Page 61 of 581 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111161561 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Also keep in mind classic Who is a bit different. With the exception of the first Colin Baker season (Which had 45-minute episodes), each story is about two-three hours long, divided into 30 minute 'serial' segments (Often 4-6 of them), which each end with a cliffhanger except the final one. So the format's one thing. This leads, especially in the long stories, of 'padding'. Doctor Who classic stories as a result are usually available on DVD by story instead of by season (With some exceptions).

There's also the low-budget. Doctor Who was a very low budget show for pretty much the entirety of the classic run, so sets, special effects, and costumes look a bit crappy (Although on some stories they actually did impressive things with the limited look). It also was mostly shot on videotape (with film often used for the exterior scenes only).

Also while the show had some pretty strong writing at times, the character story arcs were often not that developed (with some exceptions such as companions Turlough and Ace).

The Pertwee/Earlier Tom Baker stuff from the 70s is often considered the high point of the series by many fans, although there's plenty of acclaim for the Hartnell and Troughton stuff (although it's unfortunate that a lot is missing). Often it's agreed that the 80s were the most turbulent decade, with the BBC losing interest in the show, a burned out producer etc. and many other problems. As a result the story quality of the 80s is very uneven.

I will say from watching a bit of Hartnell DVDs myself that is not true. Even hearkening back to The Unearthly Child, the story itself ended with a cliffhanger leading into The Daleks.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by malysy View Post
    I'm now halfway through season 3 with David Tenant (I was told to start there), and I really dig it actually. My only issue is Donna. I find her annoying. Whatever though. I would like to watch some of the classic Doctor Who. Also i just purchased a Doctor Who comic book from my local comic store. I am enjoying this show and thank you for the warm welcome.
    Eh?
    I'm an old (old!) Classic Who fan and, yes, when Nine first appeared in advertising photos I was disappointed in both a) He wasn't dressed anything like I remembered the Doctor choosing to wear i.e. 'eccentric', and b) the Time Lords were gone. However, when he took Rose's hand and talked about how he could feel the Earth rushing through the cosmos....I was happily sold and have been pretty much enthused with NuWho ever since. Please don't discount Nine. He had some of the best stories. Jack Harkness is fantastic fun and worth the price of admission right there.

Classic Who: rummaging through the internet for free tidbits is a great start. I'd also look at the episode guides and find those story summaries that look the most interesting.
    Back before the internet was available and all there was was free PBS TV showings and Target books, I'd go through each and every Target book the stores had and decide based on the summaries and the covers which to buy for that trip. Now there's the wonder of the internet. Gosh, I love the internet. Make use of it. Make use of it often.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    Eh?
    I'm an old (old!) Classic Who fan and, yes, when Nine first appeared in advertising photos I was disappointed in both a) He wasn't dressed anything like I remembered the Doctor choosing to wear i.e. 'eccentric', and b) the Time Lords were gone. However, when he took Rose's hand and talked about how he could feel the Earth rushing through the cosmos....I was happily sold and have been pretty much enthused with NuWho ever since.
    That's what did it for me, too. That exact scene.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    Also, did anyone notice a pattern, through this episode and Season 8 especially?

In 'Deep Breath', we got 'Don't breathe' when it came to blending in with the cyborgs.

In 'Listen', we got 'Don't turn around', when it came to the fear creature, or the Doctors' fears.

Now, in 'Time Heist', we get 'Don't think'.

I think a common factor in these would be like a poster said earlier this week, or last week, someone like Cyke, in that DW's tapping into universal fears. Or, the smallest, and simplest, hard to avoid, need to do things, that you actually need to avoid doing to survive.

And, of course, Steven Moffat being the, or a, writer, in each case. Hearkens all the way back to the warning 'Don't blink' in 'Blink', back in Season 3. Like they've been saved up since then, as bar any reusals of that particular warning, be it in Seasons 5, or 7, I don't believe there's been any new ones.

Scary, and interesting.

But, out of all of these, including the very first, which would any of you find the hardest to accomplish, in general, or if such creatures made it necessary for you to do so?
    That is interesting.

That being the case I might revise my premise on who Missy is. That does sound more like a Black Guardian thing.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The Doctor's last remark at the end of this story gave me pause. While he might not have any romantic interest in Clara, it seems like he wants to show her a better time than what Danny can offer.

My guess, he doesn't want her running off and leaving him all alone. The question is why Clara? It was understandable why Ten wanted Rose to travel with him and why Eleven wanted Amy and Clara to travel with him. But it's not clear why Twelve has latched onto Clara and won't let go of her. Maybe it's just because she's the first face his face ever saw. Or perhaps she's the only one who would put up with him.

It couldn't be that he actually cares about Clara, could it? I mean as a friend. And he doesn't want to lose his friend to a lover? Nah.
    The connection to Clara, a person who has saved his life at least 326 times, would be pretty strong.

Plus like all of us the Doctors rational thoughts and his emotions are often at odds, I think. His reference in Deep Breath to her boyfriend on the phone (Matt Smith) shows he's trying to distance himself from those feeling but maybe not quite succeeding yet.

That sense of loneliness is something I fully expect a Missy to exploit.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    The connection to Clara, a person who has saved his life at least 326 times, would be pretty strong.

Plus like all of us the Doctors rational thoughts and his emotions are often at odds, I think. His reference in Deep Breath to her boyfriend on the phone (Matt Smith) shows he's trying to distance himself from those feeling but maybe not quite succeeding yet.

That sense of loneliness is something I fully expect a Missy to exploit.
    I was playing devil's advocate, as in truth I really like Clara. If it were up to me, she would stay the Companion for ten more years. I like the idea that she is the companion to every Doctor (as she--or one of her shard selves--has interacted with everyone of them in some way). Since she's going to leave the TV series, I'd like to see her do an audio story with McGann--maybe she or one of her shard selves was a Companion to Eight, as well.

But given the Twelfth Doctor is so dour and indifferent, I was wondering why he would bother with Clara. Yes, she's his carer. But wouldn't any old caring person do? Why would this Doctor return to her? It makes sense with Eleven--because she was a mystery he needed to figure out--but Twelve presumably has no interest in Clara.

And we've seen with other Doctors that they can completely change in feeling toward their companions. The Third Doctor really didn't seem to care that much about Sara Jane, but the Fourth Doctor really did. Peri has a good relationship with Five, but she's scandalized by Six. After regenerating into Eleven, the only person he seeme to care about from his previous incarnation is River Song--he never gave any thought to Rose, Martha, Donna, Captain Jack.

I have my own thoughts on why Twelve keeps chasing after Clara, but it does seem a legitimate question, given the nature of this new Doctor.

BANNED

I was playing devil's advocate, as in truth I really like Clara. If it were up to me, she would stay the Companion for ten more years. I like the idea that she is the companion to every Doctor (as she--or one of her shard selves--has interacted with everyone of them in some way). Since she's going to leave the TV series, I'd like to see her do an audio story with McGann--maybe she or one of her shard selves was a Companion to Eight, as well.
    Oh my God, YESSS!!! She would be perfect with Mcgann. Maybe just continue her story, going from 12th to 8th like Charley did. Her knowing about the Time War and the War Doctor would really mesh well with Dark Eyes' Time War prequel thing it's got going on.

But given the Twelfth Doctor is so dour and indifferent, I was wondering why he would bother with Clara. Yes, she's his carer. But wouldn't any old caring person do? Why would this Doctor return to her? It makes sense with Eleven--because she was a mystery he needed to figure out--but Twelve presumably has no interest in Clara.

And we've seen with other Doctors that they can completely change in feeling toward their companions. The Third Doctor really didn't seem to care that much about Sara Jane, but the Fourth Doctor really did. Peri has a good relationship with Five, but she's scandalized by Six. After regenerating into Eleven, the only person he seeme to care about from his previous incarnation is River Song--he never gave any thought to Rose, Martha, Donna, Captain Jack.

I have my own thoughts on why Twelve keeps chasing after Clara, but it does seem a legitimate question, given the nature of this new Doctor.
    I think he just likes her company. The only other companions who may have known him better are Romana and maybe River Song. He likes just having a friend with whom he doesn't need to front.

Also one of the reasons why I love Moffat's DW over RTD's is because The Doctor finally STFU about a 19 year old he hanged out for what proportionally would have been like a couple weeks of his life.
    Last edited by Vidocq; 09-25-2014 at 04:50 PM.

Well, in Let's Kill Hitler, the Eleventh Doctor's running through past companions for the hologram to take form of, and advise him. If I remember correctly, three of those, before his then companion, Amy, were Rose, Martha and Donna.

He was then asking for one which he hadn't hurt/screwed over/what have you, ending in Pond.

I know that's not much, but still.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Default New Action Figure Series

Just when I thought maybe Character Options was getting the 3.75" action figures halfway decent...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI9rm...3zHfbjuSJxsi2Q

Good gravy---Is this some sort of a bad joke? It's a rotten sculpt when you need the title on the package to tell you who the character is supposed to be. And when said character is THE TITLE CHARACTER that is really, really horrid. Plus not including any red on his coat? Not even a hint of it? Seriously?!

This has FAIL written all over it. Two thumbs down.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Extraordinary Member

Does anyone wonder, while Clara's temporal dopplegangers were running all over the Doctor's timeline saving his live over and over and over again...

...that some of them looked at this guy and seriously wondered why they were bothering?

Extraordinary Member

Because I am on holidays and I had the time...

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Does anyone wonder, while Clara's temporal dopplegangers were running all over the Doctor's timeline saving his live over and over and over again...

...that some of them looked at this guy and seriously wondered why they were bothering?

I could say the same about angry as hell, wanting to kill and obnoxious Nine.

I wonder if anyone will be getting this next week:

Now if I'm not mistaken, this is the first literary work to be written from an in-universe perspective right? 11 writes this book for 12. I admit I want this just by that alone. Reminds me of the Star Wars Essential Guides and other stuff. Would be great to see some preview images.

I was watching some of Silence in the Library and I realized where the appearance for the 11th Doctor came from. The Doctor mentions that he has a head full of stuff and that he needs a bigger head. Hence the big head of 11.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."