Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Savage Dragon.

Amazing Member

I had much the same experience. After finishing the ultimate collection, I cracked open my Companion for the summary of 1-100 and started a re-read at 100. I'm up to 123 and it's just such a fun read. I know the holes in my collection start around the 210 where I originally started losing interest in the series, but now I'm trying to track those missing issues down and get caught up.

Maybe I didn't give Malcom a fair shake the first time through? I'm looking forward to finding out.

I probably should have just re-read the whole run, but I'm hoping for subsequent volumes of the Ultimate to follow sooner rather than later. I too would have preferred the Compendium style (in color), but the Ultimate format really brings out the art.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Indeed. Something's bound to happen, when Mako is on the loose...

that's what i'm talking about.

Mighty Member

another book is coming next week

Its funny, kinda crazy, and remarkable - that Erik Larsen seems to be the only person on the planet that can draw Savage Dragon's fin right.
    It doesnt matter if its a highly professional artist in the field for decades, fan art - whatever. Years and years of pinups, fan art, spinoffs, backup stories. I have a knack for drawing and I cant do it - its impossible. Jim Lee, anybody - no one can draw it right!

You can immediately see in everyone not named Larsen's Dragon rendition that the fin is off - its wrong - and its not correct. Its basically become an in-art signature of sorts.

Drawing Dragon's fin is a Larsen superpower in itself...
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Destro777 View Post
    Its funny, kinda crazy, and remarkable - that Erik Larsen seems to be the only person on the planet that can draw Savage Dragon's fin right.
    It doesnt matter if its a highly professional artist in the field for decades, fan art - whatever. Years and years of pinups, fan art, spinoffs, backup stories. I have a knack for drawing and I cant do it - its impossible. Jim Lee, anybody - no one can draw it right!

You can immediately see in everyone not named Larsen's Dragon rendition that the fin is off - its wrong - and its not correct. Its basically become an in-art signature of sorts.

Drawing Dragon's fin is a Larsen superpower in itself...
    I never noticed that.

Amazing Member

So I'm now current through issue 210. I had to grab the Archive editions because I had too many gaps between 200-250. Maybe it's just the black and white print, but it really struck me how much Savage Dragon has in common with manga. When you read it in big chucks, it reads like the best of Berserk or some other long running series. Lots of characters with a story moving forward in time and plenty of monsters, severed appendages and kink to keep the pages turning.

Also, I saw where the second HC volume is solicited along with a tpb of Megaton, so that's exciting.

Mighty Member

Oh, wow, late June! That's far quicker than I could have hoped. 2x a year works just great for me!
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Amazing Member

I'm now current through issue 230. Still enjoying, but I can see where the kink getting dialed up to 11 would make most people blush and some would turn away completely. It's all done in such a lighthearted (and loving) manner though, so there's no real reason to get upset. What is disturbing is Glum (spoiler) taking that baby clone Angel..

I also appreciate how the move to Canada is mirroring my real world contemplations of doing the same.

Another week and I'll be caught up and then your burden of reading my pedestrian recaps will be over.

Mighty Member

Getting up to date with savage dragon is fun wonder if we get a new version of overlord soon alogn with another version of darklord

Quote Originally Posted by Toxin45 View Post
    Getting up to date with savage dragon is fun wonder if we get a new version of overlord soon alogn with another version of darklord
    Agreed. I'd even settle for another version of Omega Spawn & (finally) a resolution to Image United

Last edited by K7P5V; 03-04-2023 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Added Clarification.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Agreed. I'd even settle for another version of Omega Spawn & (finally) a resolution to Image United

well omega spawn shows up in the main spawn comics as a seperate being from al

Quote Originally Posted by Toxin45 View Post
    well omega spawn shows up in the main spawn comics as a seperate being from al
    Awesome! Glad to hear Al's back to being his own man again.

Amazing Member

They really make it hard to find these forums. I hope it's not a sign of an ending to the board.

So I've caught up through 263. I had a blast reading everything in such a short span of time. It's a fun series and it, together with Invincible, probably best represent what superhero comics can and should be.

If I just wanted to complain (because that's what message boards are for?), I would complain about the reliance and the science of all these blood transfusions. My god, there were so many! It's comics and disbeliefs have to be suspended, but narratively speaking, I felt the series went to that well one too many times.

Now I'm off to read the mini-series and tie-ins!

Extraordinary Member

I missed something, I thought Dart was dead.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    I missed something, I thought Dart was dead.
    This is the third dart sister of the original