Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Resolving The O5 X-men Discussion

I thought I'd start a new thread on this issue since it seems to come up in bits and pieces every now and then. As it stands, the O5 X-men have been in the future for nearly five years worth of comics. They arrived in 2012 under Bendis and have undergone a lot of changes, shake-ups, and what not in the process. Their original reason for coming was based on adult Cyclops killing Xavier and Jean being dead. Well, Charles Xavier is coming back. Jean Grey is coming back. At some point, adult Cyclops will come back as well. Even before that, though, I think it's safe to say that the O5's original premise for coming to the future is somewhat obsolete. So I think it's worth discussing how their presence will eventually be resolved.

I start this thread with the full knowledge that Cullen Bunn recently said that the upcoming "Cross Time Capers" arc in X-men Blue will directly address that issue, to some extent. I imagine it'll generate plenty of other discussions, moving forward. But we do know that the O5 are sticking around after Jean Grey returns. They'll likely be around once Xavier returns in Astonishing as well. So what's the ultimate endgame here? What will Marvel do to bridge the gap between the O5 and their adult selves?

Personally, I believe that at some point, the O5 X-men are going to either merge or "become" their older selves. I put "become" quotes because there may be some sort of time travel or magic retcon involved in that process. The entire premise of the O5 coming to the future in the first place was to explore the early X-men, minus all the baggage they've accumulated over the past 50 years. Well, perhaps this is how Marvel streamlines these characters, mitigating the baggage while making their actions in the future count.

For Iceman, that means becoming more comfortable with his sexuality, which his adult self is still struggling with.

For Angel, that means taking on a form that isn't always at the mercy of Archangel.

For Beast, that means either remaining less "beast-like" or giving his older self some much-needed cleansing from all his misguided sentiments.

For Jean, that means her older self can learn the lessons of her younger self, thereby helping her avoid the mistakes that got her killed twice.

For Cyclops, and this is probably most pressing, it means becoming an adult Cyclops that lacks the baggage, bad decisions, and burdens that his older self accumulated.

It seems like the cleanest possible outcome, which is why I doubt Marvel will go this route. But I think the goal is to make the O5's presence in the future count for something that impacts the entire timeline. That's just my theory though. I'm sure many others on this board have theories and sentiments of their own on this issue. This is the place to share and discuss.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

The adult 05 have more then earned their place, I would not want to see them be overridden forever by their younger counterparts.

BANNED

They must return in their time. Fight with a very strong enemy and lose the acquired experience, strength and knowledge. The circle is closed. Everything ended well and everything fell into place.

I don't think "Struggling" is the right word to describe how real Iceman is doing right now.

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

keep- Teen Beast(kill off AvX,Inhuman,Schism 616 Beast),Cosmic Angel, Scott (unless we get the real Scott)

dump- Teen Jean (if we keep the real one),teen iceman

Fantastic Member

Do it the old way, let Chuck brainwash them like he did numerous time.
    Dreaded, run from it, Bendis still arrives to ruin your canon.

BANNED

just say they're all War Skrulls and be done with it

Didn't they already resolve this plot by setting fire to it, and saying they were alternate reality versions the whole time?
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

I would be happy with the O5 getting merged with their older counterparts, but don't retcon anything on the older versions history.

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    Didn't they already resolve this plot by setting fire to it, and saying they were alternate reality versions the whole time?
    Not really. That's just how people interpreted the scene... They traveled back to the past, there was still/already a team of X-Men there, and they were all "WTF?". That was all.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I would be happy with the O5 getting merged with their older counterparts, but don't retcon anything on the older versions history.

Not really. That's just how people interpreted the scene... They traveled back to the past, there was still/already a team of X-Men there, and they were all "WTF?". That was all.
    Considering how Beast has been messing with Magic and temporal forces....it might not have been THEIR past.

just kill them. Especially for self hater tyke long agonizing death
    Rant
    Jean really is the worst character in Marvel, isn't she?
    Scemma forever Triangle never.
    Scott needs an alpha female like Bettsy.
    What woman wouldn't be attracted to Scott? He's 100% alpha male who tells the Avengers to go f*#& themselves.
    I want cyclops back free from any ginger women to be his own man.
    Logically..
    TeenClops should have lusted for Emma & Cuckoos. Especially Stepford Cuckoos! They're teenage triplet clones of his hottest ex, how could he not be?
    End of rant

Extraordinary Member

I don't know how they resolve it without some Siege Perilous device to reset things, maybe a Fall of the Mutants II event to create the reason.

Or just turn them into a new Exiles team and send them off bouncing around the New Multiverse to explore all the worlds the Richards family has created.

I have this sinking feeling that the 616 timeline will be destroy, what they did to cap is why i began thinking more like this. after the the cross over with blue and gold what happen at the end is moving fast.

Incredible Member

I'm thinking they're going to go back and rewrite history. This will barely affect other groups (does no AvX affect the Avengers?) but all the xmen will be new and different. I'm hoping this is why the current writers are so lackluster, because they know the wave is coming.

at this point, i want them killed. with the exception of beast, i hate them all. just terrible shells of greater characters. whatever happens, they just need to leave