View Poll Results: Should Jean Grey be Phoenix?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, she should

38 52.78%
  • No, she shouldn't

12 16.67%
  • She should just use Phoenix as a codename, without having the Phoenix force

22 30.56%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhoenix View Post
    I agree. Emma had a codename?
    White Queen?

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    White Queen?
    That was more a title than code name. She dropped it bc she left the Inner Circle, although some writers have inconsistently used it in description boxes

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    That was more a title than code name. She dropped it bc she left the Inner Circle, although some writers have inconsistently used it in description boxes
    Well it's the only codename she's ever had so I'll take it. I remember it appearing a few times in captions during Morrison's run... and that's probably the last time it was used.

BANNED

No more cosmic get out of jail free cards. Back to TK and telepathy. She was getting punked by Nate Grey, Stryfe, and Exodus all the time.

I voted yes, mainly due to iconography. Im not the biggest Jean fan out there, and Marvel's whittled my X-fandom away over the years to the point I largely no longer care what happens to them outside of a few favorites. But Jean holding the PF is such a thing, how can you not love the idea?

The Phoenix adds a lot of story options and an extra playground for Jean to use. Then there's the larger ties to other corners of the MU like Asgard (I now want to see a Phoenix-Jean run into Odin) and the Shi'ar, who now call the Phoenix their god.

Jean's fine either way, but I think the PF adds more than it takes away. And the death-rebirth cycle....well, who's to say how long that cycle has to run? Could be decades before "death" roles around again. Or Jean could gain control of it fully and break that cycle, or at least bend it to her benefit, much as Thor has done with Ragnarok.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Yes, she should! After reading Generations Jean Grey I want Jean to be the Phoenix host again. I love her amped up powers and her finally getting into the dangerous battles the X-men fought. Regular Jean is fine but if Teen Jean is staying then her being the Phoenix host makes it all the better.

705613-jean_vs._galan_002.jpg

generations-phoenix-jean-grey-preview.jpg

663da25e6b179e586bf15bfc158b847a.jpg

I like the cosmic bird imagery and we all know that sooner or later she's going to be Phoenix again, so let's get that out of the way and let her have new stories.
    Her power level doesn't need to be an issue either. She's definitely top-tier but even as Phoenix she fell for Mesmero and Mastermind's tricks. Rachel often got pawned in Excalibur, etc... I'm sure a good writer can come with some explanations.

BANNED

Should Peter Parker be Spider-Man?

Does a mall babe love blood?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    Well it's the only codename she's ever had so I'll take it. I remember it appearing a few times in captions during Morrison's run... and that's probably the last time it was used.
    it was used as recently as Secret Empire.
    When Emma got a piece of the cosmic cube (by putting Iron Fist to sleep and making him forget everything) she said something like "White Queen to base...." to let them know she succeeded. Its also kind of a continuity mess, because if she said that, then it was not a secret in New Tian high command that she was mind controlling Xorn with a piece of a cosmic cube.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lutecius View Post
    I like the cosmic bird imagery and we all know that sooner or later she's going to be Phoenix again, so let's get that out of the way and let her have new stories.
    Her power level doesn't need to be an issue either. She's definitely top-tier but even as Phoenix she fell for Mesmero and Mastermind's tricks. Rachel often got pawned in Excalibur, etc... I'm sure a good writer can come with some explanations.
    I always thought Jean could fall to Mesmero (or Sauron), because in the Marvel universe hypnosis seems to be very different from telepathic mind control. That is why Jean with the Phoenix would beat all the great telepaths, but could fall for hypnotizers. Back then you had many psychics who could do only one thing (Mastermind illusions, Karma possession, Empath emotional control, Dani Moonstar too had a very specific psychic power), and werent treated as telepaths.
    I remember once Xavier couldnt make Magik come out of her room (because of her demon body Magik was immune to both Xavier and Emma), so Xavier made Karma possess Magik.
    And Emma used Empath to affect the emotions of Magneto, as in, she couldnt get through his helmet, but Empaths power over emotions was different from normal telepathy.
    Now it seems like all those differences have blurred.

Extraordinary Member

I think this is a very important part of the character but I don't need it brought up every other panel. They were able to tell X-Men stories for a very long time that avoided powering her up while at the same time acknowledging her connection.

Voted no because I would like to see Jean get some stories that don't involve the Phoenix. She is more than just the Phoenix in my opinion. She can have good stories without it.
    Since the Phoenix is being passed around to other characters lately it might be fun to see Jean have to face another character who is a Phoenix host as an ongoing enemy.