Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Savage Dragon.

Spectacular Member SavageJudgeDredd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by icctrombone View Post
    I walked into my Comic shop and the two workers there seemed to think that maybe S Dragon was going to stop publishing for poor sales. We can't expect Erik to produce the book on a loss every month.
    It's been selling better in recent years, and word has been pretty good in Erik's interviews. Still sounds like he's in to keep the book going for a long time. I'm not worried, it seems it's in as sustainable a place as ever. But we can always spread the word!

Quote Originally Posted by SavageJudgeDredd View Post
    It's been selling better in recent years, and word has been pretty good in Erik's interviews. Still sounds like he's in to keep the book going for a long time. I'm not worried, it seems it's in as sustainable a place as ever. But we can always spread the word!
    Let’s buy two copies each.

The Savage Dragon Ultimate Collection is simply beautiful. So glad it exists. Robert Kirkman's intro really spoke to me.

Ive been buying SD since the day it released in 1992, even though Ive been in and out of 'other' comics thru that span of time - I always dropped in a shop to buy SD in all those years. The book was always something I could look forward to. Following a single title for so long, I can pinpoint and remember parts of my life lined up with which Savage Dragon issue released.

Im so happy to re-read the series I cherish in oversized format. The opening inside cover spread of the burning field, the quality of the transfers to the oversized format, the sketches section in the back that goes far above and beyond, the inside slipcover select reviews, even Erik's bio writeup is pure gold. Just amazing. Thank you Mr. Larsen!

The only nitpick I have, and I felt I needed to post it somewhere online - is that I strongly dislike that the covers are collected into the back of the book! I really wished they were right there with the issue breaks! Please Mr. Larsen, if you read this - please reconsider the layout going forward.
    Last edited by Destro777; 01-29-2023 at 09:45 AM.
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm

Interestingly, those early trades don't have issue breaks. Since they have added story pages between issues which connect them, like they were a continuous graphic novel. So there isn't always a place to put the issue covers that would fit the flow for the early trades with those extra pages. I'm sure the later collections will put the covers throughout though, like the later trades do. But I know what you mean, it feels different that way. I forget how long the extra pages thing goes, at least the first 8 paperbacks or more I think.

And happy to hear you're a Dragon fan for life! I got into it around 2006/07 myself, and am definitely on board forever.
    Last edited by SavageJudgeDredd; 01-29-2023 at 01:31 PM.

Mighty Member

A new issue is coming this week

Absolutely, just saw mention that issue 264 is done too! This is gonna be a year of the Dragon!

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Very excited to read a new issue at long last!

Mighty Member

now that the issue is coming can we get a update on the dates of savage dragon

waiting so long for an issue made me feel like i was waiting for an Image comic in the 90's. weird though because Dragon was the Image comic that was always out on time back then.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

The latest issue was definitely worth the wait, the book didn't miss a beat and packed a bloody punch. Can't wait to read what happens next.

I just gotta say after all these years - Larsen is still the best artist for sheer action and motion next to Jack Kirby and Simonson. Ever since Larsen's art caught my eye in middle school with the 'triangle lips' Punisher and Spidey issues - that was the thing that did it. The dynamic kinetic motion of his characters and panels. His characters move and flow. The shards of wood and rock debris and dust is his signature "Larsen Crackle" in the same vein as the Kirby Crackle. No one does action better in comics.

Quote Originally Posted by SavageJudgeDredd View Post
    Interestingly, those early trades don't have issue breaks. Since they have added story pages between issues which connect them, like they were a continuous graphic novel. So there isn't always a place to put the issue covers that would fit the flow for the early trades with those extra pages. I'm sure the later collections will put the covers throughout though, like the later trades do. But I know what you mean, it feels different that way. I forget how long the extra pages thing goes, at least the first 8 paperbacks or more I think.

And happy to hear you're a Dragon fan for life! I got into it around 2006/07 myself, and am definitely on board forever.
    Perhaps that the reasoning for the covers in the back. I didnt own any of the TPBs outside of the first one. I saw Erik posts on this forum - maybe he will see our posts about the cover placement.
    Last edited by Destro777; 02-04-2023 at 07:01 AM.
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    The latest issue was definitely worth the wait, the book didn't miss a beat and packed a bloody punch. Can't wait to read what happens next.
    good to hear. i'm always pumped for a Mako appearance, hope **** gets brutal.

Extraordinary Member

Good to see Savage Dragon back. The latest ish is pretty graphic but we're used to that by now. Wondering where that new char came from.

Ant is back up too. The most coherent issue yet imo. As to the question of reprinting #12 or skipping it. I suggest a reprint or different story. Skipping the issue would just be confusing. And the start was kinda confusing already.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    good to hear. i'm always pumped for a Mako appearance, hope **** gets brutal.
    Indeed. Something's bound to happen, when Mako is on the loose...

Mighty Member

I received my copy of the Ultimate Collection v1 this week and sat down yesterday to start reading it. I thought I'd move through it slowly, savoring stories I hadn't read in 20 years probably. I'm sure you all see where this is going - I couldn't put it down and read the whole thing after dinner. It's still fantastic all these years later and not just "this was cool when I was a teenager" good. I had been hoping for a Compendium release (just go get through material quicker), but the bigger pages and the extra material in the back doesn't have me regretting the choice for how this is being released. I'm really hoping to see a volume 2 solicited soon. My memory is getting poor in my old age, but I'm pretty sure I really enjoyed the next batch of stories even more than these.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm