Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Searching for a long series to binge-read during the holidays

Hello everybody,

some of my best experiences reading comics have been the times i was able to devour whole runs trade after trade and to really immerge myself in the stories. My favorites have been for example Grant Morrissons Batman (Batman, Batman and Robin and Incorporated Vol.1) and Bendis Avengers (New Avengers, Dark Avengers, Avengers and the accompaning events).

Because winter is here and the holiday season is upon us i am searching for runs, that can be read the same way.

On the DC side i am thinking about*:

- Green Arrow by Kevin Smith, Brad Meltzer and Judd Winnick
    - JLA by Morrison (i always read just till Rock of Ages)
    - Green Lantern by Geoff Johns (i already have read the big stories like Blackest Night)
    - Sandman by Neil Gaimann
    - Swamp Thing by Moore
    - Seven Soldiers by GM

What would you choose or do you have any other recommendations? Runs you like to reread or things you always wanted to read? It would be awesome, if the series would be avaiable in big trades or digital.

*for Marvel i thought about:

- Captain America by Brukaber (i already read up until Civil War)
    - Avengers/ New Avengers by Hickmann
    - Thor by Jason Aaron from the Beginning
    - Punisher Max by Ennis
    - Guardians of the Galaxy by DnA
    - Uncanny Avengers by Remender (and perhaps Uncanny X-Force)
    - New X-Men by GM
    Last edited by Serd; 12-03-2017 at 09:51 AM.

I’m reading Sandman as well, but volume by volume, and I have loved it so far.

Also, if you’re interested in Wondy, I’d definitely recommend Wonder Woman by Greg Rucka book one.

Retired

Great for binge reading in TPB are Starman by James Robinson and Astro City by Kurt Busiek.

BANNED

Read Mike Grell's Green Arrow instead. I binged it after I was in recovery following a major surgery.

Anybody remember . . . Cerebus?

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

If you end up going through Moore's Swamp Thing or Gaiman's Sandman and you enjoy Constantine when he pops up in them, I'd also recommend classic Hellblazer. The original 300 issues are currently in the process of being reprinted, up to seventeen trades atm and with the eighteenth on the way at the end of January '18. Would probably keep you busy for a while if you choose to binge it.

The runs as it goes for trade order are:
    Jamie Delano (1-5)
    Garth Ennis (5-8)
    Paul Jenkins (9-12)
    Warren Ellis (13)
    Brian Azzarello (14 and 15)
    Mike Carey (16-18)

These numbers apply to the new printings. Aside from Jenkins, all of these have been collected before in older out of print trades, though the new editions make for the most optimal and convenient choice for reading.

Though there's three more Hellblazer writers after Carey, and I did enjoy some of it, I always found that the ending of Carey makes for the best ending to the series.
    Last edited by Hilden B. Lade; 12-03-2017 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Serd View Post
    Hello everybody,

some of my best experiences reading comics have been the times i was able to devour whole runs trade after trade and to really immerge myself in the stories. My favorites have been for example Grant Morrissons Batman (Batman, Batman and Robin and Incorporated Vol.1) and Bendis Avengers (New Avengers, Dark Avengers, Avengers and the accompaning events).

Because winter is here and the holiday season is upon us i am searching for runs, that can be read the same way.

- Green Lantern by Geoff Johns (i already have read the big stories like Blackest Night)
    - Swamp Thing by Moore
    - Seven Soldiers by GM

What would you choose or do you have any other recommendations? Runs you like to reread or things you always wanted to read? It would be awesome, if the series would be avaiable in big trades or digital.

- Punisher Max by Ennis
    - New X-Men by GM
    You can't really go wrong with any of these.

I'd recommend the Grell Green Arrow over the Smith volume, but I prefer the gritter takes on Arrow so I have a bias.

And whoever recommended Starman knows their stuff. That's one of the best things mainstream DC or Marvel ever put out.

As for other recommendations, if you're looking at the DnA Guardians, I think you should consider their Nova run as well. Simply excellent.

And while it's not from the Big 2, Robert Kirkman's Invincible is easily among the best superhero comics in the universe (it even says so on the covers). The book is about to end just shy of issue 150 so if you somehow got all caught up with it you'd be able to enjoy the ending and share your tears with the rest of us.

I'd also recommend Manhunter by Marc Andreynko (spelling?). Note this isn't the Martian Manhunter, but a new character from the mid 00's. The title was saved from cancellation two (three?) times by fans, so even though it went under the radar you can presume it was of high quality given that kind of reader loyalty.

If you want a challenge hunting down books, try to read the Grant Morrison Superman stuff. Morrison sort of builds his own continuity in his Superman work, which itself stretches across three different continuities. It's fun. You'd need his Action Comics volume 2 run, his JLA (already on your list), his DC 1 Million event (crossed several books but is collected as a whole I believe) Final Crisis/Superman Beyond (which was a tie-in to the Crisis) and his All-Star Superman maxiseries, which should be on any comic fan's Must-Read list anyway.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I will third the Starman recommendation. The Green Arrow picks you have are some of my favorites and I hope you enjoy those!
    I would also recommend Geoff Johns JSA trades.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Starman and Sandman for certain!

The thing about SSV is the bookends are funky Morrison and the seven interspaced four issue minus are of different syles. All good stuff, but it might or might not be what you're looking for. If it's a more homogeneous read, Starman and sandman are both excellent. I'd also advise Question by Denny O'Neil, or any block of the JLI by DeMatteis, Giffen, and Maguire.

Quote Originally Posted by Serd View Post
    Hello everybody,

- Swamp Thing by Moore
    - Seven Soldiers by GM

- Punisher Max by Ennis
    - New X-Men by GM
    I recommend the Mark Waid JLA run (begin with JLA HEAVENS LADDER) and the Joe Kelly JLA run. I also recommend Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon and the Warren Ellis. Also yummy and lengthy is the WW run from volume 2 by Greg Rucka. Random and sometimes well drawn would also be Superman/Batman 1 - 26

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Great idea! Something I haven't seen recced here yet is Gail Simone's first run on Birds of Prey - from 56-108. It's a really stunning run, with character development and thematic richness that isn't found very many other places. Only caveat is the art can be a bit inconsistent. But it's really, really enjoyable and well crafted.

The Rucka Wonder Woman run is also amazing (actually, both of them are - the first one from the mid-2000s, and the second one from Rebirth).

Andreyko's Manhunter is really delightful - but make sure you track down the last volume, which was published as backups in Streets of Gotham 1-13 but never collected in trade. Streets of Gotham is really fun anyway, so I'd recommend buying the individual issues both for themselves and the last volume of Manhunter.

Lastly, this is a new comic for me, but it's been out for a while - Ellis and Cassaday's Planetary. Really, really enjoyable, and if you're a Batman fan, the Batman/Planetary crossover is well worth it as well. (Didn't like the Justice League crossover, though.)
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Lastly, this is a new comic for me, but it's been out for a while - Ellis and Cassaday's Planetary. Really, really enjoyable, and if you're a Batman fan, the Batman/Planetary crossover is well worth it as well. (Didn't like the Justice League crossover, though.)
    How could I forget Planetary??? That's up there with the very best comics have to offer. Last I knew volume 4 was out of print and stupid expensive so unless it's been re-released you might have a hard time finding it. Actually, if it has been re-released could someone tell me? I need to finish my collection.

I'd also recommend Tom Strong and Promethea, both by Moore.

And Invincible. I mentioned it before. It needs to be mentioned again. Invincible. The most heart warming, heart-wrenching, humorous, honest, gory, terrifying superhero book there is.

Oh, also Preacher and Hitman, both by Garth Ennis, if you're into overly violent, purposefully disgusting comics that are smarter than most novels and say more in two issues than most comics say in sixty years. Not for the feint of heart or the easily offended.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    How could I forget Planetary??? That's up there with the very best comics have to offer. Last I knew volume 4 was out of print and stupid expensive so unless it's been re-released you might have a hard time finding it. Actually, if it has been re-released could someone tell me? I need to finish my collection.
    Planetary is being reissued in two trades that collect everything. The first one came out this summer, and the second one according to Amazon lands in March. There was also a fancy omnibus edition a few years back that is still in print.

The individual trades remain out of print though.

Hellblazer
    Hitman
    Justice League by Giffen/DeMatteis/Maguire
    Kirby's Fourth World
    Kirby's Kamandi
    The Spectre by Ostrander/Mandrake
    Suicide Squad by Ostrander/Yale/McDonnell/Isherwood
    BB