Page 413 of 581 FirstFirst ... 313363403409410411412413414415416417423463513 ... LastLast
Results 6,181 to 6,195 of 8707
    Astonishing Member

For the next Doctor I recommend Jodie Comer, from Killing Eve.

The Master would be too obvious.

With Phoebe Waller-Bridge as the show runner.

While I'm not a fan of the new Doctor being a woman and having watched the show from the beginning I would like to see the Doctor return as a male and he realises that he dreamt being a woman!!!! I'm more annoyed at the stupid Timeless child rubbish get rid of the producer before he kills the show forever.
    Hail Hydra!

Anytime Big Finish offers a free except, I make sure to get it. "Stranded" sounded good, definitely getting that at some point.

Anyway they had the first hour of the first Doom Coalition available recently, which introduces The Eleven. Hmm. Well...McGann is great as usual, but...not really liking The Eleven. Seems kinda goofy. A Timelord with DID, only the personalities were actually past regenerations, seems like it would be cool for a single ep, not something sustainable long term.

I know how he ends up, spoilers:
    the Jacobi, Roberts, Beaver, and Gomez Masters take turns shooting him until he regenerates into the more sane The Twelve
    end of spoilers, so I might get that story and skip all of Doom Coalition together.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

There's also the Nine, who is an earlier version of him and just as batty. Haven't heard any of the Eleven or Twelve ones though.

The Eleven's pretty cool and he does get better. Ravenous explores him more thoroughly than the Doom Coalition series did but he was juggling screentime with the other members.

Not gonna lie, I wish moffat and chibnall created some new time lord villians instead of just using the master.

PS. I preferred the Doctor being the scientist instead of the timeless child.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-20-2020 at 09:49 AM.

With Doctor Who day tomorrow, some fans are expecting a "Revolution of the Daleks" teaser and release date announcement.

Today, they released a sort of "story so far" thing for season 12: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyX5YJhSBa4
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

An opinion of "Time Lord Victorious".
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-23-2020 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Not gonna lie, I wish moffat and chibnall created some new time lord villians instead of just using the master.
    Well RTD said he wanted to cast Ruthie Henshall as the current incarnation of the Rani. I'm wondering if he changed his mind or was vetoed or...what happened there.

If I'm understanding Moffat correctly, he felt no one would care about the Rani or the Monk, but everyone knows the Master. Feels like some chicken and the egg stuff there: more exposure would help with people knowing who they are. And Chibnall seems content using the Master again, though O's use of the TCE makes me wonder if that incarnation is pre Delgado not post Gomez (yes I'm aware of Lumiat).

And no one wants to use the War Chief again (comics notwithstanding). I felt like Krasko could have been (and depending on a rewrite still could be via Chamelon Arch) the current incarnation of the War Chief.

But as you said, why not create a brand new one? Seems like that's the best of both worlds. No baggage with old continuity, the current audience can get to know (and hate/love to hate) him/her/them in real time. I guess its just easier (and safer) to use the Master.

Incredible Member

the one villain that should have been in doctor who is the trickster, one that exist beyond the timestream and older than the timelords.

Mighty Member

Is Doctor Who still any good?

I kind of packed it in during Peter Capaldi's run. I thought he was a great doctor, but the script writing for the episodes started to go downhill during his tenure in my opinion.

I sort of have the impression that the show will never be able to live up to the David Tennant, Matt Smith years...am I right?

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

If you haven’t seen his final season I definitely would, it’s a great array of episodes and I honestly miss Pearl Jackie’s Bill and Matt Lucas’ Nardole.

Current Who is I think quite inconsistent. I actually really like Jodie’s Doctor but she’s bogged down with too many uninteresting companions (and sadly the most uninteresting is sticking around to sate a LBGT friendly romance arc now) and the fact that the main overseer isn’t a good writer most of the time, or at least encourages stuff that is brain hitting versions of current hot topics - climate change, Trump, climate change again, Brexit and of course being a woman. There are some great episodes - Rosa, Arachnids In The UK, Demons of the Punjab (which should really have been a pure historic) and It Takes You Away being especially good in her first season. Her second one is a definite improvement overall, just don’t bother with the god awful Orphan 55.

Mighty Member

Ok good to know, I will check out the final series of Capaldi. The last episode of Doctor Who I watched had him running around in a castle stuck in a time loop...and I just thought the writing for that season wasn't very good.

I'll pass on the current Doctor Who if the writing isn't back up to par with the Tennant/Smith years though. I don't mind political messages in art, but I don't like it when a writer uses it consistently to overcompensate for their lack of creativity. You should be able to grab my attention without having to appeal to my political heartstrings, and if I don't agree with the message, than obviously it comes off as being preachy, which is annoying.

I will check out some of the episodes you listed though, I love it when they do folklore stuff, so the Demons of the Punjab sounds pretty cool, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    Is Doctor Who still any good?

I kind of packed it in during Peter Capaldi's run. I thought he was a great doctor, but the script writing for the episodes started to go downhill during his tenure in my opinion.

I sort of have the impression that the show will never be able to live up to the David Tennant, Matt Smith years...am I right?
    Capaldi's run slow burns into something wonderful.

The specials leading into season 10 and the finale are really, really good.

It's a shame that it ended just when it was getting really good but then again ... going out on a high note is always better.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Well RTD said he wanted to cast Ruthie Henshall as the current incarnation of the Rani. I'm wondering if he changed his mind or was vetoed or...what happened there.

If I'm understanding Moffat correctly, he felt no one would care about the Rani or the Monk, but everyone knows the Master. Feels like some chicken and the egg stuff there: more exposure would help with people knowing who they are. And Chibnall seems content using the Master again, though O's use of the TCE makes me wonder if that incarnation is pre Delgado not post Gomez (yes I'm aware of Lumiat).

And no one wants to use the War Chief again (comics notwithstanding). I felt like Krasko could have been (and depending on a rewrite still could be via Chamelon Arch) the current incarnation of the War Chief.

But as you said, why not create a brand new one? Seems like that's the best of both worlds. No baggage with old continuity, the current audience can get to know (and hate/love to hate) him/her/them in real time. I guess its just easier (and safer) to use the Master.
    Honestly I get Moffat's reasoning as the Monk could be summed up as "the master as a goofball" and the Rani is "the Master as a chick" but I think there's still more you could do with them.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Honestly I get Moffat's reasoning as the Monk could be summed up as "the master as a goofball" and the Rani is "the Master as a chick" but I think there's still more you could do with them.
    An amoral goofball, guess I can see that. Its kinda weird how he became a Time Lord then threw all the rules he learned about time travel out the window. He seems to not give a damn about creating anocronisms and such. Its weird the CIA cares more about the Doctor's exploits but not his. Still based on the BF audios he makes a great comedic foil, something Moffat interestingly was not against (Nardole).

The Rani, though, seems like "what if Josef Mengele was female and a Time Lord?". Maybe showrunners feel that's her only flavor while the Master has many flavors, including that one. Listening to the audio "I Am The Master", the Beavers Master screwed with the development of a planet for fun, politically and ecologically. The Rani would have just screwed with the planet ecologically and just recorded the results I guess.

Maybe that's the problem with creating another evil Time Lord. The writers will just say "Can't the Master do that?"