View Poll Results: Should Jean Grey be Phoenix?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, she should

38 52.78%
  • No, she shouldn't

12 16.67%
  • She should just use Phoenix as a codename, without having the Phoenix force

22 30.56%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Should Jean Grey be Phoenix?

With Jean's return, Phoenix Ressurection and now X-Men Red, there's a lot to talk about Jean. One thing though, that definetely devides the fans, it's whether or not after her return, Jean should still be the Phoenix(as in being a Phoenix host) or not.

Some argue that, Jean's connection with the Phoenix is one of the most iconic things about her character, and that she deserves to have it instead of being separated from it, specially since Marvel keeps using the Phoenix as a plot device elsewhere, posessing literally anyone, something that could finally stop if Marvel just let Jean have it.

Others, think that keeping her as the Phoenix will eventually lead to another Dark Phoenix saga, with writers not knowing any better, and that it will make her way too OP to the point where she could just do everything on her own and that the Phoenix is overused on Jean stories.

So, what do you guys think? Note that, this is a poll about what you WANT and think it SHOULD happen, not what you think it actually will. So please no "Lol of course she's gonna be Phoenix when there's a Dark Phoenix movie coming" or "Lol Marvel would never let her have the Phoenix cause that's way too OP etc" comments.

Edit: Added poll lol.
    Last edited by Wiccan; 11-14-2017 at 10:42 AM.

For me I want the Phoenix code name but leave the cosmic bird in space. Jean can reach phoenix level by her own terms.
    First X-Lady

Only if they could do something fresh with it rather than too powerful to stay in the books/for her own good. I love the name and iconography, but it needs expansion if it's going to stick around.

I think she should keep the Phoenix force because we already have a teen jean that doesn't have the Phoenix force. There should be something to differentiate their power sets.

She shouldn't be the Phoenix for one easy reason. She will fall again if she does keep the PF. It's a circle of death and life. After 15 years of waiting for her return, I don't want her to die again because she is the host of the PF.

But she can keep the name, if you say Phoenix in the Marvel Universe I'm sure almost everyone would say Jean.

But I can understand why some want her to be the Phoenix again, she is the host of the Phoenix Force but prepare for a new death because of it.

My first answer to the question is: YES!!

Now, as second-best, she should definitely keep the name, if not the firebird, since it's perfect for her.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    Only if they could do something fresh with it rather than too powerful to stay in the books/for her own good. I love the name and iconography, but it needs expansion if it's going to stick around.
    Maybe the armor plays in role in that, if she's wearing it to help her control her powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dethi View Post
    She shouldn't be the Phoenix for one easy reason. She will fall again if she does keep the PF. It's a circle of death and life. After 15 years of waiting for her return, I don't want her to die again because she is the host of the PF.

But she can keep the name, if you say Phoenix in the Marvel Universe I'm sure almost everyone would say Jean.

But I can understand why some want her to be the Phoenix again, she is the host of the Phoenix Force but prepare for a new death because of it.
    I liked when she was called Phoenix on the '90s even not as a host, and I knew some people would say that if it was just yes or no on the poll, so I thought I should add it, but I don't think that's something that would actualyl happen today. The Phoenix is a character of her own these days, and it would probably be a bit weird and confusing to have her still using the Phoenix name. Though, this is a thread for opinions rather than speculation, so I should proably not be talking about that lol.

Fantastic Member

Definately yes! I want Jean to have the Force since its rightfully hers. I want Jean's connection to the Phoenix to be explored more . Even when Jean loses the Phoenix it always comes back to her. Hate it that Marvel made the Phoenix less unique by giving it to everybody the last years.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

I think she should keep the codename Phoenix as it is hers. I don't care who else has had it (before or after), you say Phoenix and everyone knows you're talking about Jean Grey. As for the cosmic upgrade/actually hosting the Force I don't know that I want that for her. I can imagine that it is already hard enough to write characters that are massively powerful without them ending the story's plot with a thought, so it would be easier to have her not have the cosmic upgrade. Otherwise she'll be TAS Jean so quickly our heads will spin. So I don't want her to have the Force personally. I think it's literal final act forever should be to bring Jean back and then disappear for good.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhoenix View Post
    Definately yes! I want Jean to have the Force since its rightfully hers. I want to explore with Jean's connection to the Phoenix. Even when Jean loses the Phoenix it always comes back to her. Hate it that Marvel made the Phoenix less unique by giving it to everybody the last years.
    You know, that's one of the main reasons I REALLY wanted her to be Phoenix. If the Phoenix had been underused recently, or they had REALLY separated teen Jean from the Phoenix, I could understand that they just don't want the Phoenix to be on stuff. But, no, they keep using the Phoenix EVERYWHERE, and Jeen's entire series it's based around her inevitable encounter with the Phoenix. Plus all the angst about the Phoenix she has had since ANXM. Basically, the whole "Phoenix has been overused" "It would be a rehash" and etc feel like cheap excuses when Marvel never really cared about that before.

If the Phoenix was gonna go away FOR REAL after Phoenix Ressurection for example, I could live with it. But I doubt she will, plus with Warsong, AvX, Thor, etc, the mess has been done already.

Astonishing Member

I voted yes
    I think Jean should be Phoenix, but she should "share" the curse/responsability. By giving a piece of the Phoenix to all the proper Phoenix Hosts like Quentin, Hope, Rachel, the Korvus sword, perhaps X-Man and the 3 Cuckoos too. It would still be hers, so she could get them (the pieces) back whenever she wants it. It would help her live a more normal life, and make her less overpowered, otherwise it's like having Galactus on the team.

There was also this guy in Excalibur
    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Feron_(...ur)_(Earth-616)

I'm kind of divided

If it were for her to have adventures in space or have to face threats of the level that the Ultimates (Carol and Co.) faced then I think she should continue as Host.

But if it is to have adventures on Earth against evil threats level like doctor Sinister or Juggernaut then it is best not to have access to the powers of Phoenix.

Personally think Jean has had enough of Phoenix for a few years so let her live a little without the cosmic bird's shadow for a while .

Yes!! Jean IS Phoenix ("now and forever")!

Good writers can create stories that work with Jean's Phoenix powers.

No DP saga repeat necessary nor required!!

Incredible Member The Thunderbird's Avatar

I'd like for adult Jean to have a chance to develop to her own without being enhanced by the Phoenix. So no for now.