Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Savage Dragon.

Still winning!

Quote Originally Posted by icctrombone View Post
    Erik already explained in a previous post that everything he does comes with a price. He doesn't have a big bad company to cover all the costs of this venture, he has to pay for everything out of his pocket. It's no good for him to gamble on a possible low selling collection.
    Marketing it at stores would be a prob. My local shop basically sells comics and merch for the big 2. At least 4/5th of the product space is dedicated to the Big 2. A compendium aimed at new readers would not get decent product placement at my local shop. I imagine it's the same at most comic shops. The only other store in my area for comics is Barnes and Noble. But they mainly do watered down/mainstream stuff that's gonna sell tremendously. They don't take chances on indie stuff. So the problem on Erik's end would be getting retailers on the ball.

This is also a problem that Ant would face if resurrected. I highly doubt Barnes and Noble would sell Ant trades. And the local shops would have poor placement.
    Last edited by JFP; 04-02-2019 at 05:25 AM.

BANNED

Erik already explained in a previous post that everything he does comes with a price. He doesn't have a big bad company to cover all the costs of this venture, he has to pay for everything out of his pocket. It's no good for him to gamble on a possible low selling collection.
    Say what you want about the BIG 2, but at least they cover the cost when it comes to collecting the adventures of the hero in a specific storyline.

When it comes to Savage Dragon Collections, especially the BIG collections of past issues are few and in-between.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Say what you want about the BIG 2, but at least they cover the cost when it comes to collecting the adventures of the hero in a specific storyline.

When it comes to Savage Dragon Collections, especially the BIG collections of past issues are few and in-between.
    Yes , but the big two probably take 99% of the profits.

That's not exactly how that works. For trades--I'm not actually cutting anybody a check--Image does that. It's just that the books may be in the red for quite some time. Creators don't cut Image checks. Image publishes books and they get reimbursed for their costs before creators get their cut. With comics--sales are high enough that Image is cutting creators a check immediately--with trades--it can take a while.

At the same time--if I'm saying, "Hey--let's publish 20 hardcover books collecting everything that's come out thus far"--that might not be a reasonable request. There are limits to how much Image would gamble on something like that (and that goes for every company--it's not as though DC has every issue of Superman or Batman in print or Marvel has every issue of Spider-Man in print--that's a LOT of books to keep in print and stores aren't likely to order that many books at one time and most fans wouldn't take out a loan to pay for them).

There are over 20 Savage Dragon trades in print right now. I don't see any company making available the last 243 issues of any series in print.

Spectacular Member

When it comes to tpbs, the ones that have been the best for me are the Savage Dragon Archives Volumes One - Three. They collect the three-issue mini-series and issues 1-75 of the regular series. They are the best of your work for the Dragon.

I had gotten issue 240 and was highly disappointed.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Larsen View Post
    There are over 20 Savage Dragon trades in print right now. I don't see any company making available the last 243 issues of any series in print.
    Batman and Superman of DC comics maybe ?

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

The premium hardcovers are indeed for a niche group I suppose. Probably more soft cover tpb are bought by more retailers and consumers.
    That said, I prefer a nice oversized HC book. I bought the first 4 Spawn Origins Deluxe HC and that stalled out some years ago.

If Savage Dragon was done I'd buy something similar. An OHC that collects say 25-30 issues at a pop for $75/100usd.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Batman and Superman of DC comics maybe ?
    Not really. It's scattershot--hit and miss with huge gaps.

It doesn't have to be collected, I have them collected in two large boxes.

Just came back to the fold, collected the first 100 issues back in the day. Started reading again and I'm in the process of catching up.
    Only need 94 more issues to catch up.

I just binged the last years worth of issues to catch up, and maaan, i'm digging the book a lot right now. Ever since Malcolm became the lead and they upped sticks to Canada the book has reminded me a lot of the earlier days, and i like the more slice-of-life dynamic. Dem kids are growing up so fast...

Between trades and single issues , I only need another 32 issues to complete the run.
    Not easy to find , but that's the fun of it. Loving the story so far.

Mighty Member

Read the issues Sad that the original Dragon died but happy that Malcolm Took over. You know I honestly expected the series to end after a while but dang Erik manages to keep things interesting keep up the Good work.

Extraordinary Member

Really liked 244 a lot of stuff going on but glad it went the streamlined route and nothing was lost. In fact I think it packed more of a punch that way no pun intended(lying)lol. But yeah I like the idea of a comic character talking about their own comic as a separate thing. Malcolm and Maxine talking to the comic committee was funny. "Modern readers hate captions" lol. "We need to pad issues for the trade market." Brilliant stuff. Glad you didn't go that route and kept it compressed. The set up for the fight with Powerhouse and execution was great too.

Great action and character development all without having to do a 6 issue story arc lol. Like what you've done with Ant too btw good stuff Man.