Page 327 of 581 FirstFirst ... 227277317323324325326327328329330331337377427 ... LastLast
Results 4,891 to 4,905 of 8709
    Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Big Finish have confirmed that the Short Trips series is going to have the very first 12th Doctor adventure they've done in Feb 2019, plus a team up between Leela and the Brigadier and a story about how the Doctor learnt Venusian Aikido...

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doc...firmed-to-2020

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

I would like to learn how the Doctor learned Venusian Aikido.... especially if it delves into how Venus is currently a molten mess.

Since the actual show seems determined to delve into areas I could care less about, is there another avenue for purchasing Big Finish rather than through the main site? (Like an Amazon or someplace based in the U.S. where I wouldn't have to wait for international shipping.)
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    I would like to learn how the Doctor learned Venusian Aikido.... especially if it delves into how Venus is currently a molten mess.

Since the actual show seems determined to delve into areas I could care less about, is there another avenue for purchasing Big Finish rather than through the main site? (Like an Amazon or someplace based in the U.S. where I wouldn't have to wait for international shipping.)
    I just download them digitally through the site.

I've seen some comic and record stores stock some of the Big Finish stuff. Not necesarilly the newest ones though.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I could buy into her clothing ensemble if it was just something that got thrown together, because she found the clothes or borrowed them off of somebody else. It's hard to believe she went to a store with her friends, went through all the clothes in the store and came up with that. And they didn't even show us her picking out those clothes in some kind of montage sequence. Maybe they wanted to avoid that, because it would be too girly--but that's something we usually get to see with every Doctor, putting together the outift. They gave us a manly montage for making the sonic--something we never get to see--but they left out the fashion montage. And I like it better when the Doctor ends up with the clothes by happenstance, rather than by conscious choice. And preferably doesn't even pay for the clothes.
    Bit like 3 did? Although, the Brigadier told him he would have to return them (in the novelization anyway.)

The outfit will last for this series. But they can always alter it in subsequent seasons like they did with Capaldi if it doesn't go over well. So it is no biggie in the long run.

BANNED

"Ghost Monument" really lacked in places, a few thrilling moments and some solid character work with a decent solution which called back to a prior scene, but lacked any proper conflict or sustainable drama.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post

The Doctor also knows some Venusian lullabies from the Pertwee era.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Not a great episode. writing a bit clunky at times. Let's see how they get the team dynamics as they go forward.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Dope second episode.

-Love the Doctor Strange-esque credit visuals, just like one of their posters.

-I liked Yas' quezy intro scene with all that hectic hullabaloo going on at the same time.

-The more I think about it, I think 3 years might be too long not to warm up to Graham. I don't think he needs to call him gramps yet, but he's due some sort of reciprication.

-I can't put my finger on where I've seen the Male racer before. Was he, wait, he the second or at least one of the probabtion overseers in Misfits right?

-So far I love this series' emphasis on sunlight/golden hour to wash over their settings.

-Muman beings. That's adorable.

-Ryan and Yas would be pretty cute together, but yet why do I feel like this won't be as predictable as it is televised. Assuming these companisons will be around for about 3 series and tv isn't a fan of keeping happy/long relationships....ahh, my fortune telling is getting way ahead of me, I'll try to go along for the ride.

-I liked the voice of the cloth killers. The cigar was wild convienient, mainly because it self ignites, but that's whatever.

-There were a couple weird edits/transitions in this episode as well,. Strange.

-Just like the OP credits I love the organic asethetic of the Tardis and the season overall thus far. This is my style for sure; lots of honey golds and crystalline objects. Some times I wish the Tardis had windows. I hope we get to see more of the Tardis this season, closets, bedrooms perhaps, etc. But I understand wanting to keep a good amount of mystery as well.

Watching this as i go;
    1) not sure how i feel about the theme song; sounds a bit mechanical to me. Steel drums? I guess that’s the only thing they haven’t tried.
    2) i noticed that graham and ryan’s bit was a bit calmer than the doctor and yaz. I kind of found it funny when ryan shot past the others when the spaceship crashed. I’m liking grahm more and more.
    3) where did the doctor pull out her sunglasses from? Apparently this is a doctor thing- s/he has pockets in all her incarnations. This doctor is a bit chatty. That might start to get annoying.
    4) the overall plot about some kind of space race seems like a step down from standard doctor adventures..
    5) i kind of get why ryan isn’t warming up to graham- since his dad left, and both the women in his life are gone- it’s not easy for him to trust anyone. But it’s been three years. Ryan sure had a chip on his shoulder.
    6) the new tardis; not sure how I feel about it. It’s a bit dark- and why is there a mini tardis on the console? I’m also really not sure about the doctor’s relationship with it.
    Last edited by protege; 10-14-2018 at 07:40 PM.

Interesting that this story is effectively a riff on At the Mountains of Madness which means it has stepped from Predator to Alien in its inspiration.

P.S. Did anyone else think of the Frogstar brochure slogan "Sun, Sand, and Suffering on the Most Totally Evil Place in the Galaxy"?
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 10-15-2018 at 05:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    On the other hand, human beings exposed to the vacuum of space in actual real life reality aren't having a good time, but it's not an instant death at all. You get some time to take in the view before your eyeballs freeze.
    It is surprising how conditioned everyone is to the more exaggerated ideas of space from some frankly terrible movie depictions of the past. Explosive decompression suggesting higher pressure than humans would normally require to live in, being sucked out of standard pressure chambers as if releasing a cork, etc. etc.

I remember taking a huge sigh of relief when a hole in the hull of a ship in The Expanse was dealt with calmly and with attention to a realistic time limit, instead of with huge panic and people being pulled off of their feet.

The main 'problem' with this depiction is the way everyone takes a deep breath for convenient humour reasons and then it plays to their benefit. Not sure if holding one's breath is the ideal way to be introduced suddenly to a hard vacuum, but even if it isn't it could be argued they had a quick intake of extra oxygen and then released their breath before being transported. Let's not conduct studies, but I am sure somebody at NASA could probably advise on whether to keep ones mouth open or closed and whether holding one's breath is easy or potentially problematic. I believe the general advice is breathe out to avoid pressure issues.

We see them all immediately placed in non-specific but implied high-technology aside from The Doctor, who we already know seems to have a bigger resistance to hard vacuum from previous stories. That's all we really need for a story not really about space, and certainly not hard science fiction by any stretch.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 10-15-2018 at 07:24 AM.

BANNED

Episodes 5 and 6 revealed

Episode Five: The Tsuranga Conundrum

Action-adventure for all the family, starring Jodie Whittaker, Bradley Walsh, Tosin Cole and Mandip Gill.

“Risk to life: absolute.” Injured and stranded in the wilds of a far-flung galaxy, The Doctor, Yaz, Graham and Ryan must band together with a group of strangers to survive against one of the universe’s most deadly -- and unusual -- creatures.

Guest starring Suzanne Packer, Ben Bailey Smith, Brett Goldstein and Lois Chimimba. Written by Chris Chibnall. Directed by Jennifer Perrott.
    Episode Six: Demons Of The Punjab

Travels in space and time for all the family, starring Jodie Whittaker, Bradley Walsh, Tosin Cole and Mandip Gill.

“What’s the point of having a mate with a time machine, if you can’t nip back and see your gran when she was younger?” India, 1947. The Doctor and her friends arrive in the Punjab, as the country is being torn apart. While Yaz attempts to discover her grandmother’s hidden history, the Doctor discovers demons haunting the land. Who are they and what do they want?

Guest starring Shane Zaza, Amita Suman and Hamza Jeetooa. Written by Vinay Patel. Directed by Jamie Childs.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho...8-89154d64fd90

And Kamelion is coming to Big Finish!

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/kam...-to-doctor-who

Jersey City - or you can call it The TWiLighT Zone

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    The Doctor also knows some Venusian lullabies from the Pertwee era.
    Pertwee's Doctor used Venusian Akido alot.. but I believe he also knew Martian Kung fu also , I think that's what it was called , can't remember but Venusian was his favorite to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Sain View Post
    -I can't put my finger on where I've seen the Male racer before. Was he, wait, he the second or at least one of the probabtion overseers in Misfits right?
    He was Greg, the one they didn't kill and who gave an awesome rendition of Frankie Goes To Hollywood's "The Power of Love". He was absolutely great in that role. Intense, intimidating, stealing every scene he appeared in.
    Live true or lie well.