Spectacular Member

Default Batman: I Am Suicide Review And Story Recap

After reading I Am Gotham and Night Of The Monster Men, I didnt really see the fuss with King, he seemed kind of Snyder-lite. After hearing really good things about I am suicide, I decided to pick it up.

Here's my review of the work.

Do you agree? Let me know your thoughts on the book.

Batman: I Am Suicide Review
    Check Out My Batman Canon Read Through And Review Here, From Year One all the way to Rebirth

Batman Canon Read Through And Review

I'm Also On Patreon. This all goes towards buying new graphic novels so if you like my reviews please pledge whatever you can. Thank you.

Deffinition Patreon

What !? 9/10 for this story ??? I honestly prefered I am Gotham and Night of the Monster Men.

Starts of with a poor remake of Vengeance of Bane. Much less intense and I didn't feel the really sadness of Bane's childhood.

Bronze Tiger, Punch and Judy, really ? Those three ??

In I am Gotham there was so much improbable situations and events that were solved too easily. Such as Batman getting out of the pit too easily, and why did they leave him with all his gadgets ? The Ventriloquist without Scareface ?? Bane believing he convinced Catwoman this easily !? Also to have planed such a thing with such timing and precision is improbable. And how easily was Bane taken out is non-sense ! All this is unbelievable and ruins it all.

How is that his best work ? It's poor scenario writting. He is a bit like Snyder in way with good ideas but poor executions.

I will conceide that there is action. A bit of suspence because we really wonder why this team, we wonder what Batman's plan is in Santa Prisca, and what each one's role is.

I did enjoy the art more than Capullo's. I will also say, Tom King is slightly better writter than Scott Snyder.

To me it would be more a 5 or 6/10 and I'm being generous.

Incredible Member

9/10? I’d give it a 5/10at he most and I feel like that’s overly generous. King had Batman’s back broken again and he some how reset it in a pit and after taking a beating from Bane just knocks him out with a head butted when he decides the time is right. Add to that the painful emotional shit thrown in and this storyline, like all of King’s Storylines, sucks.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I'm fine with what King does and prefer it to his previous arcs but the Batbreaking and the epilogue with Holly ruin this for me.

Spectacular Member

damn thought people wouldve loved it, it really sucked me in, it's rare to see Batman go to someones base and launching an attack instead of being on the defensive in Gotham. Janin's art gets incredible by the end and it honestly blew me away flicking through the pages in those last 2 issues, I also loved the call back to Bane's childhood, especially with Bruce being thrown in the well.

But....Guess I was wrong on this one hahaa, thanks for checking out the review anyway guys
    Check Out My Batman Canon Read Through And Review Here, From Year One all the way to Rebirth

I'm Also On Patreon. This all goes towards buying new graphic novels so if you like my reviews please pledge whatever you can. Thank you.

Deffinition Patreon

Even though I agree with everybody else, and furthermore think that King's batman run has been pretty weak for my taste, you are not wrong because it is your opinion.

Congratulations for your review.

Spectacular Member

hahahah I suppose there is that to take from it, hey everyone give it a re-read, it's only 5 issues (rebirth issues which are like 15 pages long) and if you dont like the story the art is worth going back for

Deffinition Patreon

King's run is very divisive. I and many others love it, but many others hate it. I am Suicide had some of my favorite moments from King's run, like the letter issue, but is probably still my least favorite as a whole. I think that more than anything, it serves to enhance I Am Bane and the rest of King's run by establishing the character's motivations. I'd probably give it a 7 by itself or an 8 in the context of the run.
    Last edited by Pohzee; 11-16-2017 at 05:10 AM.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

It was with I Am Suicide that I became a fan of King’s Batman. Issue #12 must be one of my favorites of his whole run. I wouldn’t give it a 9, more like a 8 or 8.5, but it’s nice to see another one who got so much joy from this story ... or maybe “joy” isn’t the correct word, since it’s such a depressive arc hahaha
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Same here. I was disappointed with I am gotham and niht of the monster men but I loved I am suicide and everything after that. I have a soft spot for this kind of story where the hero seems overwhelmed but he actually has a plan to overcome the big bad right under his nose. I loved how King wrote punch and Judy. I would like to see more of them.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
    Same here. I was disappointed with I am gotham and niht of the monster men but I loved I am suicide and everything after that. I have a soft spot for this kind of story where the hero seems overwhelmed but he actually has a plan to overcome the big bad right under his nose. I loved how King wrote punch and Judy. I would like to see more of them.
    I like that Punch and Judy were in Ostrander's SS originally and that made Harley & Joker in SS movie ok for me. Also get some pants Naked Bat!