Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Talking Doctor Who IV - Everything Whovian - Would you like a jelly baby?

dr_who_jelly_babies.jpg

As most of you know, I love Doctor Who. I own an embarrassing amount of Doctor Who stuff and have even been able to meet a few Who actors.
    Luckily, I know that quite a few CBR Community folks are also Whovians - both classic series and modern. And, to be blunt, it doesn't matter in the least if you're a decades long fan who grew up with tales of the Zarbi or you only caught onto the series because you thought David Tennant was hot - if you like Doctor Who, then welcome!

Let's face it, the series has had it's high points and low - but even some of the worst of Who possesses great redeeming features. I'm not a big fan of the 1996 movie, for example; the script was pretty bad while the Eric Roberts version of The Master was embarrassing. BUT I still maintain that the 1996 theme and the TARDIS interior were both fantastic, while McGann put in a pretty strong performance considering what he had to work with.

So come on in, tell us who your favourite Doctor is. Your favourite theme! Your favourite companion! Best story! Share your Who collection, that would be pretty great!
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

Never met any Who actors, but I did get to see them filming "The Angels Take Manhattan" two years ago, which was pretty thrilling. I've been a fan since catching some 5th Doctor episodes on Canadian TV in the 80s, so as much as some fans give "Warriors of the Deep" and "Time-Flight" a lot of crap, they have a special place for me.

Favorite Doctors: from the classic era, Davison, Tom Baker and Pertwee are my favorites (though I like all of them, except McCoy). From the new era, I'll go with Matt Smith as my favorite, despite any issues I have with the Moffat era (and I have many).

My favorite Doctors are Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Christopher Eccleston, and Matt Smith. I like all of them, though.

I love Doctor Who and Torchwood. I started with the 9th Doctor and have seen every episode since. I also watched all of Torchwood. I love them both and also hated Gwen. what a whiny Character. She was to be our point of view character? I loved Ianto and Jack. My favorite companions were Rory, Martha and Amy, in that order.

BANNED

The angels have the phone box...

Any clearer idea than Autumn 2014 for Season 8 to begin?

I think Helen A would approve of the new forum.

Happiness will prevail!

As for me, been a fan for... let's say some years. I've met a few Docs at signings and stuff. And I saw both Pertwee and Colin Baker in 'The Ultimate Adventure' stage play, waaaaaay back when. Fave Docs; Old Who - Sixie; New Who - Eleven.

Oh yeah, and I was in Trafalgar Square last year when they were filming for DotD. Which was cool.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Incredible Member

The first time I remember Doctor Who was a PBS telethon and it was the 4th one Tom Baker. But also remember Teela and K-9 and a couple other companions like Adric,Romana and Sara Jane.

Hadn't seen it since then until 2010 with Matt Smith and caught up on BBC America with the Eccleston and Tennant episodes.

Saw the 96 MGann movie a few moths ago. It was okay.

Trying to adjust to Capaldi. Glad to see them giving Clara more character development.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Adkins View Post
    The first time I remember Doctor Who was a PBS telethon and it was the 4th one Tom Baker. But also remember Teela and K-9 and a couple other companions like Adric,Romana and Sara Jane.
    Wait, there was a Doctor Who/He-Man crossover?

And if not for copyright, a He-Man and Doctor Who crossover is plausible.

Heck, ANYTHING crossing over with Doctor Who is possible. The Doctor can crossover with the Care Bears and nobody would question it.

Writing on the wall The Celtic Batman's Avatar

The Doctor Who / Eastenders 'crossover' wasn't so great.... ;-)
    We're all the Doom Patrol!!!
    Opinions come in all shapes and sizes.
    But they're still just opinions yo

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    And if not for copyright, a He-Man and Doctor Who crossover is plausible.

Heck, ANYTHING crossing over with Doctor Who is possible. The Doctor can crossover with the Care Bears and nobody would question it.
    ... I would. Crossing over with a property like the Care Bears doesn't really make sense, with what Doctor Who is, I think. A bit too silly, and edging on a side of DW I'd rather not see.

I can't really think of much which'd work, myself, other than obvious ones, like K-9, Sarah Jane, or Torchwood, which are the same universe, mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    Exactly him. The fella who was only a head in The Wedding Of River Song.
    In that case, it's not the same actor. Varys is played by Conleth Hill, while Dorium is played by Simon Fisher-Becker. But yeah, two large bald guys in major British shows? I think I made the same assumptions you did for a while there, too.

Ah, not overly. The Think Of It, that interview, the family...and, sure, a little role where he plays The Doctor.

But, yeah, even then, he does look a fair bit younger, especially compared to now.
    I can't see it -- he's always been pale and rail thin to me, and so always older-looking. But then again, I have trouble understanding Twelve's accent* while most others seem to get along just fine with it, so it could be just me.

*oddly enough, I've had no trouble understanding Capaldi in his other performances. It could just be the mix of kinetic smart-ass Doctor-banter with the usual amount of technobabble.

... I would. Crossing over with a property like the Care Bears doesn't really make sense, with what Doctor Who is, I think. A bit too silly, and edging on a side of DW I'd rather not see.

I can't really think of much which'd work, myself, other than obvious ones, like K-9, Sarah Jane, or Torchwood, which are the same universe, mostly.
    I think I mentioned it here a few months ago, but one of the audiobooks had Seven reference an adventure with "Zordon's people," which is implied to be the Power Rangers. I can't fathom it, but kudos to the author.

One thing about the IDW comics is that they love their crossovers, so I'm not ruling anything out for the Doctor at this rate. The DW/Star Trek: TNG crossover was kind of fun, but ran a bit long (and ironically, not enough of the Enterprise!).

Spectacular Member

Default Doctor Who: Favorite Doctors

I saw this article and it made me think, who are your top Doctor Who doctors?

http://hero-envy.blogspot.com/2014/1...tors-ever.html

My Top 3 (I haven't watched enough Classic Who to make a call on the individual Doctors, but I have watched a bit from each - from what I've seen my favourite Classic Doctor would probably be the 2nd or 4th).

1 - 9th Doctor, Christopher Eccleston

2 - The War Doctor, John Hurt

3 - The 12th Doctor, Peter Capaldi

Last edited by BaneofKings; 12-01-2014 at 04:41 AM.