Page 531 of 582 FirstFirst ... 31431481521527528529530531532533534535541581 ... LastLast
Results 7,951 to 7,965 of 8716
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    Honestly...**** their baggage. With the disastrous writing on most of Jodie's run, it's better to try and right the ship bringing back one of the most popular Doctors and rebuilding the audience's faith and THEN letting it ride with the new guy. The people complaining about David Tennant back have only Chris Chibnall to blame.
    Yeah, I mean I would have personally have rathered just jumping to a new Doctor but bringing back a fan favorite like Tennant is definitely a shot in the arm for ratings which the show needs.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Seems the most obvious storyline for the 1947 episode will be the Roswell crash. Think the series (as well as the audios/novels) have had some contradictory explanations for it (Dalek, Dreamland, First Frontier, some Sarah Jane episodes etc), but this is WHO where there's like three destructions of Atlantis in the TV series alone.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Seems the most obvious storyline for the 1947 episode will be the Roswell crash. Think the series (as well as the audios/novels) have had some contradictory explanations for it (Dalek, Dreamland, First Frontier, some Sarah Jane episodes etc), but this is WHO where there's like three destructions of Atlantis in the TV series alone.
    That sounds cool.

BANNED

Big Finish news now and Cass from Night of the Doctor has been announced as McGann's new companion. Apparently time war shenanigans rewrite her history so she can accompany the Doctor

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/emm...m_content=news

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Big Finish news now and Cass from Night of the Doctor has been announced as McGann's new companion. Apparently time war shenanigans rewrite her history so she can accompany the Doctor

I'm wondering what happened to Bliss, his old companion from the other Time War boxsets.

Ha that's good news. I tend to prefer #8's companions, so this is great.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    So, Doctor Who fans on Twitter seem to be losing their minds (I mean, it is Twitter) over some belief that Disney is going to give them some huge sum of production money for the Disney+ deal and that it may give Disney a controlling stake in the new season . . .

So far I've seen nothing that officially confirms this. You guys haven't seen anything like that, have you?
    The distribution deal is where the money is coming from. Disney would not invest money in a property they can't own outright and never will since the BBC will always own the show. We have to remember the deal might be for a number of years moving forward and Disney probably paid it upfront.

I've seen the misconception on social media and, honestly, people are just jumping to conclusions. The fear is unfounded because the BBC still owns creative control. They've just outsourced the production to save having to spend the money themselves because they are being reviewed (How it spends taxpayers money etc) by the British government and they are cash strapped at the moment.

I wish Davies would adapt this as a special. Tennant and Jacobi need a proper showdown.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post

I wish Davies would adapt this as a special. Tennant and Jacobi need a proper showdown.
    Not going to lie until World Enough and Time/The Doctor Falls I wasn't a fan of Simms' Master and was bitter for years we only got Jacobi on film as the Master for a few short minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post

In hindsight I'd prefer her with the War Doctor instead but I'd probably just wait and see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Not going to lie until World Enough and Time/The Doctor Falls I wasn't a fan of Simms' Master and was bitter for years we only got Jacobi on film as the Master for a few short minutes.
    I figured Jacobi was more expensive to keep around for long. Same with Tony Dalton as Rassilon and Brian Cox as Ood Prime. But Disney improved Doctor Who's budget so there's still hope.

And thus ends a most lackluster incarnation of the Doctor. The problem wasn't a women Doctor, it was how they made her into someone who wins by luck as much as intelligence, Jo Martin in a few short scenes portrays a Doctor with the self confidence who can command a room. She is a much better Doctor than how Jodie was.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I think perhaps the best comparison would be perhaps to Davison, who also had a lot of companions and often found himself in situations he couldn't easily control or have authority over.

Also a lot of the better episodes of the era were the ones taking place in a historical setting, kind of like a few of Davison's serials (and also to a degree Colin's first season).

Has it ever been established if Chibnall was a fan of the Davison era? I know he appeared on TV to give some thoughts on Trial of a Time Lord in the 80's but I haven't read much about his own classic WHO preferences.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I recently came across a review of series 11 and it hammered home one of the big issues with Chibnall's Era.

Every era of Who has unused scripts if I took some of those scripts and redacted the names and posted them everyone could go

Oh that's River, Amy and Rory.

That 4 with Sarah Jane or Romana or Leela.

That 1 with Susan, Ian, and Barbara.

That 2 with Jamie and Victora or Zoe depending on the script.

That 9 with Rose and Jack.

10 with Donna and Martha.

7 with Ace

So on and so on.

Well this person read an aired scene from series 11 of the Companions giving the Doctor a pep talk and you couldn't tell who was who the dialogue was so generic and bland.

Also while he never gave 13 presence he also never went far into giving her a heart. Yeah 12 wasn't empathetic at 1st but that was part of his character arc. The best example is the episode where there is a duplicate of Grahams late wife and at the end when he is standing alone the Doctor just off handling ask "You coming Graham or Come Alone Graham" it was one of those.

The dude just got his dead wife thrown in his face again and the Doctor doesn't seem to care.

Surprisingly Chibnall was bad at characterization and development but that's better handled in his other work.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Surprisingly Chibnall was bad at characterization and development but that's better handled in his other work.
    While Jodie wasn't on my radar for the Doctor Tilda Swinton was my number 1 choice and Hayley Atwell was also in my top 5 so I was extremely open to a female Doctor. It worked brilliantly IMO with Missy.

Also Broadchurch is fantastic and Chibnall wrote some good Who stories I went into his tenure with High Hope's. But god they were dashed.