View Poll Results: What did you think of "Justice League"?

Voters
231. You may not vote on this poll
  • Amazing, one of if not the best comic book movie

15 6.49%
  • Very good, enjoyable and engaging, worth seeing again

128 55.41%
  • Alright, watchable, but nothing special; a bit of a disappointment

61 26.41%
  • A bad movie overall, a huge disappointment

21 9.09%
  • A disgrace, a total bomb, an aberration, Worst. Movie.Ever.

6 2.60%
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

I liked it a lot. Second from the top vote. I thought it was well worth seeing in IMAX, too. It definitely needs another 20-30 minutes in the beginning but it's a great Super Friends movie.

Miller's Flash was weird, but entertaining. I loved that they depicted Aquaman as a powerhouse rather than a joke. Cyborg was okay and the Trinity was solid. Mera didn't have much screen time, but they didn't undercut her power.

BANNED

To give context to my vote, my brief thoughts on the other DCEU films.

Man of Steel: A half-baked movie that fails at most of what it sets out to do and is boring for long stretches. 4/10
    Batman v Superman: An absolute failure of a movie which fails at everything it sets out to do and the entire film is just boring on top of that. 1/10
    Suicide Squad: A horribly put together movie and story, but one with a few likable characters and is overall just a lot of fun. 5/10
    Wonder Woman: A good movie...and that's it. 7.5/10

So did Justice League impress me more than all of these?

No, no it didn't. But it's also far from being the worst of the bunch. (God help us if they make something worse than BvS) Shallow characterizations (several of which I don't care for), shallow plot...it's kinda like a more well put together Suicide Squad. The film has zero ambition but to be a fun romp with no depth, but while it does work better than Suicide Squad as a whole, it also has a weaker overall cast. Not to mention, I continue to fail to believe one of the driving forces of the narrative: that Superman was a symbol of hope who really changed the world. Sorry, but the previous movies didn't set that up at all. (And don't tell me how you think they did, I've heard it all, and just because of a movie tries to do something, doesn't mean it succeeds. Though frankly, if this movie did try to be anything special, it might actually be even worse.

Overall: 4.5/10

For what it is? Yeah, I was right. I like the 1997 movie more.

Retired

SUPERMAN (1978) and WONDER WOMAN are 10/10 for me. BATMAN (1989), BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT 9/10. At this point (after one viewing), JUSTICE LEAGUE is 8.5/10. I couldn't say it's the best comic book movie, given how I feel about WONDER WOMAN. But I'll see JL again later today, so maybe my rating will change.

I couldn't help be aware that the movie was missing some scenes that were in the trailer, but all movies are edited. It's the rare director (Hitchcock) who films only the scenes that will be in the final cut. All modern Hollywood movies go through an editing process and that usually is a good thing. A lot of the fat in movies is not needed. I really don't need too much explained for me--I can fill in those blanks myself--and I'd rather have character building moments.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    SUPERMAN (1978) and WONDER WOMAN are 10/10 for me. BATMAN (1989), BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT 9/10. .
    Hmm. For me, I guess Superman (1978) is a 9/10, Batman (1989) is a 7.5/10, Batman Begins is an 8/10 and The Dark Knight is a 7/10

A very average movie that had the potential to rocket the DCM into the stratosphere.

The storyline and the editing kill it for me. I liked all the characters but felt like everything was rushed and needed to be explained better. Wonder Woman was the saving grace and kept me interested enough to at least be entertained.

On a side note spoilers:
    I fell this would have played better if Steppenwolf would have been the one to revive Superman and used him as weapon.
    end of spoilers
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

spoilers:
    Barry falling on Diana’s boobs screams Whedon. Reminded me of AoU. I flinched.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    spoilers:
    Barry falling on Diana’s boobs screams Whedon. Reminded me of AoU. I flinched.
    end of spoilers
    Yep. That was completely Whedon and pretty unnecessary. There were a few other moments that were obviously Whedon that I could have done without.

As a whole, I liked the movie and I'll probably go see it again (I have MoviePass, so it's pretty much a 'why not' situation for me). The first act was, as others said, very rushed.. the movie really needed at least another 30 minutes. The chemistry between the cast was great and really what made it worth watching. I haven't read any Flash or Aquaman, but Batman, WW, Supes and Cyborg felt right to me. I know a number of people weren't satisfied with Cyborg, but he felt like the Cyborg I read in the limited amount of his series I enjoyed. I thought his character arc was pretty decent. I enjoyed Momoa's Aquaman, and he obviously had a lot of fun with the role, but I want to see more.

I would have preferred a live actor for Steppenwolf, but the voice acting WAS on point. I loved the flashbacks showing everyone fighting him and the parademons (and all of the action scenes were great in general). But I feel like that whole plot could've been better developed. Again, the film needed to be longer. BUT, I enjoyed the heroes so much in the movie that the villain and all that story's shortcomings didn't bother me so much.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Voted the "Very good, enjoyable and engaging, worth seeing again" option:

"How did you like the overall plot/storyline?"
    Was mostly fine, first act needed more fleshing out so wouldn't be surprised if that is where a majority was cut.

"How did you find the tone?"
    Fine, it was line with MoS and BvS just not as "heavy"they got the balance right.

"Did you like the action sequences?"
    Loved them! Snyder can deliver action!

"How do you think general audiences will react to it?"
    Very well hopefully, lot of crowd pleasing moments. Hopefully they eat it up.

"And do you think the future of the franchise looks bright, dark, or still unsteady after this film?"
    In-verse it looks promising a start of something great, and some nice teases.
    Out-verse so much uncertainty dunno if most of what has been set up will be delivered...
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    Yep. That was completely Whedon and pretty unnecessary. There were a few other moments that were obviously Whedon that I could have done without.

As a whole, I liked the movie and I'll probably go see it again (I have MoviePass, so it's pretty much a 'why not' situation for me). The first act was, as others said, very rushed.. the movie really needed at least another 30 minutes. The chemistry between the cast was great and really what made it worth watching. I haven't read any Flash or Aquaman, but Batman, WW, Supes and Cyborg felt right to me. I know a number of people weren't satisfied with Cyborg, but he felt like the Cyborg I read in the limited amount of his series I enjoyed. I thought his character arc was pretty decent. I enjoyed Momoa's Aquaman, and he obviously had a lot of fun with the role, but I want to see more.

I would have preferred a live actor for Steppenwolf, but the voice acting WAS on point. I loved the flashbacks showing everyone fighting him and the parademons (and all of the action scenes were great in general). But I feel like that whole plot could've been better developed. Again, the film needed to be longer. BUT, I enjoyed the heroes so much in the movie that the villain and all that story's shortcomings didn't bother me so much.
    Hinds actually did motion capture, so it technically was a live actor, though I guess they thought to CG him cuz he had to be super tall?
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Time to liver forever! Energist's Avatar

Saw it last night and loved it. So did my non-comic-book-reading buddy. The bulk of the crowd we saw it with all applauded throughout, too, as well as at the end.

I agree with people saying the first 45-minutes or so is a bit uneven and rushed, but after that I felt it hit its stride. Didn't feel too packed, either, which is something the runtime had me concerned over. I still wish it was 15 minutes longer or so, but that's mostly because I wanted more, not necessarily because it needed more. That said, like with BvS, I expect the Extended Cut will be an improvement.

Best part of the film was the characterization, which I thought was spot-on. The only slight exception I'll make is Aquaman, who at times felt more like Hawkman to me than Aquaman. Still very recognizably Arthur, though, and I'm looking forward to his solo movie a lot now. Regardless, everyone shines incredibly well throughout the film, with no single character hogging the spotlight, at least not for me.

Acting was pitch-perfect for the most part. I thought Affleck was a little flat at times, but he shined when he needed to, both in the moments where you hated him as well as in the moments where you sympathized with him.

Action sequences were great. Nothing quite on the level of the Batman warehouse scene, but all of them were very exciting and well choreographed.

The musical score surprised me, too. I listened to it last week on YouTube, and I wasn't that impressed with it in totality, but hearing it along with the picture, it worked for me. Not the best superhero score to be sure, but it did its job well enough, adding that extra bit of emotional oomph that any good score should. That said, though, I still miss Zimmer, and I can't help but wonder what he would have done differently.

As for Steppenwolf: Yes, he was far from a well-developed character, but I've almost come to expect that from comic book movie villains at this point. Where he succeeded, though, was in the intimidation department. I found him to be genuinely intimidating and seemingly powerful every time he appeared, something a lot of other film villains, superhero or otherwise, lack these days. His early scenes, I admit the CGI wasn't that great, but once they got him to the intercity landscape and brought down the brightness, he looked as serviceable as most CGI creations these days. In short, he worked for me as a villain, and his eventual take-down was a real stand-up-and-cheer moment, I thought. Also...

spoilers:
    I liked that they only mentioned Darkseid once, and in passing at that. I've seen a few other people complain that this was a mistake, somehow hurting his characterization or missing an opportunity to lay down the groundwork for future films. Personally, though, I think it shows that the filmmakers aren't going to rush Darkseid's unveiling, which Steppenwolf's presence initially had me concerned about. Better to leave him as a complete enigma at this point, in my opinion, and let the casual fans catch his name-drop in this film only years later once he's become a more obvious threat.
    end of spoilers

Anyhoo, I was overall very pleased with the film, and I can't wait to see it again. I hope to go see it again with my dad later today, in fact.

On the rating scale provided, I'd probably place it somewhere between "Amazing" and "Very Good," but I voted for the former to balance out the votes of the over-dramatic haters voting "Worst. Movie. Ever."
    "Forgiving the unrepentant is like drawing pictures on water." - Japanese Proverb

It got a good kicking in review in today’s Times.

I probably won’t bother going to see it. (I know it’s fairly trivial but I thought the costumes looked crap...my gut reaction is that if you can’t get that right in a super hero movie, that there’s a good chance there will be a fair amount of other stuff going wrong.)

I voted average.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    It got a good kicking in review in today’s Times.

I probably won’t bother going to see it. (I know it’s fairly trivial but I thought the costumes looked crap...my gut reaction is that if you can’t get that right in a super hero movie, that there’s a good chance there will be a fair amount of other stuff going wrong.)
    By that logic all X-Men films are bad too. Are their costumes even costumes? I don't agree with the critics this time. I agreed with the previous scores. I was in the theater and the crowd seemed to have loved it. Not necessarily a a guarantee that you would like it. But who knows? Its your call.

Just came from the theater. I liked it a lot. Definitely best of the Snyder trilogy. Didn't feel as serious but wasn't a comedy. I'll see it again.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I thought that was pretty awesome. Damn.

There MUST be more JUSTICE LEAGUE movies after this. There MUST be!

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014