Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default DC 2018: "greater emphasis on the artist over the writer"

According to a Bleeding Cool article (Not a reliable source, but whatever), in 2018, writers at DC will be instructed to work the so-called “Marvel Method”, wherein "the the artist works from a story synopsis from the writer (or plotter), rather than a full script. The artist creates page-by-page plot details on his or her own, after which the work is returned to the writer for the insertion of dialogue."

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/11...d-that-marvel/

Incredible Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar

How does someone like Tom King operate going forward?

King posted some of his scripts for Vision earlier. Given the faith showed in his artist from those scripts, I can see him acclimating well.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Interesting. I wonder what this will do for the quality of the books and stories?

I imagine it's up to how well the writer/artist team communicate?
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I know that's also how successful creative teams have worked in the past (at DC Infantino draw and left his dialogue boxes blank, if I remember right) but I can't imagine it. Maybe because I can write but can't illustrate. The dialogue the writer wants can't exist if the art panels don't support them. But I guess those major moments are instructed beforehand. If the artist is in control of them then I don't see why they don't fill in the dialogue boxes themselves. I don't know.

Well... that's one way to keep Bendis from doing 20 pages of talking heads...

This is actually one of my favorite methods for comics and it worked really well on the Giffen/DeMatteis JLI run, which used it.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Eh...I'm not sure how well I see this working out, because giving so much control to the artist reminds me of how we got Tony Daniel inexplicably writing Batman books and Deathstroke or Bryan Hitch on Justice League, even if this is a completely different thing and another writer is still involved.

Though I am kind of amused by how much DC is liberally taking from Marvel, idea-wise .

I think this is fantastic news. I don't want comics to be like hip-hop music. Ie: the producer makes a beat and a rapper buys it and makes it his own, without much communication between the two (usually). Sure, that can work just fine, but more input from the artist can only be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto's Fleas View Post
    How does someone like Tom King operate going forward?
    Well Vision and Mr. Miracle are obviously highly influenced by their respective artists, so I don't see why anything would change.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers