Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Old games (and series) you miss.

Our podcast this week covered a trio of games that we played when we were younger but haven't quite seen lately. We came up with the Legacy of Kain series, Star Wars Bounty Hunter, and Battlefield: Bad Company.
    https://www.buzzsprout.com/admin/epi...nd-bad-company

What games do you guys miss?
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Devil May Cry

Hasn't been a new installment in the original series since 2008.

There was the 2013 reboot DmC: Devil May Cry. Controversial when it was announced and released but in retrospect it is ultimately okay for what it is - decent action brawler with the overly easy gameplay and silly story set aside. Apparently the Special Edition rerelease fixes the gameplay compaints, but I played DmC on PC where the SE was never released and I don't like the game enough to buy it again on console.

There was also the 2015 rerelease of DMC4 that added three new playable characters, including fan-favorite Vergil. The new characters are fun to use but their "new" campaigns just had them running through the same missions and doing the exact same things as the original Dante/Nero playthrough (which was notoriously rushed and had Dante running through all of Nero's missions and fighting the exact same bosses but in reverse) with some short cutscenes added at the start and end.

I feel that mythic Number 5 is long overdue - maybe it will happen since Hideaki Itsuno (creative director of DMC3 and 4) has a mystery project in the works but I'm keeping my hopes slim.

(on the topic of Hideaki Itsuno games, a Dragon's Dogma sequel would be neat as well)

(Couple of months ago I'd have said Metroid as well, sometimes miracles do happen! Might just have to buy a Switch now!)
    Last edited by Hilden B. Lade; 11-17-2017 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    Devil May Cry

Hasn't been a new installment in the original series since 2008.

There was the 2013 reboot DmC: Devil May Cry. Controversial when it was announced and released but in retrospect it is ultimately okay for what it is - decent action brawler with the overly easy gameplay and silly story set aside. Apparently the Special Edition rerelease fixes the gameplay compaints, but I played DmC on PC where the SE was never released and I don't like the game enough to buy it again on console.

There was also the 2015 rerelease of DMC4 that added three new playable characters, including fan-favorite Vergil. The new characters are fun to use but their "new" campaigns just had them running through the same missions and doing the exact same things as the original Dante/Nero playthrough (which was notoriously rushed and had Dante running through all of Nero's missions and fighting the exact same bosses but in reverse) with some short cutscenes added at the start and end.

I feel that mythic Number 5 is long overdue - maybe it will happen since Hideaki Itsuno (creative director of DMC3 and 4) has a mystery project in the works but I'm keeping my hopes slim.

(on the topic of Hideaki Itsuno games, a Dragon's Dogma sequel would be neat as well)

(Couple of months ago I'd have said Metroid as well, sometimes miracles do happen! Might just have to buy a Switch now!)
    Supposedly DMC5 is in the works and will be announced at PSX. The guy who leaked it is the same guy who leaked other things that turned out to be true (TMNT being in Injustice 2).

It could be bullshit, but let's keep our fingers crossed. Playing DMC4SE made me remember just how badly I miss this franchise.

Mighty Member

Wild Arms
    Skies of Arcadia
    Shenmue (yes, I know Shenmue III has been crowdfunded, but until I see it in stores, it doesn't exist yet)
    Beyond Good and Evil (same as Shenmue, I won't believe a sequel exists until it's in stores)

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Basara View Post
    Wild Arms
    Skies of Arcadia
    Shenmue (yes, I know Shenmue III has been crowdfunded, but until I see it in stores, it doesn't exist yet)
    Beyond Good and Evil (same as Shenmue, I won't believe a sequel exists until it's in stores)
    All of this, yes. Also from Sega, the original turn based Phantasy Star games, though I can't really think of any way to continue a series that ended so perfectly.
    Streets of Rage
    Ristar
    Jet Set Radio
    Vectorman
    Sonic Battle

Also:

Grandia
    Power Stone
    And a classic-style Breath of Fire game would be nice as well.

I'm not sure if they have been out long enough, but I'd also like to see continuations of Asura's Wrath, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, and Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed.

Bushido Blade (the first one) - tactical sword-fighting with stances, choice of weapons, an emphasis on blocking and parrying and potential one-shot kills
    Tenchu - one of the best stealth games with a nice atmosphere
    Metal Gear Acid - card-based tactics rpg
    Final Fantasy Tactics - the grandaddy of isometric turn-based strategy troop rpgs, with an extensive character leveling system
    Avengers Alliance - the grandaddy of the collectable hero squad fighters, had a huge roster of characters and just needed a graphical update
    Avengers Alliance Tactics - Avengers Alliance meets Final Fantasy Tactics
    Shadowrun (Genesis) - true to the pen & paper rpg with great character progression and randomized missions
    Goldeneye (N64) - where I learned that that being a camping sniper with explosive booby traps can take on jumpy-runny Doomers
    My Fitness Coach (the first one; Wii) - the randomized workout session was the best and had great progress tracking
    Eternal Champions (Genesis)- a 2D fighting game with a programmable Danger Room
    Wing Commander: Privateer - a space game that focused more on doing a variety of random missions than on pew pew
    Master of Orion 2 - the 4x game that made me actually like 4x games
    Myst - an impressive mystique and experience
    Tomb Raider - the game that perfectly balanced combat with puzzle solving and exploration
    Castlevania - just because it's Castlevania; one of the best 2d side-scrollers
    Pit Fighter - the realistic character models were amazing
    Mortal Kombat 3 - the peak of the MK ninjas in the classic game series
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Darkstalkers. It's been (just about) twenty years since the third game came out and it would be lovely for all the great characters that don't get to appear in Marvel vs. Capcom or any other Capcom crossover fighting games to get some shine after all this time. I'd absolutely enjoy the crap out of a new Darkstalkers game with modernized graphics and improved gameplay --- like a better version of Street Fighter IV/V or even Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Panzer Dargoon.

Astonishing Member

Street Fighter Alpha.
    Streets of Rage.
    Disney 2d platform games.(As QuackShot: Donald Duck)
    Road Rash.
    Shinobi.
    Last edited by comicscollector; 12-02-2017 at 02:30 AM.

Dino Crisis. Loved the first game, the second was pretty good too.

Extraordinary Member

Star Wars Rogue Squadron: Rogue Leader was my favorite Gamecube game, and the cancelled Wii game needs to be released.

Chrono series: Chrono Trigger is the best JRPG of all time, and the series should not have ended with Cross in the PS1 era.

The Sonic Adventure Games. Playing Forces made me realize I haven't legitimately enjoyed a Sonic Game since Heroes and I haven't loved one since Adventure 2. If we could just get one more game in the same vain as the first two Adventures (or at least HD remakes of those games like we got with Crash Bandicoot), I'd be fine with never liking a Sonic game again.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    The Sonic Adventure Games. Playing Forces made me realize I haven't legitimately enjoyed a Sonic Game since Heroes and I haven't loved one since Adventure 2. If we could just get one more game in the same vain as the first two Adventures (or at least HD remakes of those games like we got with Crash Bandicoot), I'd be fine with never liking a Sonic game again.
    Have you played Sonic Unleashed? I believe that it's called Sonic World Adventure in Japan, and its hub world system with anthropomorphic animals and human beings sharing the same setting, combined with shifting between drastically different gameplay styles, and a plot about Eggman using the Chaos Emeralds to summon a cosmic horror whom he plans to use to allow him to build Eggmanland, fits the Sonic Adventure theme pretty well, though there is a learning curve that I'm still figuring out. It's also got top tier music and graphics, and one of the better stories in the series.

Chip can be kind of grating, but I find him a lot more tolerable with his childish Japanese voice rather than his more adult English voice.

Jak and Daxter
    Prince of persia

Darkstalkers should have a crossover with DMC.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

It's not really old, but i miss Killzone. The PS4 game was ok but something was off. It wasn't as intense and white knuckle as the first 3 games. I LOVED the intense military science fiction of the boots on the ground action in the middle of a interplanetary war-zone of 1, 2 & 3. There's not a lot of boots on the ground epic war games anymore. That's what i loved about Resistance 1 & 2, KZ 1, 2 & 3, COD:MW 2 & 3. Even Infinite Warfare (which was a better Halo game than Halo 4 & 5). For some strange reason FPS has regressed back to "lone wolf" one man army scenarios.
    Last edited by Madam-Shogun-Assassin; 05-19-2018 at 10:05 AM.