Page 449 of 581 FirstFirst ... 349399439445446447448449450451452453459499549 ... LastLast
Results 6,721 to 6,735 of 8704
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    https://www.cbr.com/doctor-who-season-13-trailer/

New trailer. Mostly just the Doctor and co., no sign of that many monsters, returning or not.
    Nothing in this trailer is compelling me to watch. After so long without new footage they really needed to drop something that had substance/hit with a bang. This didn't do it. Just people going, "wow!" And screaming.

Oh look, a poor man's Killmonger too.

Apparentally all eight episodes are meant to be a single story. Makes me wonder though-something like pretty much RTD and Moffat season, where there was sort of a developing storyline but didn't necessarily overwhelm the whole thing (Bad Wolf, Torchwood,Saxon, Rose' return/something on your back/stars going out, Pandorica, Doctor dies/River Song, Trenzalore, Missy, Hybrid etc.) Something like the Key To Time or Trial of A Time Lord, in which the stories had a common theme but mostly stuck to the WHO format etc. Mini-arcs like the Ark in space saga/Master trilogy/Black Guardian or a full blown super-serial like The Dalek Masterplan...
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Kind of a lack luster trailer...and no date either.

Astonishing Member

Apparentally all eight episodes are meant to be a single story. Makes me wonder though-something like pretty much RTD and Moffat season, where there was sort of a developing storyline but didn't necessarily overwhelm the whole thing (Bad Wolf, Torchwood,Saxon, Rose' return/something on your back/stars going out, Pandorica, Doctor dies/River Song, Trenzalore, Missy, Hybrid etc.) Something like the Key To Time or Trial of A Time Lord, in which the stories had a common theme but mostly stuck to the WHO format etc. Mini-arcs like the Ark in space saga/Master trilogy/Black Guardian or a full blown super-serial like The Dalek Masterplan...
    And that is partly where it is going wrong. RTD made series where you could jump in and enjoy the odd episode, but also structured it so that longtime viewers were rewarded come the end of the season. Every little hint or threads was also explained for those who didn't watch week to week.

I've watched WHO for over 32 odd years and the last few years have been alienating the casual viewers at the expense of chasing the fans. The show had many problems in the 80s, but it's increasing reliance on continuity was one of the biggest reasons people tuned out. Attack Of The Cybermen was pretty much a greatest hits compilation. A story that was written around continuity and needs the viewer to have seen/have knowledge of all the previous Cybermen stories up to that point.

Having 8 episodes as one big "uber" story is a big risk. It could pay off. But, in order to do it, you need people to tune in. And this new trailer simply fails in that regard.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Kind of a lack luster trailer...and no date either.
    This definitely needed footage with a bang. Having a date also would have been helpful. Surely the BBC have a date in mind. They wouldn't enter into promoting it if they didn't.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

You can of course have the opposite problem where you had Series 11 where there was no real through line at all outside the return of Tenzen. Series 12 at least got the Master/Timeless Child balance right with the opening two parter, mid season plot twist point and then the road to the three parter with the Cybermen and Gallifrey. Certainly not perfect but overall the better approach.

I doubt Season 13 will be eight episodes of the same story but probably will deal with the Timeless Child stuff more (I still think that they’re planning to reveal its the Master and not the Doctor).

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Oh look, a poor man's Killmonger too.
    You know hairstyles that us black folk get are not just meant for one person right? That doesn't make the second person you see wearing it a poor man's version of the other person you saw with it.

Like...I just can't......*sigh*
    Geek / Gamer / Filmmaker / Indy Pro Wrestler
    @SebastionEnvi (Twitter/Instagram)
    youtube.com/SkunkLifeMedia

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    You can of course have the opposite problem where you had Series 11 where there was no real through line at all outside the return of Tenzen. Series 12 at least got the Master/Timeless Child balance right with the opening two parter, mid season plot twist point and then the road to the three parter with the Cybermen and Gallifrey. Certainly not perfect but overall the better approach.

I doubt Season 13 will be eight episodes of the same story but probably will deal with the Timeless Child stuff more (I still think that they’re planning to reveal its the Master and not the Doctor).
    Doesn't really explain Ruth, although the Master has been known to copy the shape of the Doctor's TARDIS before (Logopolis), and Missy briefly posed as the Doctor. (Her comic seems to be using this too).

Another possibility could be a Doctor from an alternate universe (The original series and part of the new have hinted at such things) a semi-Doctor like the Dream Lord, Valeyard, Watcher etc. or somebody who *thinks* they're the Doctor like Jackson Lake. Also Remember the kid who had the Doctor's watch in Human Nature began to develop ********h traits from the Chameleon Arch...

Had a random thought...I think itd be cool if we had someone be the Master one season, come in be a terror, etc. The when the Doctor regenerates, they get the Master's most recent face. So you cast that actor as Master annnnd Doctor, so you have a season where the Doctor is running around with the face of the person that has most recently been terrorizing the universe. I think that'd make for some fun stories. Not sure within the rules of regeneration if that could happen, maybe the Master does some kinda tampering with the Doctor to make it happen.

Just random thoughts when washing the dishes a few days ago....

Doesn't really explain Ruth, although the Master has been known to copy the shape of the Doctor's TARDIS before (Logopolis), and Missy briefly posed as the Doctor. (Her comic seems to be using this too).

Another possibility could be a Doctor from an alternate universe (The original series and part of the new have hinted at such things) a semi-Doctor like the Dream Lord, Valeyard, Watcher etc. or somebody who *thinks* they're the Doctor like Jackson Lake. Also Remember the kid who had the Doctor's watch in Human Nature began to develop ********h traits from the Chameleon Arch...
    I still haven't gotten the audio, but I know (probably thanks to this thread) how the Valeyard returned. Or "returned" I should say. Having the Ruth Doctor be one of his subsequent incarnations would fit, but I doubt the show will use anything Big Finish does (name drops in Night of the Doctor notwithstanding).

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post
    Had a random thought...I think itd be cool if we had someone be the Master one season, come in be a terror, etc. The when the Doctor regenerates, they get the Master's most recent face. So you cast that actor as Master annnnd Doctor, so you have a season where the Doctor is running around with the face of the person that has most recently been terrorizing the universe. I think that'd make for some fun stories. Not sure within the rules of regeneration if that could happen, maybe the Master does some kinda tampering with the Doctor to make it happen.

Just random thoughts when washing the dishes a few days ago....
    Since Time Lords can base their looks of an another person this is fair game. We actually had this with the 6th Doctor. Colin Baker starred in the Arc of Infinity as Commander Maxill before getting the role of 6th.

Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 07-27-2021 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Since Time Lords can base their looks of an another person this is fair game. We actually had this with the 6th Doctor. Colin Baker starred in the Arc of Infinity as Commander Maxill before getting the role of 6th.

Got dammit I love me some Davison.

I think it's slightly implied a bit, or maybe just a fan theory, is that the twelfth Doctor might've been subconsciously thinking of Missy when he begins his regeneration into 13 (although he 'stops' it for a while), similar to how his own face is patterned after Caecillius. She is the last face when he does the companion flashback bit in Doctor falls. Hence, female Doctor.

Although it's not the first time the last thing the Doctor thinks about when regenerating is the Master, as Ainley's Master drowned out his companions' voices in "Caves of Androzani" (Might explain part of Sixth's personality...).

BTW kind of wondering why Doctor "ish" is censored....
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 07-27-2021 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post
    Got dammit I love me some Davison.

I thought it was a fun theory. Having the same actor play both the Doctor and the Master is doable.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 07-28-2021 at 01:31 PM.

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v...dalek_universe

Big finish released the synopsis and story details for "Dalek Universe 3".