View Poll Results: What did you think of "Justice League"?

Voters
231. You may not vote on this poll
  • Amazing, one of if not the best comic book movie

15 6.49%
  • Very good, enjoyable and engaging, worth seeing again

128 55.41%
  • Alright, watchable, but nothing special; a bit of a disappointment

61 26.41%
  • A bad movie overall, a huge disappointment

21 9.09%
  • A disgrace, a total bomb, an aberration, Worst. Movie.Ever.

6 2.60%
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Some random thoughts:

spoilers:

1. Was surprised by the opening scene..."real cam" cell phone footage of Superman (pre-death) having a discussion with some kid fans of his in Metropolis. That was a surprisingly poignant moment...especially when Superman could not quite figure out how to respond to the kid's question of why he loved Earth.

2. Wonder Woman scene at the Old Bailey (I think it was) was AWESOME SAUCE, and very much in the spirit of what we'd seen in the WONDER WOMAN movie.

3. Glad to see Batman/Bruce Wayne and Alfred lightening up after the heavy moods of BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE.

4. I've never been the biggest fan of Cyborg as a member of the Justice League, but his portrayal in this movie has made a convert out of me. Victor is an awesome hero and very much deserves his spot alongside the League.

5. Aquaman and Flash were everything I expected them to be, and more.

6. Steppenwolf was an OK villain, but it was pretty clear to me that he's being set up here as a herald to Darkseid. The question that leaves us with is whether we'll ever get to see Darkseid himself in the DCEU (please, ye comic book movie gods...let it be so).

7. Someone mooted a DCEU film of nothing but Superman vs. Flash races. I'm 1000% behind that idea!

8. Did being reborn make Superman more powerful than he was pre-death? To me, he seemed a LOT more powerful than he was in his two previous appearances (and that's a good thing).

9. Speaking of his rebirth, I really like the role that Flash and Cyborg played in it...and when first Lois and then Martha saw Clark alive...among the most emotionally powerful moments ever seen in a comic book movie. You really feel hope being reborn with Superman.

10. The final reflection by Lois at the end of the movie...about hidden heroes among us and how hope never really dies, and that darkness not being the absence of light, but the loss of hope that light will ever return. In light of recent events in the world during the past few years, THIS MESSAGE MEANS MORE THAN EVER. Just Lois's closing thoughts made the movie worth the price of admission.

11. The mid-credits scene (ha ha!) and post-credits scene (ooooh!).
    end of spoilers

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Post it in the other thread man. The tags get tiresome (though totally necessary here)

http://community.comicbookresources....Justice-League

How did you like the overall plot/storyline?

Thin, you could tell the movie had been cut, but it worked, and there was a lot more touches here and there that gave hints to the characters than I thought there would be.

How did you find the tone?

An amazing improvement over Batman V Superman. The theme of hope is never far away even when the action is intense and the stakes are high. Yes, there's some angst here and there, but it can be and is overcome. I think they got the mix right.

How did you like the individual characterizations and the characters' interactions?

The best thing about the movie, honestly. The touches I mentioned. I'd go into more details but no spoilers right? I didn't think I'd like the Flash, but I did. Aquaman is a lot more than an action junkie/surfer bro guy if you pay attention.

Did you like the action sequences?
    Loved them. It was very CGI heavy and that's going to turn some folks off, but really, every member of the league has some moment that makes you want to call out "YUS!" for them

How do you think general audiences will react to it?
    A lot better than the critics Sadly, our theatre had loads of space, but the ones who were there were very pleased. I think if people see it, good word of mouth may save it from its bad RT score. But will people trust enough to try? Not sure.

And do you think the future of the franchise looks bright, dark, or still unsteady after this film?

I'd say bright if it were based on getting the mix of humor, action, and drama right. But realistically? Still unsteady, box office is king and if something doesn't sell it doesn't get to continue usually even i it was good, which this was. We'll see how it goes.
    "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me."-Frederick Douglass

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Fun as hell; shaky in terms of plot and structure, but everybody except Batman gets their own solid little mini-arcs that tie together thematically, and it's got energy and fun to spare. I'm generally loathe to go to any kind of "critical bias" conclusion with how much it's been thrown around the last few years, but given the DCEU stans are still repping this hard (except for some bits that can easily be written off as Whedon's) even though it contains essentially none of the defining elements they've spent the last 4 years swearing by to anyone who'll listen, and everyone else is reacting to this inoffensively fun popcorn flick like it pissed in their drink, the only reasonable takeaway I can see is that fandom is a hell of a drug once it reaches critical mass, nevermind anti-fandom. Justice League is the information of a perfectly decent time at the theater struggling in vain to escape a black hole of built-in expectations. spoilers:
    Which makes it particularly bitter that DC getting Superman right in a movie for the literal first time in my life will do absolutely nothing to noticeably improve his profile, even if maybe it pulls the executioner's ax a bit off his neck for the time being in the court of public opinion.
    end of spoilers
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Some random thoughts:

spoilers:

1. Was surprised by the opening scene..."real cam" cell phone footage of Superman (pre-death) having a discussion with some kid fans of his in Metropolis. That was a surprisingly poignant moment...especially when Superman could not quite figure out how to respond to the kid's question of why he loved Earth.

2. Wonder Woman scene at the Old Bailey (I think it was) was AWESOME SAUCE, and very much in the spirit of what we'd seen in the WONDER WOMAN movie.

3. Glad to see Batman/Bruce Wayne and Alfred lightening up after the heavy moods of BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE.

4. I've never been the biggest fan of Cyborg as a member of the Justice League, but his portrayal in this movie has made a convert out of me. Victor is an awesome hero and very much deserves his spot alongside the League.

5. Aquaman and Flash were everything I expected them to be, and more.

6. Steppenwolf was an OK villain, but it was pretty clear to me that he's being set up here as a herald to Darkseid. The question that leaves us with is whether we'll ever get to see Darkseid himself in the DCEU (please, ye comic book movie gods...let it be so).

7. Someone mooted a DCEU film of nothing but Superman vs. Flash races. I'm 1000% behind that idea!

8. Did being reborn make Superman more powerful than he was pre-death? To me, he seemed a LOT more powerful than he was in his two previous appearances (and that's a good thing).

9. Speaking of his rebirth, I really like the role that Flash and Cyborg played in it...and when first Lois and then Martha saw Clark alive...among the most emotionally powerful moments ever seen in a comic book movie. You really feel hope being reborn with Superman.

10. The final reflection by Lois at the end of the movie...about hidden heroes among us and how hope never really dies, and that darkness not being the absence of light, but the loss of hope that light will ever return. In light of recent events in the world during the past few years, THIS MESSAGE MEANS MORE THAN EVER. Just Lois's closing thoughts made the movie worth the price of admission.

11. The mid-credits scene (ha ha!) and post-credits scene (ooooh!).
    end of spoilers

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    I'm on board with all of this. I'm a negative nancy a lot of the time, but I agree with it all. The only thing is I've liked Cyborg as a leaguer from the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Fun as hell; shaky in terms of plot and structure, but everybody except Batman gets their own solid little mini-arcs that tie together thematically, and it's got energy and fun to spare. I'm generally loathe to go to any kind of "critical bias" conclusion with how much it's been thrown around the last few years, but given the DCEU stans are still repping this hard (except for some bits that can easily be written off as Whedon's) even though it contains essentially none of the defining elements they've spent the last 4 years swearing by to anyone who'll listen, and everyone else is reacting to this inoffensively fun popcorn flick like it pissed in their drink, the only reasonable takeaway I can see is that fandom is a hell of a drug once it reaches critical mass, nevermind anti-fandom. Justice League is the information of a perfectly decent time at the theater struggling in vain to escape a black hole of built-in expectations. spoilers:
    Which makes it particularly bitter that DC getting Superman right in a movie for the literal first time in my life will do absolutely nothing to noticeably improve his profile, even if maybe it pulls the executioner's ax a bit off his neck for the time being in the court of public opinion.
    end of spoilers
    I take issue with your Superman was gotten right in this Movie for the first time. spoilers:
    Why because he stops in the middle of a fight to go save people?
    end of spoilers Yeah he was only able to do that cause he had HELP this time. Look at how Aquaman was at the beginning of the Movie vs at the End. It's basically what Superman was in MoS and BvS. Being different all you life can really get in your head and set you apart but I think having people around who really GET you in spite of that matters more then some people think. When you boil it down what is the Justice League? A bunch of Freaks who like to help people finding each other. Your basic high school clique. Flash said it best. To truly be Superman, he needed Friends. I think that's the message Snyder was ultimately trying to push, Freaks need friends too.

I just saw Justice League...i have to say i enjoyed it. i would see this movie again, My girlfriend loved it as well. we left the movie theater with smiles on our faces. we had a good time, which is exactly what we were looking for.

Spoilers:
    1.the whole superman vs Flash had me dying. that was a great scene.

2.Opening Aquaman story line was great, it shows he didn't become King yet.

3.Cyborg story was good, i want to know more about him. Plus im glad he learned how to change his look in the end.

4. The amazon fight scene was crazy, the way they were being taken down whiling keeping the motherbox away from Steppenwolf was amazing to see.

5. im glad they showed how fast Wonder Woman can be in the first 20 min of the movie. the way she blocked those bullets was beautiful.

6. Batman let out a lot of truth bombs in this movie. it was good to see, having batman call out everyone faults. and Wonder Woman calling him out on his own. i loved how they slide in how he was batman for 20 years. which leaves the door open for all the Robins to show up. We know Jason Todd happen already with the robin suit in the last movie. so we can be up to Tim Drake or jump right into Damian.
    Last edited by Darkgreed; 11-18-2017 at 07:09 AM.
    The dream is dead, so wake up and fight!

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    I take issue with your Superman was gotten right in this Movie for the first time. spoilers:
    end of spoilers Yeah he was only able to do that cause he had HELP this time. Look at how Aquaman was at the beginning of the Movie vs at the End. It's basically what Superman was in MoS and BvS. Being different all you life can really get in your head and set you apart but I think having people around who really GET you in spite of that matters more then some people think. When you boil it down what is the Justice League? A bunch of Freaks who like to help people finding each other. Your basic high school clique. Flash said it best. To truly be Superman, he needed Friends. I think that's the message Snyder was ultimately trying to push, Freaks need friends too.
    ...because I liked his writing and performance and found him recognizable as the dude he's typically portrayed as, in a way that wasn't the case in the previous movies aside from sporadically in MOS and maybe for 10 collective minutes or so in Returns? It was a whole package kind of deal, and it didn't feel like a conscious thematic 'evolution' from how they wrote him before so much as them deciding he's just going to be like this now because pop culture at large pretty roundly rejected their previous approach, same as Batman's personality for instance does a near-total 180 in here to the point of overcorrecting.
    Buh-bye

Retired

To my way of thinking "Alright, watchable, but nothing special; a bit of a disappointment" is still a passing grade. If I was in high school and I got that on my report card, then I'd have passed and got into the next year (but maybe I'd have to do some extra study). It's mediocre but not bad. However, it seems like these kind of grades are aggregated as fails not passes by the Tomatometer.

Saw it yesterday and honestly while BVS somewhat killed my hype for the DCEU I enjoyed Justice League. I found the villain to be a bit meh but other factors made up for that. Mainly the return of my favorite DCEU hero and Mamoa's Aquaman. It wasn't a perfect film but it was enjoyable nonetheless and I plan to see it a second time.
    Somewhere, a nerd cries. I feel nothing.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    spoilers:

Yes, partially, because that is Superman. A big part of it was that he seemed in better spirits, focused on saving people before punching the big bad, and overall seemed to be someone who inspired confidence. Superman's here! We're going to be okay! My audience cheered and applauded when he announced his presence in the climax of the movie, which was the only time they did so before the credits. The wonderful WW scene, Supes v JL fight, nothing else elicited such a response and those are generally agreed to be some of the more entertaining moments.

Moreover, Superman is a lot like us, but he's not us. He's what we could be if we really tried. He doesn't stumble where we do, but he helps us up and makes sure we can keep moving forward. Snyder was trying so hard to dig into the drama of his tragedy that he forgot the whimsy and triumph of the character. He doesn't brood because he's different. He makes it an advantage and finds a way to do the right thing. He has the most interesting, adventurous life that ever will be and he's overall a cheerful character. Zack made him a broody teen who nobody "gets" because the weight of the world is on his shoulders and, unlike Superman, he buckles and questions himself. Henry does his best in every movie with the material he's given, but he finally got to play the character this time. The Superman in Justice League is pretty much the best we've had since Reeve while not actually doing a riff on the guy. It's a great portrayal for a modern generation. He's heroic, has some humor to him, and seems to live an adventurous life. He's that older brother or uncle you really hope you can be as cool as one day; a genuinely inspiring hero.

Furthermore, I'd argue that Superman or any of these characters need the rest of the JL to be who they are. They have their origin stories for that. Bruce needs his parents to get shot. Clark needs Krypton to blow, his parents to love him and send him to two more loving parents who inspire him. Diana needs to be raised by the Amazons and realize man's world needs saving. These are what make them Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. They'd be those characters with or without a Justice League.

I'd also argue the JL aren't a bunch of freaks. For the most part, DC's characters are well-put together mentally and emotionally, even those with some darker pasts. The only real freak of the bunch is Barry, too, as everyone else's gifts are natural to them (Clark, Diana, Arthur, J'onn) or tech/tools (Hal and Bruce). Barry was the one guy who got hit by lightning and chemicals. In film's League, there's just Barry and Victor. Everyone else is still fundamentally normal unless you just want to call anyone extranormal a freak.

People are saying this movie got the tone right because, at the end of the day, DC characters shine best when they're a bit less dour. Snyder missed the point every time because he wanted to go toward DKR and Watchmen. It's what he loves. It's not really what DC is about, though, so it's just a very abstract take on the concepts and Superman is so antithetical to everything that entails.

To answer the primary thread, I had fun in the movie but it's objectively so uneven I can't really give it a pass. That said, at moments I was so genuinely overcome with joy I laughed out loud. I even cheered at the first post-credit stinger. Didn't love Barry, but Aquaman was fun to watch even if it's a vastly divergent take. It's definitely a course correction tonally. The horrendous plot be damned, if I just watched a bunch of clips on YouTube, I'd genuinely have a blast. Some moments really are wonderful for DC fans.

end of spoilers
    Last edited by Robanker; 11-19-2017 at 09:34 AM.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

I still maintain that Zack Snyder was a mistake. He’s a talented director with a vary polarizing style. That’s a problematic trait to have for your tent pole franchise. I doubt he would get as much flack if he was directing the Batman movies or the suicide squad movies. But I don’t feel his style meshes well with a lot of the other league members.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I still maintain that Zack Snyder was a mistake. He’s a talented director with a vary polarizing style. That’s a problematic trait to have for your tent pole franchise. I doubt he would get as much flack if he was directing the Batman movies or the suicide squad movies. But I don’t feel his style meshes well with a lot of the other league members.
    I'm with you, he is good at specific tones. I'd honestly rather see him take on, say, The Punisher. His penchant for over-the-top action and darker imagery would work there and he can go as dark as he wants to, be it dour or downright soul-crushing, and his character doesn't need to be all that restrained. It's a better vehicle for his talents than the DC characters who, at the end of the day, are morally upright characters in a more upbeat universe (sans Gotham, naturally).

BANNED

While I dont think the petition thats been launched will matter in the slightest to WB's decision making, I have to say I really do hope an extended directors cut gets released at some point.

Heck, if all wishes came true, I'd want a remastered version where Whedon's stuff is removed along with Elfman's score and Junkie XL gets back to making a new one.

Very good, enjoyable and engaging, worth seeing again pretty much sums it up. I liked this version of Superman especially and Batman was also more likeable. Didn't really care for
    how Wonder Woman was used though, she was just sort of there. I liked Cyborg a lot, didn't think much of the idea using him before, would have preferred Martian Manhunter.
    But as the plot went, Cyborg was essential. Aquaman is going to ruin all the future jokes about Aquaman, and that is a good thing. Flash is also more likeable than what the TV version
    has become, which is ironic because so many people wanted Grant Gustin mostly because at the time the Flash TV show was so good. And the story was easy to follow, not any
    real "why is this happening?" moments. The only real negative was Steppenwolf. He was a joke for a villain, just something to punch. Worse than Ares. Even Enchantress had
    more depth as a villain and was more fully developed. Why is it with the vast array of villains DC has, we get the K list villains in the movies? Only Zod had any real gravitas, and
    they killed him.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    spoilers:

Yes, partially, because that is Superman. A big part of it was that he seemed in better spirits, focused on saving people before punching the big bad, and overall seemed to be someone who inspired confidence. Superman's here! We're going to be okay! My audience cheered and applauded when he announced his presence in the climax of the movie, which was the only time they did so before the credits. The wonderful WW scene, Supes v JL fight, nothing else elicited such a response and those are generally agreed to be some of the more entertaining moments.

Moreover, Superman is a lot like us, but he's not us. He's what we could be if we really tried. He doesn't stumble where we do, but he helps us up and makes sure we can keep moving forward. Snyder was trying so hard to dig into the drama of his tragedy that he forgot the whimsy and triumph of the character. He doesn't brood because he's different. He makes it an advantage and finds a way to do the right thing. He has the most interesting, adventurous life that ever will be and he's overall a cheerful character. Zack made him a broody teen who nobody "gets" because the weight of the world is on his shoulders and, unlike Superman, he buckles and questions himself. Henry does his best in every movie with the material he's given, but he finally got to play the character this time. The Superman in Justice League is pretty much the best we've had since Reeve while not actually doing a riff on the guy. It's a great portrayal for a modern generation. He's heroic, has some humor to him, and seems to live an adventurous life. He's that older brother or uncle you really hope you can be as cool as one day; a genuinely inspiring hero.

Furthermore, I'd argue that Superman or any of these characters need the rest of the JL to be who they are. They have their origin stories for that. Bruce needs his parents to get shot. Clark needs Krypton to blow, his parents to love him and send him to two more loving parents who inspire him. Diana needs to be raised by the Amazons and realize man's world needs saving. These are what make them Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. They'd be those characters with or without a Justice League.

I'd also argue the JL aren't a bunch of freaks. For the most part, DC's characters are well-put together mentally and emotionally, even those with some darker pasts. The only real freak of the bunch is Barry, too, as everyone else's gifts are natural to them (Clark, Diana, Arthur, J'onn) or tech/tools (Hal and Bruce). Barry was the one guy who got hit by lightning and chemicals. In film's League, there's just Barry and Victor. Everyone else is still fundamentally normal unless you just want to call anyone extranormal a freak.

People are saying this movie got the tone right because, at the end of the day, DC characters shine best when they're a bit less dour. Snyder missed the point every time because he wanted to go toward DKR and Watchmen. It's what he loves. It's not really what DC is about, though, so it's just a very abstract take on the concepts and Superman is so antithetical to everything that entails.

To answer the primary thread, I had fun in the movie but it's objectively so uneven I can't really give it a pass. That said, at moments I was so genuinely overcome with joy I laughed out loud. I even cheered at the first post-credit stinger. Didn't love Barry, but Aquaman was fun to watch even if it's a vastly divergent take. It's definitely a course correction tonally. The horrendous plot be damned, if I just watched a bunch of clips on YouTube, I'd genuinely have a blast. Some moments really are wonderful for DC fans.

end of spoilers
    Superman questioning himself is not something Snyder invented and has been going for far longer than you realize. DC has occupied a wide variety of tones, characters and stories. They are not just one thing. And frankly, I think the Avengers gave people a far more flattering opinion of just how much superheroes prioritize civilians over stopping villains. The fight in MoS was little different from most one one one superhero battles

As for the idea that no one was inspired by Snyder's Superman?

Zack Snyder’s DC Films helped people Overcome depression & suicidal thoughts

https://superherotalksite.wordpress....-stories-here/