Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What’s your preferred format to read?

I have one Omnibus, GL by Johns and the binding fell apart immediately. I prefer the Epic Collection size. What do you prefer and why?

I have three fav formats. I love masterworks. Love the sizing and the build quality

DC absolutes and then Dark Horse Library Sized. They are both beautiful formats and I tend get slimmer books, so easier to handle.

I prefer reading trade paperbacks. I like the feeling in my hands and they are usually not so heavy. Additionally they look great next to each other on the shelf because of the same height. But of course, I also own many standard size hardcovers and deluxe editions.

I like an omnibus, but sometimes they can be a little too bulky. I actually have the three John's GL omnibus', but I'm yet to get round to reading them, but I had heard about binding issues.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    I like an omnibus, but sometimes they can be a little too bulky. I actually have the three John's GL omnibus', but I'm yet to get round to reading them, but I had heard about binding issues.
    I only have vol I. Pure garbage binding. Hopefully they fixed the problem.

If storage wasn't a problem i would like individual issues. Since that will never be an option I prefer the masterworks. preferably the smaller ones.

Digital all the way.

Just get it all a good quality well sized screen so page view is effectively as good as a printed page, then a load of advantages kick in:-

Frame by frame advance as alternative to page view
    Storage problems disappear
    Zoom in/ out to look at certain parts of image in detail
    Frequent comixology sales
    Read as often as you want without damaging "comic"
    Portability to read material on holiday, etc

Incredible Member

I prefer a large Deluxe style book or a small omnibus as I prefer oversized art although a trade paperback is a nice change sometimes.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Standard softcovers and hardcovers, omnibus, and my custom binds. Never digital.

Deluxe & Absolute I buy a lot less, many cases only when kinda forced to (like with Batman Inc, the only way to get the finalized cut is the Absolute right now)
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 11-16-2017 at 08:30 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Fantastic Member

for myself, I get absolutely zero enjoyment from digital. It does nothing for me. a big part of my enjoyment comes from holding the artifact in my hands and from the "thrill of the chase" in terms of finding good deals on books I want to add to my shelf. It isn't just about the reading at all for me.

But as far as the physical act of reading goes, I don't really have a format preference. I can make it all work fine - I adjust my technique to the format. If I want to read something while I'm laying in bed it'll be an Epic most likely. But I love the larger formats too and if I want to read a big book it will be on the couch with it in my lap or on a table.

I don't enjoy digital as much with comics or books. I've actually been looking at custom binding for some of my comics that were never collected, and I'm excited for that!
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Incredible Member

Like a lot of people, I spend a lot of my time in front of a computer because of work and I have an ipad which I use a lot at home. Picking up a physical book whether that is an omnibus or a paperback novel is a nice break from staring at a screen. I can see the benefits of digital though. For me, I could see using digital to read stuff I kind of want to check out but don't really feel like I need to own a copy on a shelf. I think its great all the formats that exist for people for whatever serves their needs. If there is an omnibus I want that is out of print and trades aren't readily available and I just want to read the material, digital would be a nice option.

Definitely, also specific books like Son of Dathomir are tough to get as a physical copy.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Digital all the way.

Just get it all a good quality well sized screen so page view is effectively as good as a printed page, then a load of advantages kick in:-

Frame by frame advance as alternative to page view
    Storage problems disappear
    Zoom in/ out to look at certain parts of image in detail
    Frequent comixology sales
    Read as often as you want without damaging "comic"
    Portability to read material on holiday, etc
    100% agree. 13-inch iPad and I’m good to go.

Astonishing Member

Single issues and TPB format.
    Bulkier formats as Omnibus or Absolutes i dont now,i have still not bought any Omnibus yet.
    Going to buy one or two Omnibus in the future,but dunno if it will be my favorite format.