Knight one shot and wrote this one. He co wrote Dark Days one shots and Batman Lost. He and Williamson are Snyder's right hands in this event and yet not a hint of Cass or Steph.

You can only blame Didio or Tomasi for so long before you start wondering that maybe its not really a case of hatred but more a case of utter indifference.

This felt kinda dull. Serviceable but dull.

I feel like after so many 'evil' batmen both from within the Metal tie ins and also in other comics, eg; GCG which featured evil Bruce snapping Commissioner Gordons neck, or that Halloween special which featured a psychotic Bruce beating and killing Jason, this all felt kinda predictable and just not shocking enough at this point. I don't know, I guess I was expecting something a bit more vicious for a Joker Batman. I mean, I'm not one for gratuitousness, but come on, when you have a character as cheesy and edgy 90s as this you have to go all out. Besides that ONE page where the truth comes out, there wasnt really anything either shocking or brutal enough to me within the rest of the book. At least nothing that we haven't seen already in other tie ins. Maybe more gruesome or horrific details presented of his plans for humanity rather than a monologue about how big and bad he is would have helped? I don't know.

BANNED

Serviecable is the right word but the highest hype behind it it was bound to dissapoint the most.

I think the one I really, really enjoyed on quality writting and art was Murder Machine. That was not only horror, it was horror done well. It`s weird because it was the one I was least interested (actually, no, Dawnbrealer would be it) but it surprised me the most in the positive.