Page 326 of 581 FirstFirst ... 226276316322323324325326327328329330336376426 ... LastLast
Results 4,876 to 4,890 of 8707
    BANNED

Title and Synopsis For Episode Three, "Rosa"

The Doctor takes her companions on their first journey back in time - to the dangerous, racially segregated world of Alabama in the 1950s. They encounter one of the era's heroes, black civil rights campaigner Rosa Parks, but also discover a plot to change the course of history. Vinette Robinson (Sherlock, The A Word) guest stars in an episode by acclaimed children's author Malorie Blackman.
    https://www.radiotimes.com/tv-progra...--s11-e3-rosa/

BANNED

Well then, looks like we won't have to wait long before the fireworks start. This civil rights episode, more than any other, has the potential to instigate a massive backlash. I'm not just taking about the usual suspects on the right either. There is a tendency among American activists to react badly whenever British media attempts address the issue of race relations in American. The BBC is hoping to score big with progressive audiences but they might just get accused of tone-deaf racism instead, that's politics for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    Well then, looks like we won't have to wait long before the fireworks start. This civil rights episode, more than any other, has the potential to instigate a massive backlash. I'm not just taking about the usual suspects on the right either. There is a tendency among American activists to react badly whenever British media attempts address the issue of race relations in American. The BBC is hoping to score big with progressive audiences but they might just get accused of tone-deaf racism instead, that's politics for you.
    I already seen some people take issue if they try to insinuate in anyway the Doctor had any part in helping to start the American Civil Rights Movement.

Retired

It does give me a psychic groan, using Rosa Parks in this way. It's the most obvous person. If they were going to use some other bit of civil rights history that not many people know about, I'd be more impressed.

TIMELESS was much more clever in choosing historical elements that are less well-known. It's like the Doctor always goes for the headline stories from the past.

And yeah, Brits are tone-deaf when it comes to understanding the nuances of the American experience.

The way the episode can work is doing two parallel stories one is the Doctor and the Companions stopping whoever is trying to change history. The other story is the actual events of history with the Doctor and crew not involved at all and you connected the two with a nice little scene at the end where the Doctor and the Companions meet Rosa Parks and say hi or something and leave they can't give her advice or nothing just a nice to meet you and leave than this can work.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Welcome to the club!
    Thanks!

10 char

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    The way the episode can work is doing two parallel stories one is the Doctor and the Companions stopping whoever is trying to change history. The other story is the actual events of history with the Doctor and crew not involved at all and you connected the two with a nice little scene at the end where the Doctor and the Companions meet Rosa Parks and say hi or something and leave they can't give her advice or nothing just a nice to meet you and leave than this can work.
    Oooh, mixing elements of both of those ideas together would make DS9's Trials and Tribblations. That was fun.

Incredible Member

Humans being exposed to the vacuum of space and not dying within half a second is something I find annoying in shows, breaks immersion. Other than that, really liked the premiere. Liked the design of the villain, Scrimshaw. Whitaker was excellent in the role. The outfit doesn't work. The jackets fine, the rest of it clashes horribly and would be better with more muted colors for the shirt and suspenders. They built the new supporting cast well through the episode, looking forward to them continuing on in the show. The marketing leading up to the show over-focusing on gender is something I found distasteful, hopefully the marketing team can move past that towards it just being a reinvigorated, popular, beloved franchise.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Conch22 View Post
    Humans being exposed to the vacuum of space and not dying within half a second is something I find annoying in shows, breaks immersion.
    On the other hand, human beings exposed to the vacuum of space in actual real life reality aren't having a good time, but it's not an instant death at all. You get some time to take in the view before your eyeballs freeze.

Retired

I could buy into her clothing ensemble if it was just something that got thrown together, because she found the clothes or borrowed them off of somebody else. It's hard to believe she went to a store with her friends, went through all the clothes in the store and came up with that. And they didn't even show us her picking out those clothes in some kind of montage sequence. Maybe they wanted to avoid that, because it would be too girly--but that's something we usually get to see with every Doctor, putting together the outift. They gave us a manly montage for making the sonic--something we never get to see--but they left out the fashion montage. And I like it better when the Doctor ends up with the clothes by happenstance, rather than by conscious choice. And preferably doesn't even pay for the clothes.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Honestly I'm surprised the show hasn't had more American historical figures in the past really, so having someone like Rosa Parks is interesting.

Big Finish have confirmed that River Song is getting two more series boxsets, Series 6 in August 2019 and Series 7 in January 2020. Since River has now met all the surviving classic Doctors (though I would totally love it if she got to make David Bradley's First Doctor super awkward) and will be battling four incarnations of the Master early next year, Series 6 will instead do something a little different and very her - having River getting secretly involved in some of the Doctor's most famous adventures. The first of these will see her meet Henry Gordon Jago and battle Magnus Greel prior to the events of The Talons of Weng-Chiang!

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/riv...series-6-and-7

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I could buy into her clothing ensemble if it was just something that got thrown together, because she found the clothes or borrowed them off of somebody else. It's hard to believe she went to a store with her friends, went through all the clothes in the store and came up with that.
    They're at a charity shop, not H&M.

And I like it better when the Doctor ends up with the clothes by happenstance, rather than by conscious choice. And preferably doesn't even pay for the clothes.
    Welp, she didn't pay for the clothes.
    And most Doctors have not come by their outfit by happenstance.
    Even 11 didn't stick for very long with what he stole from the hospital.
    Last edited by Carabas; 10-12-2018 at 08:22 AM.

I rather they hold back on Rosa Parks and something a bit more fun. But sometimes delayed gratification doesn't always help so its best to do it sooner than later.

Im hoping down the road Chibnall does something more with Gallifrey.

He seemed to sort of be on iffy ground with them again after season 9, stealing another TARDIS for instance and the whole thing with Clara.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    He seemed to sort of be on iffy ground with them again after season 9, stealing another TARDIS for instance and the whole thing with Clara.
    If you count the DWM comic strip as canon, he's patched things up with them