Page 329 of 580 FirstFirst ... 229279319325326327328329330331332333339379429 ... LastLast
Results 4,921 to 4,935 of 8689
    Retired

Funny thing up until today, I didn't know what a custard cream was. I've often heard characters refer to custard creams in British shows, but I always assumed they were a custard dessert. In fact, I've eaten these cookies since a little kid, but they never had a name--they were just the sandwich type cookies that are like an oreo but rectangular, with icing in the middle. In a store-bought cookie tin, these would be the last I'd eat, because they were bland and uninteresting. Likewise, I never knew that the round cookies with the jam in the middle were Jammy Dodgers until I started watching the Matt Smith Doctor--they would also be in the cookie tin, but I never ate those cookies, because I can't stand jam and I hate anything that has jam stuck inside it.

Really hope this Rosa episode has something to say without beating us down with it and being too preachy. Not only how they handle Ryan and Yaz' reactions are key, but also the Doctor's and Graham's. This has to be cringe free. lol
    Last edited by Sain; 10-16-2018 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Funny thing up until today, I didn't know what a custard cream was. I've often heard characters refer to custard creams in British shows, but I always assumed they were a custard dessert. In fact, I've eaten these cookies since a little kid, but they never had a name--they were just the sandwich type cookies that are like an oreo but rectangular, with icing in the middle. In a store-bought cookie tin, these would be the last I'd eat, because they were bland and uninteresting. Likewise, I never knew that the round cookies with the jam in the middle were Jammy Dodgers until I started watching the Matt Smith Doctor--they would also be in the cookie tin, but I never ate those cookies, because I can't stand jam and I hate anything that has jam stuck inside it.
    You my friend are the polar opposite of a Brit. Next you will be telling us you don’t like jelly babys or... I can hardly say it... Don’t Like Tea!

I think I need a sit down. No, I’ll put the kettle on first. Thank goodness Bake Off is on tonight.

On a serious note, the kind of custard cream or jammy dodger you get in selection tins are not anywhere near as good as the brand leaders for either biscuit.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 10-16-2018 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sain View Post
    Really hope this Rosa episode isn't has something to say without beating us down with it and being too preachy. Not only how they handle Ryan and Yaz' reactions are key, but also the Doctor's and Graham's. This has to be cringe free. lol
    I'm afraid that, for a lot of people, simply acknowledging the existence and harm of racism is cringey.

I remember during a Twelfth Doctor adventure, the subtext to one character (not a villain, just an "innocent" supporting character, but otherwise being flat out trash to the others) was really racist in his behavior. The guy was so inept and so incapable of imagination that he proved immune to the Doctor's trusty psychic paper (the opposite of Shakespeare, who was too smart for psychic paper). His disdain drove the writer's point that racism didn't need to be overt to be harmful.

But no, even bringing up that subtext was enough to rile up one poster here (who I don't see anymore on these boards) in defense of the most indefensible character of that episode. He was purposely created to be more loathsome than the villains even though technically he did nothing wrong, and still this poster refused to acknowledge any of that subtext.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    You my friend are the polar opposite of a Brit. Next you will be telling us you don’t like jelly babys or... I can hardly say it... Don’t Like Tea!
    Well, living in Canada, I've always watched lots of British programs, because many TV stations carry them here, and I'm a longtime viewer of CORONATION STREET, but some things just leave me baffled and I have no idea what they're talking about. Apparently tea isn't tea, but (I think) when they say "Fancy a brew?" that is tea. Then there's a sarny, a fry-up, beans on toast--I have no idea what any those actually would be.

And there seem to be a lot of kebab shops in the "precinct." To me a kebab is something exotic on a stick you might have once a year at a restaurant or a family barbeque, but a kebab in Britain is apparently what you eat after a "massive boozer."

We don't eat jelly babies in Canada, but we love our gummy bears--and I imagine that's the same thing. Tell me, do Brits ever eat Coffee Crisp, ketchup chips, all-dressed chips, Nanaimo bars, poutine, butter tarts, bannock, Smarties, tourtieres, Jos. Louis, Girl Guide mint cookies, Kraft Dinner or maple syrup bacon?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I'm afraid that, for a lot of people, simply acknowledging the existence and harm of racism is cringey.

I remember during a Twelfth Doctor adventure, the subtext to one character (not a villain, just an "innocent" supporting character, but otherwise being flat out trash to the others) was really racist in his behavior. The guy was so inept and so incapable of imagination that he proved immune to the Doctor's trusty psychic paper (the opposite of Shakespeare, who was too smart for psychic paper). His disdain drove the writer's point that racism didn't need to be overt to be harmful.

But no, even bringing up that subtext was enough to rile up one poster here (who I don't see anymore on these boards) in defense of the most indefensible character of that episode. He was purposely created to be more loathsome than the villains even though technically he did nothing wrong, and still this poster refused to acknowledge any of that subtext.
    Was this an episode of series 8? The one with the boneless?

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Was this an episode of series 8? The one with the boneless?
    Yep, that's the one.

We don't eat jelly babies in Canada, but we love our gummy bears--and I imagine that's the same thing.
    Not really no. Totally different texture and taste.

Tell me, do Brits ever eat
    Coffee Crisp ?
    ketchup chips - Had these in the seventies if they are what I think they are
    all-dressed chips ?
    Nanaimo bars ?
    poutine x
    butter tarts x
    bannock -Scottish
    Smarties / If they are the chocolate sweets
    tourtieres ?
    Jos. Louis ??
    Girl Guide mint cookies ???
    Kraft Dinner ????
    maple syrup bacon x

Divided by a common language and totally different food. It is a wonder Dr Who even translates!

Tell me about it! Anyone would think that Dr Who will claim that the civil rights movement was the brainchild of a white woman with a colloquial English accent. I am sure it will be fine.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Not really no. Totally different texture and taste.!
    Then I guess I've never had a jelly baby. Sad.

Coffee Crisp ? is a chocolate bar with wafer and creamy coffee inside--makes a nice light snack.
    all-dressed chips ? are "crisps" that have a tangy flavouring (a mix of flavours, thus all-dressed)
    Nanaimo bars ? are made with thick layers of chocolate, coconut and graham wafer crumbs
    bannock -Scottish yes, but when the fur-traders (many from Scotland) met with the indigenous people in Canada, they shared an easy bannock recipe to make over the fire and different tribes will have their own versions of bannock, it's very much a part of traditional celebrations among the First Nations
    Smarties -like the American M&Ms but better, you save the red ones for last
    tourtieres --essentially meat pies
    Jos. Louis ?? --a velvet chocolate cake snack sort of like Hostess chocolate cupcakes (pronounced like Joe Louie)
    Girl Guide mint cookies ??? --mint chocolate cookies that you can only get from the Girl Guides of Canada and only at this time of year
    Kraft Dinner ???? mac & cheese in a box--every university student survives on KD

Ahh yes It's true, because the show is so happy go lucky and adventurous by default that once you get serious it is really really noticeable. Especially when pulling from real issues. Awh well, gotta brace myself then.

Astonishing Member

Well, living in Canada, I've always watched lots of British programs, because many TV stations carry them here, and I'm a longtime viewer of CORONATION STREET, but some things just leave me baffled and I have no idea what they're talking about. Apparently tea isn't tea, but (I think) when they say "Fancy a brew?" that is tea. Then there's a sarny, a fry-up, beans on toast--I have no idea what any those actually would be.

And there seem to be a lot of kebab shops in the "precinct." To me a kebab is something exotic on a stick you might have once a year at a restaurant or a family barbeque, but a kebab in Britain is apparently what you eat after a "massive boozer."

We don't eat jelly babies in Canada, but we love our gummy bears--and I imagine that's the same thing. Tell me, do Brits ever eat Coffee Crisp, ketchup chips, all-dressed chips, Nanaimo bars, poutine, butter tarts, bannock, Smarties, tourtieres, Jos. Louis, Girl Guide mint cookies, Kraft Dinner or maple syrup bacon?
    Beans on toast = baked beans (kidney beans in tomato sauce) on toast.
    Sarny = Sandwich.
    Fry-up = Is when people fix themselves a meal of fried foods including bacon, eggs, sausage etc.

If the British ones confuse you, then I can only imagine what our Australian ones would do to you lol.

Doctor Who sort of dealt with the Civil Rights movement a bit in "Rememberance of the Daleks"
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

BANNED

Advance review of "Rosa" from DWTV

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/series-...oots-88848.htm

Cover to DWM...which also features the DWM Comic Strip debut of Jodie!

Additional details on upcoming episodes and characters from DWM

spoilers:
    -Chris Noth plays an American named Robertson in "Arachnids In The UK"
    -Shobna Gulati plays Najia, Yasmin Khan’s mother.
    -Tanya Fear plays zoologist Dr. Jade McIntyre
    -An actual Zooologist was consulted for this episode, so it looks like this too will be a bit educational.
    -"The Tsuranga Conundrum" is written by Chris Chibnall and directed by Jennifer Perrot
    -The Doctor, Graham, Yasmin and Ryan are patients at a very futuristic hospital.
    -Brett Goldstein and Lois Chimimba (Malbi) play medics.
    -Episode 6: Demons of the Punjab is written by Vinay Patel and directed by Jamie Childs
    -Yasmin is curious about the secrets her grandmother Umbreen (affectionately called Nanni) holds. Yasmin, the Doctor, Graham and Ryan go back in time to India, August 1947. It is a time full of violence and terror in India as it is partitioned to form the new country of Pakistan, fracturing families in the process.

Bradley Walsh: “[Graham] just wants to continue the journey with the Doctor because he hasn’t got anything to go back for. Graham totally trusts the Doctor.”
    end of spoilers

http://cultbox.co.uk/news/doctor-who...o-magazine-531

Then I guess I've never had a jelly baby. Sad.

Coffee Crisp ? is a chocolate bar with wafer and creamy coffee inside--makes a nice light snack.
    all-dressed chips ? are "crisps" that have a tangy flavouring (a mix of flavours, thus all-dressed)
    Nanaimo bars ? are made with thick layers of chocolate, coconut and graham wafer crumbs
    bannock -Scottish yes, but when the fur-traders (many from Scotland) met with the indigenous people in Canada, they shared an easy bannock recipe to make over the fire and different tribes will have their own versions of bannock, it's very much a part of traditional celebrations among the First Nations
    Smarties -like the American M&Ms but better, you save the red ones for last
    tourtieres --essentially meat pies
    Jos. Louis ?? --a velvet chocolate cake snack sort of like Hostess chocolate cupcakes (pronounced like Joe Louie)
    Girl Guide mint cookies ??? --mint chocolate cookies that you can only get from the Girl Guides of Canada and only at this time of year
    Kraft Dinner ???? mac & cheese in a box--every university student survives on KD
    Well we share a love of Smarties then. They are, after all a Rowntree‘s sweet. Indeed there are similarities between Rowntree‘s and Sweetville from The Crimson Horror. I knew I could turn it back to Dr Who somehow!
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 10-19-2018 at 12:53 PM.