View Poll Results: What did you think of "Justice League"?

Voters
231. You may not vote on this poll
  • Amazing, one of if not the best comic book movie

15 6.49%
  • Very good, enjoyable and engaging, worth seeing again

128 55.41%
  • Alright, watchable, but nothing special; a bit of a disappointment

61 26.41%
  • A bad movie overall, a huge disappointment

21 9.09%
  • A disgrace, a total bomb, an aberration, Worst. Movie.Ever.

6 2.60%
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    You think that, critics don't.
    I dunno man. Im not a film student, I have no formal training or education with movies. But the pacing, the type of humor used, development of the antagonist and primary plot, the placement of that humor, the kind of action sequences.......

If Im wrong here, can someone explain to me what the objective differences are between JL and the standard MCU formula? I mean, judging the quality of joke or action scene is a subjective venture, but structure itself is largely objective. You wouldn't call Gangs of New York a comedy, for example. So what am I missing here?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

You think that, critics don't.

The only kind of bias that wouldn't belong in reviews is if critics went and saw a movie, thought it was good, had a worthwhile viewing experience but then proceeded to lie about how they felt about the movie and what they thought of it. That isn't what's happening.
    That's not bias, that's lying.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I dunno man. Im not a film student, I have no formal training or education with movies. But the pacing, the type of humor used, development of the antagonist and primary plot, the placement of that humor, the kind of action sequences.......

If Im wrong here, can someone explain to me what the objective differences are between JL and the standard MCU formula? I mean, judging the quality of joke or action scene is a subjective venture, but structure itself is largely objective. You wouldn't call Gangs of New York a comedy, for example. So what am I missing here?
    The problem here is that you think that following a formula means you'll get the same results and the same reception. Film-making is not a hard science, film criticism is not a hard science.

People can watch two similar things but have different experiences with each.

Consider the Marvel formular and the different reception each movie has gotten. Sure, every film have been positively received so far but critics clearly believe some are better than ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    That's not bias, that's lying.
    They'd be lying because of their bias. They hate DC movies on principle, so even if they were to enjoy a DC movie they would lie and say they didn't.
    Last edited by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever; 11-21-2017 at 07:35 PM.

I’ve seen it, liked it,- and i’ve got questions; i could tell this was a zack snyder movie, because of the way the action jumped around. Scenes could’ve used a bit more fleshing out.
    1) superman. I did like henry cavill a lot more in this movie than in B vs. S. But, i would’ve liked to see a bit more of him coming to terms with being alive again. His attitude sure improved after being dead. But, his costume was a bit brighter in this one, and i couldn’t help but notice that it just didn’t look right on him.that kryptonian weave or whatever it is has got to go. And what was the point of that scene in the beginning where the kids were interviewing superman?
    2) batman. Liked his first scene- in fact, a lot of the visuals in this were stunning. I missed part of the scene where he explained his plan to bring superman back from the dead. What made him think it would work? Typical, arrogant batgod.
    3) wonder woman. Loved gal gadot in this. Her fight in the beginning was well done, but the villains motives were lame. And i kind of liked bruce pointing out how she hid from the world.
    4) the flash- ezra miller didn’t bother me as much as i thought he would, but i would’ve liked to know more about his backstory. I guess that will be explored elsewhere- but why didn’t bruce offer to look into his father’s case?
    5) aquaman -needed to see a lot more from him- the underwater sequences kind of made me wonder how his movie will look. i’m wondering about his relationship with mera. He seemed to be more cowboy than merman.
    6) cyborg- i liked him, but again,it was like we hit the ground running with him. He seemed resigned to his current state,and i’m glad we didn’t get a lot of self pity with him, but i’m confused as to how how much of him is man vs. machine. He could be a modern day six million dollar man! Interesting how he and aquaman played off of each other.
    7) steppenwolf-- i don’t think cieran hinds was right for the role, or steppenwolf was the right villain for this.

In general, i liked the big battle scene at the beginning, when diana told bruce about steppenwolf’s first attack; i liked the scene at the end where bruce decided to turn the mansion into the league’s hq- but i wish the whole league was there. And everyone just going back to their lives, especailly in clark’s case, seemed like an odd way to end it.
    Last edited by protege; 11-21-2017 at 06:50 PM.

I definitely loved this movie and I think the critics of Rotten Tomatoes really blew this out of proportion but I guess that's not so surprising coming from them.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

They'd be lying because of their bias. They hate DC movies on principle, so even if they were to enjoy a DC movie they would lie and say they didn't.
    You can also have biases that influences your experience. Pre-conceived notions of all sorts and frames of mind that weigh things differently. We know the critics aren't lying, nobody is saying that. Your insistence on reminding us that critics are simply describing their feelings isn't really adding anything to the conversation or deconstruction of their tastes and modes of analysis.

BANNED

You can also have biases that influences your experience. Pre-conceived notions of all sorts and frames of mind that weigh things differently.
    And there's nothing wrong with any of that. It's to be expected.

We know the critics aren't lying, nobody is saying that. Your insistence on reminding us that critics are simply describing their feelings isn't really adding anything to the conversation or deconstruction of their tastes and modes of analysis.
    Some people are suggesting that something might be going on with critics, expressing confusion at critics not responding to the movie the same way they have.

I didn't say people were saying critics were lying, I used that as an example of the kind of bias that wouldn't belong in a review.

There is no deconstruction going on. What we have here is essentially "Critics don't like Justice League as much as Marvel movies. Justice League is like a Marvel movie, so why don't critics like Justice League?".

The implication is that there's something unusual about critics giving the movie negative views, but there isn't.
    Last edited by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever; 11-21-2017 at 08:00 PM.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    And what was the point of that scene in the beginning where the kids were interviewing superman?
    I think it's to set up the contrast in attitude and demeanor of Superman before his death and after his return. Until his death and revival, Clark/Kal-El didn't seem entirely certain that he had done the right thing by becoming Superman and taking on the burden of that identity, especially in light with what had happened in Metropolis during the battle against Zod and his minions. The Superman who returned spoilers:
    and helped the Justice League to thrash Steppenwolf
    end of spoilers was far more confident and certain of what he was doing and the reasons that he was doing it. At the beginning of the movie, he was an incomplete Superman; by the end, he was complete. The opening scene accentuated that transformation.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Last edited by Buried Alien; 11-21-2017 at 08:34 PM.
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Incredible Member

I went yesterday and I loved it. It was the first time in a while that I have been wowed by a superhero movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I think it's to set up the contrast in attitude and demeanor of Superman before his death and after his return. Until his death and revival, Clark/Kal-El didn't seem entirely certain that he had done the right thing by becoming Superman and taking on the burden of that identity, especially in light with what had happened in Metropolis during the battle against Zod and his minions. The Superman who returned spoilers:
    end of spoilers was far more confident and certain of what he was doing and the reasons that he was doing it. At the beginning of the movie, he was an incomplete Superman; by the end, he was complete. The opening scene accentuated that transformation.

If you look closely, when he’s asked what his favorite thing about Earth is, he gets a smile on his face. He clearly is thinking of Lois, but obviously can’t say that. I think the scene is to set up the “big guns” scene more than accentuating his attitude before death & after.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Retired

The thing with reviews these days, with all the social media, is they need to drive eyeballs to their review--so there's a greater impetus for critics to slant their critques in a click bait way. I also question just who is considered a critic now. There was already a low bar for many newspapers where they didn't give the assignment to someone who has proper training to be a critic. But now it's got to be even worse, as you really don't need to know a lot about cinema to have a review site.

Even if a reviewer is trying to be fair, I think the pressures of the medium can cause them to anticipate the mood of the crowd and over-sensationalize the review.

About the opening of the movie. spoilers:
    Yeah, I picked up Superman meaning Lois when he has that smile and that far away look in his eyes. It reminded me of something he said to her in MOS or BVS, both of which I had just rewatched the day before seeing JUSTICE LEAGUE.

I think by having the cell phone video at the top it's their way of doing a reset, without being so obvious. It tells you that in the continuity of this movie, before he died, Superman was a swell guy and nice to kids.
    end of spoilers That made me think of Clayton Moore and how he'd do appearances as the Lone Ranger, in any parking lot that would have him, and kids would run up to him just to get a photo or tell him how swell he is.

However, I don't know how many people pay attention at the beginning of a movie. I consider the opening shots of any movie nearly wasted, because people haven't settled down yet and often you have people trying to find their seats and getting in the way--so even if you want to see the movie, you can't because there's all this other bother going on.

Incredible Member

Anybody keep seeing all these articles now talking about how much money this film is going to lose the studios?

Hundreds of such articles, all ignoring dvd sales, TV syndication, streaming revenues, merch etc.

Any excuse to write an anti-JL article these days, ey?

I mean I went in expecting to hate the film and was turned around, why cant these writers change their plans when tge film is actually good. I guess everyone had a month's worth of writing in the bag already and didn't want to give it up just because tge film was better than we all expected.

BANNED

I prefer to give my congratulations to Joss Whedon.

And sales would have been better if Whedon was the director.
    Last edited by RLAAMJR.; 11-22-2017 at 01:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingcrimsonprog View Post
    Anybody keep seeing all these articles now talking about how much money this film is going to lose the studios?

Hundreds of such articles, all ignoring dvd sales, TV syndication, streaming revenues, merch etc.

Any excuse to write an anti-JL article these days, ey?

I mean I went in expecting to hate the film and was turned around, why cant these writers change their plans when tge film is actually good. I guess everyone had a month's worth of writing in the bag already and didn't want to give it up just because tge film was better than we all expected.
    Actually, this Forbes article is written by a former studio exec and finance consultant, and he includes potential profits from merchandising and home entertainment in his calculations. There are lots of hidden costs and profits that the average person doesn't take into account, which he does. For instance, a lot of people don't realize the studio only earns half of theater domestic sales and less than half of international sales.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/robcain.../#45a29f415d8b

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post

The problem is that there's no "why" that explains what happened to change that attitude. This Supes is even less realized, than before he died, but at least before it was part of his character arc (which was cut short). Now it's because the movie needs to be "fun".