Page 424 of 581 FirstFirst ... 324374414420421422423424425426427428434474524 ... LastLast
Results 6,346 to 6,360 of 8701
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    My question is would they ever gender swap the other direction, or will it only ever be male to female?

Imagine Roman (Romana), The Raja (The Rani), John (Jenny) Rio (River (resurrected and given more regenerations I suppose)).

They said outright this happened with the Corsair, but we never saw him/her on screen. I kinda want Big Finish to tackle that (Big Finish is basically our last hope these days).
    Romana was able to choose what she looked like.

As did the 2nd Doctor before becoming the 3rd one.

Literally every regeneration is a soft reboot.
    Matt Smith was the reboot when he got 12 new regenerations.

A hard reboot is going to do WHAT? NOTHING.

Just have her regenerate into Ian Chesterton's son-Alfred Enoch. Yes that is Alfred's real life Dad (the actor who played him is).

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Romana was able to choose what she looked like.
    ..ok?

As did the 2nd Doctor before becoming the 3rd one.
    He was given the option before it was taken away and they chose for him, sure.

I'm not sure what either had to do with my original question so I'll try again: will it ever go the other direction or will it only ever be male to female regenerations from here on out? Not options, actually on-screen regenerations.

Though if its true they got the guy from Tenet to be the 14th Doctor...there's my answer I guess.

River works as a unisex name.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    River works as a unisex name.
    I'm an 80's kid, so when I think of Rio, I think of, well...

...but you are right of course, and it was outrageous of me to not remember that.

Truly, truly, truly outrageous.

I got started with the revival era so Gallifrey was always a cool tease. I loved that Big Finish gave 8 some new time lord villians to fight in the Doom Coalition series. Chibnall could've done that. Having 13 protecting the Timeless Child from Time Lord Society would've been so epic.

Someone rewrote the Master as the Timeless Child and it works for me. It's a good way to justify the Master backsliding into villiany. Other options include having Dhawan be a previous incarnation. People are fond of him being between Simms and Gomez and I could see it.

I could see see Series 9 Missy pulling the same stunt as Dhawan. Her whole thing was to get the Doctor back as a friend, even if it means turning him evil.

Another option is to have the Time Lords force the Master to be good via regeneration. It's a clockwork orange style approach and builds off the fact that regeneration can change personality. It's an interesting ethical experiment for the Doctor to tackle and helps bring back the alien-ness of the Time Lords.

Big Finish could tackle it down the road. They usually can't use the more recent material from the show because of the licensing etc. Also actor availability is an issue. They can use 11 and 12 but they have to use impression actors etc. Jacob Dudman has done 10/11/12 and Nick Briggs has tried to do 9.

So maybe in a few years they'll get to resolve it. Sacha Dhawan actually has worked with Big Finish before so he's likely to come back. I look forward to purchasing his spinoff boxset in a few years.

The comics could tackle it too.

We've seen with "Night of the Doctor" that at least with the Eighth Doctor's regeneration, he was able to choose to become a "warrior", although what we saw of the War Doctor in "Day" was a man who was tired of fighting.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

..ok?

He was given the option before it was taken away and they chose for him, sure.

I'm not sure what either had to do with my original question so I'll try again: will it ever go the other direction or will it only ever be male to female regenerations from here on out? Not options, actually on-screen regenerations.

Though if its true they got the guy from Tenet to be the 14th Doctor...there's my answer I guess.

The Romana regeneration still is kind of weird, even with the rules of regeneration a bit bent over the past decade and a half. There's a bit of a debate that Time Lords can change into another species; Romana does at one point turn into a person with blue skin, but wearing a ROBOTS OF DEATH costume, but the characters in that story were kind of fond of face paint anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    The Romana regeneration still is kind of weird, even with the rules of regeneration a bit bent over the past decade and a half. There's a bit of a debate that Time Lords can change into another species; Romana does at one point turn into a person with blue skin, but wearing a ROBOTS OF DEATH costume, but the characters in that story were kind of fond of face paint anyway...
    That reminds me, what's the current consensus regarding The Woman in The End of Time? I assumed The Woman and The Man who were hiding their faces (in shame?) standing behind Rassilon were Romana and Narvin. Though Narvin is a more recent creation so that may not work. But I don't see why The Woman couldn't be Romana. Not sure why NuWho don't want to use Romana in any incarnation (I think the original idea was The Woman was the Doctor's mother?).

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

It’s either his mother or Susan since Ten looks at both Sylvia and Donna when Wilf asks who she was.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    It’s either his mother or Susan since Ten looks at both Sylvia and Donna when Wilf asks who she was.
    I like her being his mom. Some people started seeing her as Tectuoin(?) The scientist from the Timeless child.

I don't mind her being Susan, it's just a waste. I would've preferred the Ruth Doctor as Susan in a later incarnation.

I like her being his mom. Some people started seeing her as Tectuoin(?) The scientist from the Timeless child.
    Me too. It just fits better that way I think. Feels right, too.
    I don't mind her being Susan, it's just a waste. I would've preferred the Ruth Doctor as Susan in a later incarnation.
    I never thought of that one. I actually like that, too.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 01-22-2021 at 03:36 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

That reminds me, what's the current consensus regarding The Woman in The End of Time? I assumed The Woman and The Man who were hiding their faces (in shame?) standing behind Rassilon were Romana and Narvin. Though Narvin is a more recent creation so that may not work. But I don't see why The Woman couldn't be Romana. Not sure why NuWho don't want to use Romana in any incarnation (I think the original idea was The Woman was the Doctor's mother?).
    I think Lalla Ward did a short audio recording for one of the exhibits or something like that during the Capladi era. RTD, in writing, I think also mentioned that she had a temporary truce with the Daleks to allow the Doctor to pick up the Master's remains in the TV movie and that was one of the events leading to the Time war. (as well as A Dalek/Gallifrey confrontation in the Colin Baker audios).

Or they could just ignore it and stick with the TV stuff which I think still would mean she's in E-space.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 01-22-2021 at 01:54 PM.

We've seen with "Night of the Doctor" that at least with the Eighth Doctor's regeneration, he was able to choose to become a "warrior", although what we saw of the War Doctor in "Day" was a man who was tired of fighting.
    I know.

I'm just saying having the Time Lords use regeneration as a form of punishment could be interesting.

That's sort of what happened in the War Games, although it's interesting in the dialogue the Time Lords don't bring it up until the Doctor says being recognized on Earth would be awkward.

Astonishing Member

I think Lalla Ward did a short audio recording for one of the exhibits or something like that during the Capladi era. RTD, in writing, I think also mentioned that she had a temporary truce with the Daleks to allow the Doctor to pick up the Master's remains in the TV movie and that was one of the events leading to the Time war. (as well as A Dalek/Gallifrey confrontation in the Colin Baker audios).
    When you think about it, The Time War really started when The Doctor first crossed paths with them. Not only did they become aware of humans in The Daleks, but they also became aware of time travel. Then it evolves into endless tit-for-tat between The Time Lords and The Daleks escalated at points by the Doctor continually thwarting their plans, the Master double crossing them and the attempted assassination of Davros and stopping the Daleks creation.

That's why I think it would be cool to reveal that the Time Lords knew of the Time War. Hence why they prevented Gallifreyans leaving Gallifrey and were pissed when the Doctor did it.

[QUOTE=BeastieRunner;5340846][QUOTE=the illustrious mr. kenway;5340812]I like her being his mom. Some people started seeing her as Tectuoin(?) The scientist from the Timeless child.
    Me too. It just fits better that way I think. Feels right, too.

I never thought of that one. I actually like that, too.
    As do I.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."