View Poll Results: What did you think of "Justice League"?

Voters
231. You may not vote on this poll
  • Amazing, one of if not the best comic book movie

15 6.49%
  • Very good, enjoyable and engaging, worth seeing again

128 55.41%
  • Alright, watchable, but nothing special; a bit of a disappointment

61 26.41%
  • A bad movie overall, a huge disappointment

21 9.09%
  • A disgrace, a total bomb, an aberration, Worst. Movie.Ever.

6 2.60%
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Default How did YOU like Zack Snyder's Justice League? (NO SPOILERS-Vote after watching)

We have some of our very own catching the movie early and the rest of us will be able to see it in just a few days now. Please vote and explain your choice without giving any spoilers away (until like a month later I guess).

Some talking points:

How did you like the overall plot/storyline?

How did you find the tone?

How did you like the individual characterizations and the characters' interactions?

Did you like the action sequences?

How do you think general audiences will react to it?

And do you think the future of the franchise looks bright, dark, or still unsteady after this film?

It gives me great relief to be the first vote in this poll and to give it the top possible score. (I'm just home from Monday night screening in Houston.) Responses to talking points in bold and underline (to distinguish from yours) below..

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    Some talking points:

How did you like the overall plot/storyline? The plot/storyline was the film's only shortcoming. I think that would have been fixed by an extra 30 minutes. Such an arbitrary and creativity-quashing thing to prescribe the time of the film from on high. I didn't mind the plot but it was thin and wasn't the point of the movie. The point, which is achieved so well, was the characters and their relationships.

How did you find the tone? Hard to say in a way. The stakes were high but these characters were having fun together. Not in the way the Avengers did in their first film which felt cheap to me. The fun in this film comes directly from the relationships which are all familiar to longtime fans.

How did you like the individual characterizations and the characters' interactions? This was the film's strongest point and it's why the movie is so great.

Did you like the action sequences? Yes, they were incredible. I'll quote a tweet that I saw somewhere that said there were more "Batman" Batman moments in this film than in any prior one. Enjoy the warehouse fight in BvS? I did. This movie made me forget it from the sheer amount of wonderful action sequences with great moments for each and every character.

How do you think general audiences will react to it? I hope I'm not wrong. I honestly think it will be very popular.

And do you think the future of the franchise looks bright, dark, or still unsteady after this film?As bright as bright can be. This was one of the things that was making me so excited while watching it: what it mean for the future of DC films.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

2nd guy on the board. Damn good, and enjoyable, movie we have here. Very much a marriage of two styles, but still very much Snyder's, and it is NOT a drastic departure from the tone of Mos, and BvS:UE. It's a clear continuation, and natural change. Basically Terrio coming through on the promise he made PRIOR to the release of BvS.

The weakest part of the movie, only because it's purposely thin. It was fine.

It was a natural progression of the tone from BvS:UE. Light when appropriate, or if that's what/how the character would say/react. Nothing drastic, which is good.

How did you like the individual characterizations and the characters' interactions?

These versions of Wonder Woman, and Batman, are THE definitive versions. Period. The only way Batfleck is allowed to stop being Batman is if he's killed off, or his Bruce relinquishes the mantle of Batman. Period. He's a perfect blend of the comic, BTAS, and video game Batman. Barry was good as our proxy into all the craziness. His reaction to seeing Steppenwolf the first time is priceless. Aquabro was fun, but he didn't get as much as Victor, and Barry, due to his movie being next (I'm guessing). Tho,
    it fit his loner characterization. Supes is back, and he's honestly like Geoff Johns' and Greg Pak's take on New52 Superman, which is a good thing IMO.

Steppenwolf doesn't get too much, which is fine (you'll see why), but his characterization as a desperate, pompous and formidable, veteran general is very good. He's got the best dialogue besides Bruce and Diana.

The action sequences are not the pinnacle, but very good, and very clear. DAT SUPERMAN FIGHT SCENE, THO....

The only CBM this year that comes close is Logan, when it comes to fights.

I think they'll enjoy it very well. It's like Avengers, but it takes itself more seriously. Should make a billion.

And do you think the future of the franchise looks bright, dark, or still unsteady after this film?

It depends on the stories are told, but based off the ending (the 2nd end credits scene) it's looking DAMN bright. I'm serious, if they do what they say they will....it looks like WB/DC is building up to two glorious all-out wars of god-like proportions.

Overall, I'd give it an 8-8.5/10. 2nd best CBM this year, after Logan.
    Last edited by TooFlyToFail; 11-14-2017 at 12:00 AM.

TheSupernaut please!

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I hope to have a review up on my blog soon but I just got back from seeing it. My response falls basically between the "all right" and "very good" options. It certainly wasn't a disappointment but it's undoubtedly flawed.

Very weak. By far the worst part of the film and it felt secondary at best to everything else going on. Superhero movies aren't really known for their plots but this was still pretty bad.

Now this is more like it! Fun, humorous and genuinely heroic.

I don't understand why Cyborg is now a founding member in the comics and I don't get it here. He's mostly just a boring, "angry black man" without much else going for him. Otherwise, the characters and character interactions were great. I'm still not sold on Cavill as Superman but he isn't as mopey here as he was in the past - though the weird CGI work they did to remove his moustache is very off putting. Beyond that, the rest of the League were great fun and their interactions were the film's biggest selling point. Wonder Woman is still the standout but the Flash, Batman and Aquaman are very enjoyable too - even if not always comic-book-faithful.

Largely nothing we haven't seen before but Wonder Woman and Flash do have some pretty great action scenes.

After the morose and boring BVS, I'm sure general audiences will get a kick out of it. The Flash will especially come out as a fan favourite.

This film is basically a reboot in terms of tone and feel, bringing much of what made Wonder Woman great to the rest of the DCEU. It's nowhere near as good as Wonder Woman - and if you think the villains in Wonder Woman sucked, wait until you see Steppenwolf - but it's still, by quite some distance, the second best film in the DCEU. Better things are still to come, though, I'm sure.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Worst movie of the year and easily Snyder's worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Vit Skorpion View Post
    Worst movie of the year
    I think it's safe to assume most will disagree with this.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

I think it's safe to assume most will disagree with this.
    Dunno whether to believe this poster probs a troll, look at their post count and activity, unlike the others here they didn't leave a single opinion on anything.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

My toughts about "Justice League":

- I really liked this movie. A lot. More than I expected.

- It's definitely lighter than "Man of Steel" and "Batman v Superman". And with a lot of humor, mostly from the Flash. But, thankfully, it doesn't feels like a MCU movie.

- Some guy on facebook made a comparison with which I totally agree. This movie feels like a Grant Morrison's JLA story or an episode of the 2000's Justice League cartoon brought to live-action.

- Yes, the pacing feels rushed, especially in the first half. That stupid "2 hour" mandate definitely was a problem. I think more 20 minutes of runtime would have allowed the narrative to flow better.

- I can't praise the cast enough. EVERYBODY was great in their respective roles. And the chemistry between them was amazing.

- The action sequences were breathtaking. But, hey, it's Zack Snyder! You really expected something else?

- The plot is pretty straighforward. So, I don't know from where this "messy" talk is coming.

- Most reshoot scenes are not perceptible, but some are. A LOT. And, to be honest, some of these new scenes felt...pointless. Like, they were there just to add some "funny" quip.

- Unlike what some people are claiming, most Superman scenes are not reshoots. But in the scenes that clearly were, the moustache removal was a problem. Like, seriously, what was so hard about making a CGI nose exactly the same as Henry Cavill's?

- The score was generic and forgetabble. No, Danny Elfman, using John Williams' Superman theme and your Batman theme don't make a score "cool".

- No, Steppenwolf was not a "bad villain". He was not as well developed as Zod and Lex Luthor, but was scary, menacing and a badass in the action scenes, exactly as a good villain should be.

- Yes, unfortunately a lot of scenes shown in the trailers were cut.

- The first post-credits scene was just "okay" to me. It felt more like "fanservice" than anything else. But the second post-credits scene, and its implications for the DCEU, left me craving for more.

- Within Zack Snyder's DCEU trilogy, this movie is the "least good", the "weakest link". It lacks the depth, the "weight" of MoS and BvS. And, still, it's a pretty good movie. I'm definitely going to watch it again next week.

- In short, everything great about this movie was thanks to Zack Snyder and Chris Terrio. Joss Whedon did reasonably well the task for which he was assigned, most of times. The fault for any flaws still belongs to Warner Bros.

My current DCEU ranking:

Batman v Superman > Man of Steel > Justice League > Wonder Woman > Suicide Squad
    Last edited by Thomas Crown; 11-16-2017 at 02:24 PM.
    "Longtime fans will read the book and bitch about it NO MATTER WHAT."

- Grant Morrison

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vit Skorpion View Post
    Worst movie of the year and easily Snyder's worst.
    Ignoring the second point, if you think this is the worst movie of the year, you need to see more movies.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Not a bad movie, but completely forgettable
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Just watched it. It's very fun and moves like a freight train to the finish line.

If Wonder Woman & The Avengers had baby delivered with the same visual style as Man of Steel & BvS, you'd have Justice League.

It is very much a Frankenstein monster of two very different filmmakers, but it sorta works if you squint a bit at the lack of connective tissue that's missing to keep that 2 hour running time.

What works more than outwieghs what doesn't, the trinity is all given a good showing. Affleck, Gadot & Cavill are very effective. It's a shame Superman isn't given enough time with them to develop any kind of rapport with them, for instance, Superman & WW still don't have any kind of relationship. Again, time constraints probably nixed this, because the bits he has with Lois & Ma Kent, in addition to his scenes with Bruce & Barry are nicely crafted.

The Flash & Aquaman are both very well served. They both get just enough development that we want to see more from them. Cyborg is just sort of there because the plot requires him to be. If you are a big Cyborg fan, maybe you'll dig this, but he's the least fun and interesting of the bunch. There's no way he's getting a solo film out of this.

Steppenwolf is a CGI baddie...and all that entails. He's not really there to be much more than a threat that brings the League together. He's serviceable, but a flesh and blood actor could have brought more to the table here.

If I had to rank them, Wonder Woman is still the gold standard, with Justice League, Man of Steel, the Director's cut of BvS, then Suicide Squad and the theatrical cut of BvS (both of which barely function as movies)

If you don't go in expecting a masterpeice, it's a very fun time. Lots of laughs and eye candy. Fun group dynamics. Cool action. I can't imagine too many people being put off by this movie, except for the most vocal BvS diehards who like their superheroes grim, dark and tortured. This is most decidely NOT that.

I've been among the "I love what the DCEU has given to us" crowd since Zack made MOS. Even though I recognize SS is not a good movie, I still have fun watching it. And I love BvS. It's one of my favourite CBM. While I really loved WW, BvS is more to my liking.

Not that the introduction is done: Justice League? I dig it!

I was afraid it would feel like a MCU movie, and MCU movies are not my cup of tea, even though I like several of them. But it never feels that way. The tone is very similar to WW's tone. The stakes feel real, the movie takes itself seriously, but there are several lighter moments, humor that comes from the situation and doesn't feel out ot place and some scenes even manage to be moving (looking at you Henry Allen).

The cast is incredible. Ezra is the Flash. He brings so much genuinge humor and emotion. It's the first movie I see him in (I'm not counting BvS and SS since he's in it for 10 seconds) and he was amazing. I really liked Ray Fisher as well. Momoa was great and he was way more than just Aquabro. You can feel how his story is interesting even though the movie doesn't spend a lot of time with him.

The trinity was incredible. We already knew Gal and Ben were born to play their role, but this time, even Cavill gets his due. Not that I think he wasn't great before (because he was), but I think this time he will win the audience's heart for good. He really feels like the classic Superman. You could say he's the rebirth superman in a way. He was in it an adaquate time, but I'm sure most people will want to see more of him. He speaks a damn lot this time around too. His return scene was amazing and even kinda frightening.

Speaking of which, the action scene a, once again, really creative and different from what you see in other CBM. There are a lot of action but most of the fights are not that long. Even the climax is not very long. But every action scene offers a great hero moment. I think WW's introduction is one of the best showing she ever had. The history lesson, while short, is as legendary as you may think. There is also a very creative chase involving a mother box that was breathtaking.

The story was simple, but effective and allowed every hero to have his moment. Their interactions were really good and in line with what you would read in a good comic book. It definitely feels like the Grant Morrison JLA in the sense that every hero has a chance to shine and every single one is well written.

Steppenwolf was a really intimidating villain with a great presence. He was a legitimate threat to the world and to the team.

Zack is a great visual director and it shows: some shots are simply glorious. It's a beautiful movie to look at. It really feels like a sequel to both MOS and BvS in that regard.

Elfman was the only disappointment to me. I mean, his score is effective and works in the context of the movie, but it's totally forgettable and I can't forgive him for not using MOS theme or what are you going to do when you're not saving the world.

I prefer BvS, because it was such an ambitious, interesting and different movie, but I really loved Justice LEague. It made me want to watch again the other movies and the next ones.

Amazing Member

Watched the movie yesterday and sigh...

Me and a buddy of mine went in with the lowest expectations, we didn't read anything, look at the ratings, nothing and we were still horribly disappointed. Literally at the same things at the same time.
    If you're going to watch a DC movie, I'd recommend never watching the trailers again before going. They wasted so much good material on the trailers. At least 1/3 of it I was like, "yup, seen that. yup, got that".
    The movie was almost set up to fail despite amazing casting and performances. I wasn't keen on the way Aquaman spoke and Cycborg's look and the fact that he was in the movie but damn was I wrong, they both nailed it! All of them did. I literally can't find anything wrong with the actors and how well the did.

(you should stop reading here if you don't want to go in with a tainted perception)

Why was this movie set up to fail? It was a number of things combined.

1. Expectation - As a DC fan going back to growing up to Keaton's Batman, this movie has been hyped for most of my life. Even more so since Marvel phase 1 started. Just the thought of, wow can't wait for DC to do this! So regardless of how well it turns out, it will still somewhat fall short in your head.

2. Trailers - as mentioned earlier, lots of material, plot and such was given away in them. I actually told my friend exactly what would happen down to the time frame and he'd just turn to me in the cinema ever now and again and be like hey! you said that. You could literally piece the whole movie from the trailers. Now, I remember watching Guardians of the Galaxy 2 trailers and not knowing anything about the movie.

3. A bloody mess - it was all just a big mess that was rushed into nothing really. The flow was just bad but could have been worse I'll admit. There were major disappointments in some parts of the story. For someone who feels the music is just as important, the score was a real mess. I was really excited for the music because I didn't hear a Justice League theme song in the trailers and I was excited for a specific score from the last trailer. It was a mess. Horrible plot holes that I might be wrong about I'll concede that much.

There are a few things I'd give it credit for where I feel there were criticisms:

1. Villain - I've been reading about how generic and thinly plotted it was. Well, firstly the voice acting was great. Secondly, you'll be distracted from the mess of the overall movie to pay attention to flaws specific to him. Thirdly, I thought it was going to be another Ares, but he stood on his own despite looking somewhat similar.

2. CGI - the graphics were amazing, everything was very well done. The parademons looked great! way better than the Chitauri. Fight scenes were well done. On this end, everything was on point.

3. It can only get better - the movie is shaky and seems to be finding its feet which it doesn't really end up doing. From the looks of things it can only get better. It set up a good starting point and should be more polished on the second round.

Final thoughts - everyone here has to and will watch it regardless of what I say. Just try your best to keep an open mind especially if you're not a layman. Look at it as a first bet rather than an all-in scenario. Even though I wasn't happy with it, I sure hope it is successful because they have a great cast. They just need someone better in-charge to paint a better picture.
    Last edited by Aesthete18; 11-16-2017 at 01:36 AM.

better than several Marvel movies, but they cut out so damn much for no reason
    The J-man