Page 8 of 55 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Okay, so having seen the scene for myself
    I'm not sure if Diana still has the "god attack" / "unleashed goddess" powers. I *think* they're going the route that it was some kind of temporary power-up (i.e. Diana absorbed Ares' godly energy projected attacks). It seemed pretty clear to me that Diana was at worst levitating and at best flying at the end of Wonder Woman. We haven't *seen* anything like that in any other film (although, how did Diana get to the island where she battled Doomsday - she just dropped out of the sky and how did Diana get from Paris to London to stop the terrorist attack or did she just happen to be in London for the weekend).

Of course, Patty Jenkins may well take the opposite approach in Wonder Woman II and have Diana soaring all over the place and unleashing goddess power blasts against foes. We'll have to wait and see in November 2019!

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    I personally disagree. Clark wasn't behaving like Doomsday. He wasn't rampaging. He wasn't unleashing his heat vision willy nilly. He wasn't throwing cars, girders, etc all around. He was just hovering - doing nothing threatening.

Clark was reacting to the perceived threat of Aquaman, Cyborg, Diana and The Flash. He also reacted emotionally when he saw Batman - I guess because his mind was still working through the emotions of DoJ and he apparently didn't remember many of the events AFTER his initial confrontation with Batman (i.e. he didn't seem to recognise Diana from their battle with Doomsday).

I personally think it was fine for Diana to still be assessing Clark's threat levels and for her to take more of a "wait and see" approach. Even when Clark had Batman by the throat, Diana watched and waited. Was her confidence in Clark not turning into a mindless killing machine misplaced - possibly. But, I guess she saw enough that she believed that he wasn't about to go on a murder spree or destruction rampage through Metropolis.
    Did you miss the part when he almost killed the police officer standing outside of her car? How could Diana be sure this wasn't about to turn into a Doomsday situation? Again I'm not saying I have a problem with him beating her. I have a problem with how they showed Diana. When she saw she couldnt reason, she should have gone into subdue Clark mode.
    Richard Alexander

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

I'm not sure if Diana still has the "god attack" / "unleashed goddess" powers. I *think* they're going the route that it was some kind of temporary power-up (i.e. Diana absorbed Ares' godly energy projected attacks). It seemed pretty clear to me that Diana was at worst levitating and at best flying at the end of Wonder Woman. We haven't *seen* anything like that in any other film (although, how did Diana get to the island where she battled Doomsday - she just dropped out of the sky and how did Diana get from Paris to London to stop the terrorist attack or did she just happen to be in London for the weekend).

Of course, Patty Jenkins may well take the opposite approach in Wonder Woman II and have Diana soaring all over the place and unleashing goddess power blasts against foes. We'll have to wait and see in November 2019!
    We've seen Diana block attacks with her bracelets. We've seen her bang the bracelets together and create a shockwave that drives people back. We've also seen her absorb an incoming attack and send it back to a target.

Since Superman didn't shoot heat vision at her, I'm thinking she was trying to opt for the shockwave attack in order to knock him back. The attack reflection appears to be the only lethal attack, and there was nothing to suggest that's what she was going for.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by richalex View Post
    Did you miss the part when he almost killed the police officer standing outside of her car? How could Diana be sure this wasn't about to turn into a Doomsday situation? Again I'm not saying I have a problem with him beating her. I have a problem with how they showed Diana. When she saw she couldnt reason, she should have gone into subdue Clark mode.
    Because she knows who the real Superman is. She saw it in action when he died to protect his city. That's how she knows this isn't a Doomsday situation. He's NOT a mindless beast. He's a confused man who just got resurrected and is not all there in the marbles department and she's trying to get him back to himself.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

And again: Diana tries to subdue Clark, despite having seen that he reacts violently toward being attacked? What happens next is Superman fights back against her efforts to subdue him. In a matter of seconds, you have two gods throwing down with each other in the middle of a major city. Then you DO have a Doomsday situation going on.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Because she knows who the real Superman is. She saw it in action when he died to protect his city. That's how she knows this isn't a Doomsday situation. He's NOT a mindless beast. He's a confused man who just got resurrected and is not all there in the marbles department and she's trying to get him back to himself.
    Almost. Killed. Police.officer. If that didn't snap him out of his confusion/trance, how does she know this wasn't about to get worse? Imagine if it did and then Clark finally snaps out of it at the loss of life that could have been prevented by Diana because she didn't act smarter? Imagine what that would have done to Clark. Like he says to batman, you want me dead, you want me alive, I'm paraphrasing. The fight makes Diana look stupid. And poor Arthur....
    Richard Alexander

Incredible Member

Honestly, I can't remember where in the sequence of events that happens or how ... serious it was depicted as being. Is it when Clark throws Batman at the police car?

So, I'll defer to your recollection of the scene. I can only guess that, my interpretation of the scene as depicted, still didn't show Clark as being enraged / out of control.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    We've seen Diana block attacks with her bracelets. We've seen her bang the bracelets together and create a shockwave that drives people back. We've also seen her absorb an incoming attack and send it back to a target.

Since Superman didn't shoot heat vision at her, I'm thinking she was trying to opt for the shockwave attack in order to knock him back. The attack reflection appears to be the only lethal attack, and there was nothing to suggest that's what she was going for.
    I think we might have been talking about different things. I'm thinking more of her completely unleashed lightning powers from the end of her solo film.

Yes, she unleashes a lightning blast in the tunnels during their first confrontation with SW by bashing her bracelet against her shield, but (for me) that's a little different to her effortlessly creating and projecting huge streams (strikes?) of lightning from her bracelets / hands which she did in Wonder Woman.

Still, in most instances, there are possible explanations. For example, there were civilians in the tunnels and Diana may not have known whether they had safely evacuated so she wouldn't risk unleashing her full powers. Similarly in the final battle, she could have been concerned about inadvertently hurting one of her team members or her godly energies interfering with the Mother Boxes.

I don't think we'll ever really know. Everyone's powers are always going to be depicted inconsistently. It's just the way it is. The Flash is horribly inconsistent with his abilities on his TV series to serve the needs of the plot. Supergirl has a similar problem, although it's not as severe unless she's crossing over with the other TV series. The characters of Martian Manhunter, Firestorm and Ragman are rarely used to their full potential because they're TOO powerful and take away from the (lesser) abilities of the other heroes.

Marvel has the same problem. In Civil War, the only battle was really between Scarlett Witch and Vision and Scarlett Witch should have been able to easily incapacitate Vision (as we eventually saw). And the X-Men films have always treated Jean Grey and Storm terribly, even though they are awesomely and incredibly powerful in the comic books.

You know what I also would have liked? When Vic is about to shoot Clark, Diana jumps in front of him and deflects the blast. That could have prevented the fight, instead of all of them just standing there looking at Vic, agaist his control, turn his arm into a gun and shoot Clark. Yes, i know it's a movie, yes I know they have story beats they need to get to, but again, don't have them act stupid.
    Richard Alexander

Honestly, I can't remember where in the sequence of events that happens or how ... serious it was depicted as being. Is it when Clark throws Batman at the police car?

So, I'll defer to your recollection of the scene. I can only guess that, my interpretation of the scene as depicted, still didn't show Clark as being enraged / out of control.
    He's shooting Vic, and knocks him away, and instead of shutting his heat vision down, it blasts the car behind Vic and almost takes out the Cop.
    Richard Alexander

Mighty Member

The scene wasn't so bad with the context but it's clear not only is superman stronger than her here that this will be used by fans to prove he's the strongest of the team

Incredible Member

You know what I also would have liked? When Vic is about to shoot Clark, Diana jumps in front of him and deflects the blast. That could have prevented the fight, instead of all of them just standing there looking at Vic, agaist his control, turn his arm into a gun and shoot Clark. Yes, i know it's a movie, yes I know they have story beats they need to get to, but again, don't have them act stupid.
    I agree. I actually expected that to happen as the scene was unfolding (forgetting that it was a comic book movie and therefore IF they have an opportunity to make the heroes fight one another, then obviously they're going to take it).

I guess a possible explanation is that Diana didn't want to erode Cyborg's abilities in himself (since she was his mentor on the team) and she believed that he would be able to control himself? Still, given her super-speed, she should have been able to jump in front of Superman once she realised that Cyborg had lost control.

Incredible Member

He's shooting Vic, and knocks him away, and instead of shutting his heat vision down, it blasts the car behind Vic and almost takes out the Cop.
    Fair enough. I'll have to pay more attention when I see it again.

I also wish they showed while Clark is turning to react to Barry, we at least saw Diana maybe a little slower doing the same. But I mean, I get it...whatever....lol
    Richard Alexander

BANNED

I watched the video and I completely understand and agree with people who are upset. When you have been waiting over 20 (30 and even 40) years for a movie to be released, and to watch your star shine, instead of backed over by a rubbish truck, then it is clearly understandable why actual fans would be upset at an incorrect portrayal. In my opinion, a fan of this character would find it clearly impossible to compromise with a weak portrayal especially after decades of overt sexism and objectification which have prevented the character from evolving and developing as her male counterparts.

Lets see: she can't fly even after flying after 30+ years to the current day in the comics; she is not as fast as Mercury (because if she were, her speed would have matched Superman's speed to allow her to complete her bracers attack); she is obviously not stronger than Hercules, or has the strength of the earth as per the post-crisis explanation for her powers, or has the strength of a god (according to the DCEU version of her powers), to allow her to combat Superman on equal (let alone near equal) terms. She was rendered powerless in that scene (when Diana was grabbed by Clark) which is pathetic.

Her other abilities have never been displayed in the DCEU and people are correct when they compare her to Xena. Being second strongest in a group such as Aquaman, Batman, and Cyborg does not mean squat in the end, especially when she has been shown to be ineffectual against both Superman and Steppenwolf. In the comics, Diana has defeteated new gods before, and is even revered as a powerful warrior on Apokolips by Darkseid, Granny Goodness, and Desaad (this is as far back as the early 90s, as I used to have the comics); so no the EXCUSE that Steppenwolf was a New God doesn't work with me. I remember when Desaad and Darkseid analyzed her body and found that she was neck to neck in strength and raw power as Kal-El. It is factually inaccurate to claim that because Steppenwolf is a new god, by default, he is allowed to trample all over her. If folks want to compromise with her being weak, fine, but come up with better excuses than that. I as a fan could never compromise with Diana being portrayed as less than what she is supposed to be.

Diana could have easily held back and restrained Superman at the same time - this was not portrayed in the video. She was not even fast enough to counter-attack Superman, which in the sacrifice fight 12 years ago, she was.

The sacrifice fight actually made use of all her powers (including unity with beasts); her movie, including all of her portrayals in the DCEU thus far, hasn't.

Actually her portrayal in these scenes seem to go hand in hand with the portrayal of Wonder Woman in Joss Whedon's failed and rejected Wonder Woman movie proposal eleven and a half years ago. Makes me wonder if this was Zack Snyder's continued vision for the character.

However, Diana seems to have been utterly disrespected by this film because she is a comic character first and foremost (before she is even a paragon of virtue and compassion) and her full power and strength were not utilized to enable a male character to appear more strong. I wasn't impressed, and the people at Warner Bros are idiots because whatever they were trying to accomplish didn't work (given the recent reviews of the film).

What worked? A kick-ass and powerful Diana in BvS. What worked? A compassionate yet powerful goddess in her own movie.

Shame on you DC.
    Last edited by dianafan1985; 11-15-2017 at 06:14 PM.