View Poll Results: What did you think of "Justice League"?

Voters
231. You may not vote on this poll
  • Amazing, one of if not the best comic book movie

15 6.49%
  • Very good, enjoyable and engaging, worth seeing again

128 55.41%
  • Alright, watchable, but nothing special; a bit of a disappointment

61 26.41%
  • A bad movie overall, a huge disappointment

21 9.09%
  • A disgrace, a total bomb, an aberration, Worst. Movie.Ever.

6 2.60%
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    That was good. As begrudging as I am to admit it, the character interaction between these two was pretty solid. Actually, everyone's interactions were really well done. Loved that bit between Clark and Vic towards the end too.

I just wish the film had dug into the deeper psychology of it all. This was a solid film, but it ran screaming away from the kind of deeper thinking MoS and BvS attempted. Sure, BvS failed to capture what it was going for, but DC's habit of over-compensating totally sucked the soul out of this movie.
    It wasn't the quip-fest I was fearing at least, like AoU.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    Or did it? I mean out of 8 friends that saw it, 7 liked it. They're all varying degrees of comic book fans.
    Have you seen the box office reports? 96 million. I loved Justice League! I thought the team had great chemistry, but appartently the general audience those who only follow the movies apparently did not. I am not just a Marvel fanboy. In my theater yesterday, there was not a huge crowd. Some theaters across the country sold out, but some did not. Again, I loved the Justice League, like you did, but not everybody did.

Mighty Member

It definite'y over-compensated, but I'm not sure it ran away screaming. Bruce was dealing with his guilt about Superman's death and Diana's reluctance to lead stemming from her experiences in WW were surprises (especially the latter) that I felt strengthened the film.
    From what I have heard from people I know within the industry...in the script it takes a long time to get to the JL part. Terrio wrote another script with good intentions but was also poorly paced. That is what prompted the 2 hour mandatory from Tsujihara. He should have made it 2 1/2 hours but that is another carry over from BvS. They gave Snyder too much free reign (Knightmare sequence, Easter eggs added last minute because he thought they were cool) and were trying to avoid similar issues. BvS's reception had so much influence on JL.
    Last edited by FlashEarthOne; 11-19-2017 at 05:25 PM.

Do you see this movie on par with the Avengers?
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister BoMan View Post
    Have you seen the box office reports? 96 million. I loved Justice League! I thought the team had great chemistry, but appartently the general audience those who only follow the movies apparently did not. I am not just a Marvel fanboy. In my theater yesterday, there was not a huge crowd. Some theaters across the country sold out, but some did not. Again, I loved the Justice League, like you did, but not everybody did.
    The theater my son and I were at wasn't filled to capacity either. Plus there was no cheering at the end compared to when I saw WW.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister BoMan View Post
    Whether people are choosing to see it and whether those who saw it liked it are two different things. I think a lot of people are choosing not to see it, but I'm less sure as to whether audiences disliked it. I'm just going by the internet, my personal friends, and what youtubers seem to be saying about it.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

As Buried Alien points out, a lot of people whom he talked to that haven't​ seen it fully intend to, but are super busy with the lead up to Thanksgiving and are planning to see it next week.there are also probably some people holding off Seeing it and waiting to hear from others.

Again, doesn't mean it'll recover and go into overdrive in terms of box-office, but its possible it may hold on better than BvS and take next week and if we're lucky the following week as well. It may gain some legs and at least break even. It's sad that is the benchmark, but it is what it is.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Retired

At the IMAX preview show, there was some cheering and clapping and a lot of excitement over the end credits. Eveyone got a free poster, too--so maybe we were in the right mood.

The second time I saw it in 3D--which really isn't necessary, I'd rather see it in IMAX but it's a long way to go and a lot more money. That screening was fairly full and as I left the theatre I heard kids saying it was a really cool movie.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    At the IMAX preview show, there was some cheering and clapping and a lot of excitement over the end credits. Eveyone got a free poster, too--so maybe we were in the right mood.

The second time I saw it in 3D--which really isn't necessary, I'd rather see it in IMAX but it's a long way to go and a lot more money. That screening was fairly full and as I left the theatre I heard kids saying it was a really cool movie.
    There's some serious cognitive dissonance between the box office numbers, the negative vibe in the media, and the fan reaction we're actually seeing in the cinemas. What on Earth-Prime is going on here?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Extraordinary Member

I'm thinking it may be, weirdly enough, just a lack of hype among regular audience members. There was a decent number of people at the Chillicothe theater for a 6pm regular showing in a pretty small farming town, but it seemed to strictly be hardcore geeks; I occupied myself for 15 minutes before the film talking to some stranger who were on my level of nerd. Most of my kids in my class seem to still be somewhat unaware of JL, and are intrigued when I told them about it. They did not have that issue with Thor Ragnarok.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

Relatively spoiler free.
    I'm not sure where to start, so here it goes. I'll post this in a few threads for visibility since there are so many open right now.
    I've been wanting to type out a long and winded opinion piece on JL, WB, Whedon, Snyder, the fan base, etc. all weekend.

I saw JL Friday evening in IMAX (I've now seen it twice) and as the opening credits started with the companies and the music, I got goosebumps. I was ready for this movie and after all the years waiting, there I was, about to embark on the first ever live action JL journey.
    Once the post credits scene rolled and I was walking out, I left satisfied, but wanting so much more. I knew this movie had more to offer us in terms of story, characters, and villain arc(s). I can say I really enjoyed Superman (he needs to be like that from now on), and I am a fan of Ray Fisher as Cyborg now and am hopping on the Cyborg bandwagon.
    Miller as Barry is great, Gal continues to rock, and Momoa needed more screen time! Honestly, the weakest link, IN MY OPINION (which is what all this is), was Affleck. It wasn't his acting, nor his execution. It was simply the fact that he was now sharing the screen and sharing hero duties with the freakin' JUSTICE LEAGUE. Having said that, the characters are all on point and I want to see all of them in either solo/origin films or pairings (Flash and Cyborg, for example).

My biggest issues with the film were what everyone else seem to be saying: the film felt chopped and thus lacked proper development and run time. This movie could have VERY easily given us another 30 mins, which could be about another 5 minutes for every member of the league.
    Now, whether that's on Snyder, Whedon, or Tsujihara (who gave the two hour mandate), I think could be argued from multiple angles. Other than that, I can't say there wasn't much else about the film that I had major issues with. One minor issue was Whedon's lame humor and turning Batman into a joke machine (nah, don't do that again). Some scenes you could tell were Whedon, some Snyder. But honestly, I was just there to have a good time (which I did) and I didn't take much notice. Cavill's CGI lip wasn't that bad, and maybe we would have noticed something was off (or not) had we not known about the mustache issue from MI:6.

Steppenwolf wasn't bad either. I really think people go out of their way to bash DCEU's CGI, which I can say is no better, nor any worse than the CGI in Dr. Strange, Guardians, or even Thor. Having watched Ragnarok a couple weeks ago, Hela's CGI in some scenes was atrocious as was Surtur's. But no one bats an eye with the MCU.
    Anyway, I liked Steppenwolf's design and thought he was pretty formidable at times.

Anyway, the critics always back hand DC movies since the Nolan films. They really look for things to nitpick and I think the MCU has ruined how CBMs are analyzed and reviewed (Disney/Marvel has a formula and all their movies look the same). Critics (who DO have impact on Box office and fan opinions) overtly compared JL to the MCU many times. It's clear the critics have their templates now.
    It's pretty obvious this movie will be considered a dud, unless it has Wonder Woman legs and can hit the $800 millions (which is still a possibility). WB should be very concerned with how they treated this film because it may not outgross Thor: Ragnarok now.

Also, where was all of the advertising?! There was far less than with Wonder Woman and BvS, and I think that may be why this bombed OW. I also haven't seen much advertising towards children.

Anyway, I could keep going and going, but I'll wrap it up this way:

-JL is probably my favorite DCEU movie now (and probably second all time behind The Dark Knight).
    -It wasn't perfect, but it sure as hell wasn't as bad as critics made it out to be. It was funny, light, serious, and introduced my favorite heroes.
    -Having said that… This movie NEEDED MORE TIME!
    -Elfman is done in my book. His score was awful for this movie and completely forgettable.
    -I'd rather Whedon take a hike and stay away from the DCEU and have Snyder gracefully bow out the way he chooses (as long as he isn't directing).
    -Kevin Tsujihara needs to be fired immediately.
    -WB needs to find who their rats are leaking so much information before their movies and take care of it (we didn't need to know about Cavill's mustache before the film).
    -Please do NOT reboot!
    The characters are all here and I love everyone of them. If anything, get the Affleck situation resolved, but keep everyone else intact and shift focus on truly director oriented solo films. We don't need a big build up to the New Gods or Apokolips. Good stories need to first come from the numerous titles and characters you have at your disposal and we can keep the big ensemble/team up storylines together in JL films (which I hope we see a sequel of in 3-4 years, although unlikely at this point).
    -Get Flash, Cyborg, Green Lantern, Man of Steel 2 and The Batman lined up ASAP!

Thank you Zack Snyder for building this universe. I'm sorry you and I couldn't see your finished vision, but I think it's time we move on. Your name as a director for these movies has become very poisonous.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    There's some serious cognitive dissonance between the box office numbers, the negative vibe in the media, and the fan reaction we're actually seeing in the cinemas. What on Earth-Prime is going on here?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Aren't we living in worlds of our own? Art is subjective. BvS was hated by most people. Yet you can find a lot of people praise it to no end. Take it and extend it beyond. This time i feel most fans especially DC fans liked it but it wasn't liked by everyone.

That's the subjective part. Objectively, look at the figures like RT, Metacrtic and Cinemascore. They are fairly accurate. Marvel manages to make films which appeal to both fans and non fans. See their BO. See the scores wrt RT, Metacritic and Cinemascore. You can make only so many divisive films. Transformers fizzled out finally.

As fans, we have different expectations. Green Lantern showing in the screen for a few seconds is something to cheer. For others not so much. Something which works for me won't work for someone else. What others find problematic may not be for me.

That does not mean that its not possible to have films which can appeal to all. Marvel has expertise here. I loved the film as much as Avengers. But that's not the consensus.

Mighty Member

Whether people are choosing to see it and whether those who saw it liked it are two different things. I think a lot of people are choosing not to see it, but I'm less sure as to whether audiences disliked it. I'm just going by the internet, my personal friends, and what youtubers seem to be saying about it.
    I have to agree with this. It is another side effect of BvS. People weren't making it a priority to see JL because they didn't like BvS. Same director, same writer, same universe, a lot of backstage drama which made it easy to just wait and see. The critical reviews may likely prevent them from going to see it in the theaters. I don't blame them considering the price of movie tickets nowadays. People say, "form your own opinions." They probably will... but after BvS and seeing the JL critical reviews they may form their opinion while watching it on HBO. That is what happens when you are stubborn and think that critical opinion means nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Do you see this movie on par with the Avengers?
    The first one? Absolutely not. However the strengths of JL were the pace of the action, the chemistry, and the characters. Those parts were better than Avengers. On the flip side Avengers had a tighter script/plot even if it was longer. Plus the effects were better and the writing/directing was smooth throughout the entire movie even if the last fight scene went on forever. Do I think it was on par with Avengers 2... yes. I liked JL but am critical because it should have been so much better. I honestly don't see how people can think Thor, Thor2, Ant-Man, Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3, and Doctor Strange are great while hating JL. That... I don't understand.

It definite'y over-compensated, but I'm not sure it ran away screaming. Bruce was dealing with his guilt about Superman's death and Diana's reluctance to lead stemming from her experiences in WW were surprises (especially the latter) that I felt strengthened the film.
    Well, that's true enough. You know me, I like to exaggerate for effect sometimes.

No, it did have some surprisingly thoughtful moments, and it wasn't as quippy as I feared it might be (as Rumpus mentioned above). But it certainly did conform in several big ways to fit with the stuff the critics claim they want to see (essentially the Marvel approach). And the critics are still giving it a hard time for stuff many Marvel films have gotten a free pass on. It seems clear to me there's a bias now.

I still think Johnathan Kent's "Maybe" line from MoS had more weight and pathos to it than anything said in JL though.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Well, that's true enough. You know me, I like to exaggerate for effect sometimes.

No, it did have some surprisingly thoughtful moments, and it wasn't as quippy as I feared it might be (as Rumpus mentioned above). But it certainly did conform in several big ways to fit with the stuff the critics claim they want to see (essentially the Marvel approach). And the critics are still giving it a hard time for stuff many Marvel films have gotten a free pass on. It seems clear to me there's a bias now.

I still think Johnathan Kent's "Maybe" line from MoS had more weight and pathos to it than anything said in JL though.
    The funny thing about that line is I'm not even sure that maybe line was supposed to be as taken as everyone thought from the trailer and film.

He goes "Maybe....maybe this is bigger than all of us." There's ambiguity but when I watched it the first time I thought "oh, that maybe refers to something else."