Page 451 of 458 FirstFirst ... 351401441447448449450451452453454455 ... LastLast
Results 6,751 to 6,765 of 6859
  1. #6751
    Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Nottingham, England
    Posts
    5,668

    Default

    Kris Marshall or Haley Atwell would be my picks for 14. I personally think that they need to move away from the head bashing levels of social justice the show has demonstrated lately and try to be more subtle about it like it used to be, or at the least kill off the now dated Trump rip off. Definitely sad for Jodie, she was never the problem but will inevitably be roped with it for a while until Big Finish has the sense to return to her and prove she just needed better writing overall.

  2. #6752
    You guessed it mr_crisp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    BREAKING: Jodie Whittaker and Chris Chibnall to leave Doctor Who in a trio of Specials, culminating in an epic blockbuster Special to air in autumn 2022 as part of the BBC’s Centenary celebrations.

    Bring on 14!
    Sounds like the David Tennant route with the specials.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

    Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

    Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

    "This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

  3. #6753
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    My only real disappointment in this news is that I was hoping Jodie could get one series under another writer. I've seen her in enough other stuff to know she COULD have been an amazing Doctor if given better material and a stronger personality.

    Oh well.

    Now the real question is what/who comes next? Will the Beeb play it safe and choose another Chibs-esque writer from their in house stable? Or will they gamble a bit and go for somebody more outside the box? Will we see another female Doctor, another minority of a different stripe, or are we back to safe, white dudes? Do you launch into a new showrunner/Doctor combo immediately, or do you give the show some time to rest and let demand/hype build? So many good questions moving forward.
    They'll announce who the new incoming production team is and they'll be working behind the scenes next year. You need to have a series ready to go in order to capitalize on the promotion/excitement of a new Doctor.

    I always said Chibnall would stay 3 series. Most of the series/stuff he has worked on has seen him leave after 3 series (Broadchurch, Born And Bred).

  4. #6754
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Reading the presser, the specials will have a different team than current Who.

    Sounds like she'll get to flex a bit in those 3-4 specials (I say 4 because they are vague on the finale being part of the trilogy or not).

    As far as the next Doctor, there were rumors that the next one was going to show up in a special or an episode that was already shot. But those rumors have died down.

    As it stands now, the betting odds are:

    Frontrunners:
    Olly Alexander 4.5 7/2
    Kris Marshal 6.0 5/1

    Third Favorite:
    Michela Cole 8.0 7/1

    Outside Chance:
    Michael Sheen 11.0 10/1
    Tom Rosenthal 11.0 10/1
    Anne Maxwell Martin 11.0 10/1
    Richard Ayoade 11.0 10/1

    DARK HORSE:
    Maxine Peake 17.0 16/1

    I'm actually pretty fine with anyone on this list. I have a favorite, though. Ayoade ...
    I like Ayoade, too. Dude just screams Doctor and he wouldn't need to act, either. Just show up and be himself.

  5. #6755
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Remember, kids. If you cry and throw a loud enough tantrum eventually you'll get your way.

    I expect the victory parades from the "Get Woke Go Broke" crowd to begin any minute.
    I doubt that is the case. Otherwise they'd have been gone already. Chibnall only ever stays with something a few years (usually 3 series worth). Which is why I was always perplexed when people said he was going to do five series. Jodie likely decided to go with him.

  6. #6756
    Astonishing Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Reading the presser, the specials will have a different team than current Who.

    Sounds like she'll get to flex a bit in those 3-4 specials (I say 4 because they are vague on the finale being part of the trilogy or not).

    As far as the next Doctor, there were rumors that the next one was going to show up in a special or an episode that was already shot. But those rumors have died down.

    As it stands now, the betting odds are:

    Frontrunners:
    Olly Alexander 4.5 7/2
    Kris Marshal 6.0 5/1

    Third Favorite:
    Michela Cole 8.0 7/1

    Outside Chance:
    Michael Sheen 11.0 10/1
    Tom Rosenthal 11.0 10/1
    Anne Maxwell Martin 11.0 10/1
    Richard Ayoade 11.0 10/1

    DARK HORSE:
    Maxine Peake 17.0 16/1

    I'm actually pretty fine with anyone on this list. I have a favorite, though. Ayoade ...
    I always enjoy seeing the odds on the next Doctor...but other than the best odds being on it being a female actor after Capaldi I don't think they've ever cast someone the London bookies have ever picked.

  7. #6757
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    11,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    As it stands now, the betting odds are:

    Frontrunners:
    Olly Alexander 4.5 7/2
    Kris Marshal 6.0 5/1

    Third Favorite:
    Michela Cole 8.0 7/1

    Outside Chance:
    Michael Sheen 11.0 10/1
    Tom Rosenthal 11.0 10/1
    Anne Maxwell Martin 11.0 10/1
    Richard Ayoade 11.0 10/1

    DARK HORSE:
    Maxine Peake 17.0 16/1

    I'm actually pretty fine with anyone on this list. I have a favorite, though. Ayoade ...
    Those are take my MONEY choices.

    Ayoade.... if they would make Chris O'Dowd his companion.

  8. #6758
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Reading the presser, the specials will have a different team than current Who.
    Unlikely. Consider that as recently as two weeks ago we were told, repeatedly, by official BBC sources that the next series would have 8 episodes. Now it is 6. The most likely scenario seems to be that two of those episodes are being held back as "specials" for next year, with a single new one commissioned to serve as Jodie's finale/regeneration story.

  9. #6759
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Unlikely. Consider that as recently as two weeks ago we were told, repeatedly, by official BBC sources that the next series would have 8 episodes. Now it is 6. The most likely scenario seems to be that two of those episodes are being held back as "specials" for next year, with a single new one commissioned to serve as Jodie's finale/regeneration story.
    That is likely what is going on. For now it seems we are losing Jodie, Chibnall and the producer. No word on if the companions are staying or going yet.

  10. #6760
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    12,327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Unlikely. Consider that as recently as two weeks ago we were told, repeatedly, by official BBC sources that the next series would have 8 episodes. Now it is 6. The most likely scenario seems to be that two of those episodes are being held back as "specials" for next year, with a single new one commissioned to serve as Jodie's finale/regeneration story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    That is likely what is going on. For now it seems we are losing Jodie, Chibnall and the producer. No word on if the companions are staying or going yet.
    According to the corporation, Doctor Who’s 13th season will air later this year as a “six-part event serial”—the season, truncated by filming restrictions due to the covid-19 pandemic, was previously announced as being eight episodes long—with two previously planned specials to air in 2022. Those specials will now be joined by a third “feature length adventure,” which will bid farewell to Whittaker’s incarnation of the Time Lord and see her regenerate into a new form. The specials have not been shot at this time and are in pre-production. It has been anticipated the next writing team will be in place during the specials.

    “Jodie and I made a ‘three series and out’ pact with each other at the start of this once-in-a-lifetime blast. So now our shift is done, and we’re handing back the TARDIS keys,” Chibnall said in an accompanying statement. “Jodie’s magnificent, iconic Doctor has exceeded all our high expectations. She’s been the gold standard leading actor, shouldering the responsibility of being the first female Doctor with style, strength, warmth, generosity and humour. She captured the public imagination and continues to inspire adoration around the world, as well as from everyone on the production. I can’t imagine working with a more inspiring Doctor–so I’m not going to!”
    Sounds like they're waiting on a new writing team at least for the un-shot specials. And it could just be Chibnall doing the whole thing. Which is more likely ...

    Also, sounds like this was the plan all along (3 and out for everyone).

    No rumors or any bits & bobs about the companions and their fates.

    Time will tell!
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 07-29-2021 at 07:19 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  11. #6761
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    12,327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Kris Marshall or Haley Atwell would be my picks for 14. I personally think that they need to move away from the head bashing levels of social justice the show has demonstrated lately and try to be more subtle about it like it used to be, or at the least kill off the now dated Trump rip off. Definitely sad for Jodie, she was never the problem but will inevitably be roped with it for a while until Big Finish has the sense to return to her and prove she just needed better writing overall.
    Marshall was almost the Doctor twice now ... would seem kind of sad if he didn't get it. With Olly officially out, sounds like it might be finally happening.

    This is one of my favorite times as a Whovian.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  12. #6762
    Sailing the seas Chris Lang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Here's my pick for #14-

    Shazad Latif, Richard Aoyade, Robert Carlyle, Jason Isaacs, Phoebe Waller Bridge, Jo Martin, Adrian Lester,
    Guy Henry, Katie McGrath, Colin Morgan

    Toby Whitehouse of Being Human would be an interesting choice. He has written for the show before.

    Neil Gaiman would be amazing but that feels like a longshot.
    Jo Martin would work, if it were revealed she was actually a future incarnation of The Doctor instead of a past one. That would certainly explain the seeming plot hole about her TARDIS resembling a police box.

  13. #6763
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Marshall was almost the Doctor twice now ... would seem kind of sad if he didn't get it. With Olly officially out, sounds like it might be finally happening.

    This is one of my favorite times as a Whovian.
    Judging by comments on various forums and pages, I think everyone is unanimous in being glad Chibnall is gone (almost everyone is sad to see Jodie going).

  14. #6764
    Astonishing Member Anthony W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    2,206

    Default

    Richard Ayoade?!

    BWA-HAHAHA! Folks, the BBC cannot afford him.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

  15. #6765
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    10,126

    Default

    It's too bad Whittaker didn't get enough good stuff during her tenure.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •