Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    I'm pretty sure that just about anything where the heroes meet for the first time is going to have the heroes fighting each other for part of it.
    I think people can't stop using the worst element of Marvel civil war

The idea of a shared animated movie universe is an absolutely great one (look how great the Timmverse was/still is). JL: War and Son of Batman might not have been great starting points though.

War was better than what it adapted (I enjoyed the added Wonder Woman fight scenes) but, even then, I didn't find it particularly good. Son of Batman though was REALLY bad though and was an adaption in name only. It truly was a bad movie and the only thing it shared in common was the meeting between Batman and Damian. Everything else was unique and worse off that it originally was.

The quality has definitely dipped, compared to where it once was, but even the new stuff still blows away most of Marvel's animated offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by !Pharozonk! View Post
    The only good work that was put recently was JLA Adventures: Trapped in Time, which had the fun and energy of the old DCU that I loved.
    Agreed. I'd love to see more of these JLA movies, or better yet, a series in that same style and tone.

Some of the voice work sucks, animation good, and I liked the stories they've told us thus far in Son of Batman and Justice League War.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    They got off the wrong foot with War and Son of Batman. I mean the former and had the excuse of just adapting the source material, but the latter didn't.

Hopefully Throne of Atlantis is good though.
    Yeah, both movies were kind of lame. In a way, Son Of Batman is more infuriating because the idea had potential, while the first arc of Johns' Justice League was pretty unreadable in the first place, so the fact the movie was bad wasn't exactly a surprise.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by ABH-1979 View Post
    The quality has definitely dipped, compared to where it once was, but even the new stuff still blows away most of Marvel's animated offerings.
    While I'm more of a Marvel than a DC, I can't really disagree here (even if I was massively disappointed by War and Son of Batman). Marvel's animated shows have been ... just really bad (excluding the Anime verse which includes Avengers Confidential: Black Widow and Punisher which really was amazing).

Vertigo Psychonaut ChaoticScholar's Avatar

I liked Flashpoint, loved how they adapted Miller so much I bought the score. I want to read Batman and Son first.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Is View Post
    While I'm more of a Marvel than a DC, I can't really disagree here (even if I was massively disappointed by War and Son of Batman). Marvel's animated shows have been ... just really bad (excluding the Anime verse which includes Avengers Confidential: Black Widow and Punisher which really was amazing).
    Good to know. I'll check that out, when I can.

At best, something like Avengers Assemble shows the power of the brand, in that it can have terrible animation (produced my the lowest bidder, I'm assuming), but it's still the Avengers, which is hotter than the sun right now, so kids will watch, regardless.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    I think people can't stop using the worst element of Marvel civil war
    And pretty much ever other super-hero first-time team-up.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Just Is View Post
    The idea of a shared animated movie universe is an absolutely great one (look how great the Timmverse was/still is). JL: War and Son of Batman might not have been great starting points though.

War was better than what it adapted (I enjoyed the added Wonder Woman fight scenes) but, even then, I didn't find it particularly good. Son of Batman though was REALLY bad though and was an adaption in name only. It truly was a bad movie and the only thing it shared in common was the meeting between Batman and Damian. Everything else was unique and worse off that it originally was.
    Timmverse was another media, I don't think a shared universe will work that well in direct to DVD animation. the continuity has to be really loose.

I didn't like War, it felt... soulless some how :/

I actually kind of enjoyed Justice League: War. Didn't see Son of Batman, not really interested in it, but I'm definitely looking forward to the Aquaman one. I think it's great that they are building a new DC animated universe based more on the New 52, however I wouldn't mind seeing some stories of pre-New 52 coming into some of the stories as well.

One thing I will say is: They do need to change the voice acting, it's not even close to the voice acting of the Timm era

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    What I took from the interviews was that there was no continuity before, but that now they are going to try to start having it.
    The whole thing just felt a wee bit unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Damos40 View Post
    I really hate how the producers are acting like the previous DC animated films were part of some other universe, that's the part that really gets me.

I especially hate how the DC animated films are now limited to being adaptions of New 52 stories and not classic stories from the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliltron View Post
    I actually kind of enjoyed Justice League: War. Didn't see Son of Batman, not really interested in it, but I'm definitely looking forward to the Aquaman one. I think it's great that they are building a new DC animated universe based more on the New 52, however I wouldn't mind seeing some stories of pre-New 52 coming into some of the stories as well.

One thing I will say is: They do need to change the voice acting, it's not even close to the voice acting of the Timm era
    They are doing 3 movies a year...2 in continuity (new 52 animated universe) and one stand alone.

This year, we have JL:War and Son of Batman in the new 52 continuity and Assault on Arkham as standalone.

This doesn't mean that Warner Bros. Animation is limited to New 52 stories for the in-continuity releases -- they'll just be adapted to fit in the framework established by "Justice League: War," as in the case of "Son of Batman," based on the "Batman & Son" story by Grant Morrison and Andy Kubert from 2006.

"We can do original content, we can do New 52 stuff," Oliva told CBR. "I still want to do 'Gotham by Gaslight.' 'Red Son' would be a great one to do as a one-off."
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=50669
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

Things have been pretty sub par since Bruce Timm left and McDuffie passed away.
    Storytelling has gotten much weaker and everything seems to focus on the "badass" nature of superheroes, not to mention the increased violence.

I saw Batman and Son at Wonder Con and I can definitely say it is the worst DC animated movie yet.

Also, Andrea Romano has lost her touch. The voice casting/acting has been pretty weak lately.
    Last edited by Robotman; 05-02-2014 at 06:55 PM.