Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 118

Thread: Savage Dragon.

  1. #16
    All-New Member Cezar The Scribe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Erik is not holding back with the porn stuff.

    That turned me away. I want the comic back to the way it was.

  2. #17
    Spectacular Member DavidRA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Me too. I've dropped the title over that and the politics.
    Give me Brexit, or give me death!

  3. #18
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    17

    Default

    The sex and the politics are things that come up every now and then. They are in my opinion not the main content of the book. The new, more pornographic display of sex is pretty uncommon for US superhero comics but so far it's been mainly comedy relief. It's something Erik wants to try and I applaud him for always trying new stuff. The book has been through so many changes - that's what it's all about and that's what make's it so great. So if you are saying you want it back to the way it was I wonder what exactly you are talking about. The Kurr era? When Malcom was a teenager? The comic strip era? The "Savage World" era? Dragon as a cop?

    I really love the book and even if Erik did something I might not agree with I'd still enjoy it enough to read on and wait for a brighter day.

    If you want to find out more about the book check out the revamped official website: http://www.savagedragon.com

  4. #19
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    642

    Default

    Whats a good jumping on spot.I want to try it out

  5. #20
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,858

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    Whats a good jumping on spot.I want to try it out
    Either issue 192 when Malcolm takes over or 150.

    The new, more pornographic display of sex is pretty uncommon for US superhero comics but so far it's been mainly comedy relief.
    I think folks want it toned down and it was a bit too graphic the last two issues for me. It just makes it harder to sell to new readers with all that, otherwise the book is fine.

  6. #21
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    642

    Default

    i ment resent its on 230.I heard 227 is a good jumping on

  7. #22
    All-New Member Cezar The Scribe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I think folks want it toned down and it was a bit too graphic the last two issues for me. It just makes it harder to sell to new readers with all that, otherwise the book is fine.
    I want it taken out completely. The issues it was in edited and rereleased.

  8. #23
    Amazing Member Paulie Blade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Danzig, Poland
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cezar The Scribe View Post
    I want it taken out completely. The issues it was in edited and rereleased.
    Just out of curiosity... why?

  9. #24
    Still winning!
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie Blade View Post
    Just out of curiosity... why?
    I'm curious about this too. It was never a children's book. It has always been extremely violent. I don't feel the sex is any worse than the violence.

  10. #25
    All-New Member Cezar The Scribe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    15

    Default

    I'm fine with the violence, because in a superhero comics that will always be there.

    Adult themes don't need to be there.

    Marketed correctly and toned down a comic can reach more people and sell better.

  11. #26
    Mighty Member Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,301

    Default

    Sex is a normal, naturally occurring thing. Why is sex so bad to showcase but extreme violence and death are totally fine? That's so weird to me.
    Kickstarter for my comic Is'nana the Were-Spider, Vol 1 and 2!

    Horror/fantasy coming of age book about the son of Anansi the Spider seeking for his place in the world.

  12. #27
    Astonishing Member Joker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,275

    Default

    Sex is normal.

    You know what isn't? Shooting a load so large it sends your wife flying across the room, ending up upside down with cum pouring out of her vagina into her mouth. Let alone drawing that in your fucking comic. Neither of those things are normal, nor are they a healthy depiction of a normal, natural act practiced by adults.

    I have no problem with nudity or sex in comics, but this was the kind of vulgar nonsense a 13 year old would draw and think, 'man, that's funny!'. Guess what? It wasn't. It was juvenile, though.

    So yeah, I can see why people would have objections to that in a comic that's never been like that for the last 200+ issues.

  13. #28
    Still winning!
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Sex is a normal, naturally occurring thing. Why is sex so bad to showcase but extreme violence and death are totally fine? That's so weird to me.
    First off, it's Erik Larsen's comic. His comic, his rules.

    Secondly, Larsen has made it abundantly clear that his comic isn't high art. His comic is exploitative escapist fiction based on his childhood fantasies. So complaining that his comic is escapist entertainment from the mind of a 13 year old is as stupid as complaining that the Walking Dead has zombies in it.

    Lastly, Stefan spelled it out perfectly when he said, "It's something Erik wants to try and I applaud him for always trying new stuff. The book has been through so many changes - that's what it's all about and that's what make's it so great. I really love the book and even if Erik did something I might not agree with I'd still enjoy it enough to read on and wait for a brighter day." Even though the porn wasn't there before, Stefan makes it clear that Erik is about trying new stuff that'll get a reaction out of his audience. And like Stefan, even though I don't agree with him, I applaud him for having the balls to put it in there while other creators wouldn't have the balls to take chances with their comic.

  14. #29
    Mighty Member Coal Tiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,898

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Sex is normal.

    You know what isn't? Shooting a load so large it sends your wife flying across the room, ending up upside down with cum pouring out of her vagina into her mouth. Let alone drawing that in your fucking comic. Neither of those things are normal, nor are they a healthy depiction of a normal, natural act practiced by adults.

    I have no problem with nudity or sex in comics, but this was the kind of vulgar nonsense a 13 year old would draw and think, 'man, that's funny!'. Guess what? It wasn't. It was juvenile, though.

    So yeah, I can see why people would have objections to that in a comic that's never been like that for the last 200+ issues.
    If this kind of stuff was in the Savage Dragon comic when I was reading it in the mid 90's as a teenager, I would have been elated and it would have been my favorite comic. 20 or so years later, the novelty is gone. Yeah, once upon a time before my access to the internet, if I wanted to see boobs and gore I read Savage Dragon and Lady Death or something, but I have long since discovered porn and actual sex, so I don't need comics for that kind of illicit material. I can appreciate that for the last 25 years, Larsen did a comic that was exactly what he wanted with little to no compromises, but in that time, the things that I wanted have changed. I can also appreciate that suddenly the comic is showing nudity and ejaculation when it hasn't for 25 years, it might be off-putting for people who have stuck with it this long.

    Also, I think Malcom is a fucking boring character, but that's a whole other conversation.

  15. #30
    Still winning!
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    If this kind of stuff was in the Savage Dragon comic when I was reading it in the mid 90's as a teenager, I would have been elated and it would have been my favorite comic. 20 or so years later, the novelty is gone. Yeah, once upon a time before my access to the internet, if I wanted to see boobs and gore I read Savage Dragon and Lady Death or something, but I have long since discovered porn and actual sex, so I don't need comics for that kind of illicit material. I can appreciate that for the last 25 years, Larsen did a comic that was exactly what he wanted with little to no compromises, but in that time, the things that I wanted have changed. I can also appreciate that suddenly the comic is showing nudity and ejaculation when it hasn't for 25 years, it might be off-putting for people who have stuck with it this long.

    Also, I think Malcom is a fucking boring character, but that's a whole other conversation.
    Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with Cezar or anyone else having a problem with the sex elements in the story. Or any other elements that make them uncomfortable (like politics).

    It's just utterly idiotic to complain that Savage Dragon features juvenile story elements only a teen would find cool. Erik has made it abundantly clear that Savage Dragon, both the character and the story, are his childhood fantasies come to life. While he mixes elements to satisfy his adult self, much of it is the mixing of elements to satisfy the juvenile kid within him, since the character is something based on his juvenile fantasies. If you've been reading it for 200+ issues, you would know this.

    How can you have been following along for 200+ issues of SD and just now wake up and say, "Hey, this story features elements that are extremely juvenile. Where did that come from?"? That's as stupid as reading the Walking Dead for 170+ issues and saying, "Hey, this story features characters trying to survive a zombie apocalypse. Where did that come from?"

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •