Page 423 of 580 FirstFirst ... 323373413419420421422423424425426427433473523 ... LastLast
Results 6,331 to 6,345 of 8689

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post
    Well thankfully you're not making decisions like that.
    If I was the ratings might be a hell of a lot higher and there might be two successful shows (one starring the Doctor the other one of the female "Time Lords" I mentioned) rather than a single failing show.
    Last edited by Celgress; 01-20-2021 at 09:06 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    That's because he is one. Really don't know what they were thinking when they tried to tinker with the regenerations. They should just do a full reboot, now is the perfect time since unlucky thirteen almost killed the franchise lol. You just can't stay in the current continuity, not after this clusterf***
    Indeed, sometimes keeping things the way they are is best.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Yeah ... Saying reboot Who is kinda dumb and shows a lack of understanding about the show.
    ::Looks at current Who:: Nah, I trust I have a handle on it.

Literally every regeneration is a soft reboot.
    Hard reboot is best, it's not enough to never mention it again because that mess is still there waiting to pop up again lol

Continuity getting reset has even happened over the course of an episode!
    So doing a hard reboot shouldn't be that big a deal.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

"Masterful" is pretty great.

Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-20-2021 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    If I was the ratings might be a hell of a lot higher and there might be two successful shows (one starring the Doctor the other one of the female "Time Lords" I mentioned) rather than a single failing show.
    It's interesting that no matter where you look you see people doing their best to take long running franchises and run them into the ground. Franchises such as Dr. Who, Star Wars, Star Trek, Terminator, Ghostbusters, Predator, Aliens etc.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    It's interesting that no matter where you look you see people doing their best to take long running franchises and run them into the ground. Franchises such as Dr. Who, Star Wars, Star Trek, Terminator, Ghostbusters, Predator, Aliens etc.
    I disagree about Star Wars as it's doing pretty good, IMO. I also like what I've seen of the new Ghostbusters movie but 2016 was indeed trash.

Also, I'm not against female characters in Doctor Who or even female Time Lords far from it. Missy is one of my favorite "New Who" characters (I didn't think I'd love a female Master but I did because of great writing and acting). I think the problem is with making the Doctor female after fifty years unless you knock it out of the park (which they obviously didn't) the concept will sour many longtime fans such as myself. Although, being 100% honest, making the Doctor Space Jesus bothers me a hell of a lot more than making the Doctor female.
    Last edited by Celgress; 01-20-2021 at 09:14 PM.

I think it was pretty much in the RTD/Tennant/Master three parter in season 3 where the Doctor was portrayed as a messianic figure; his story being told around the world, pretty much being prayed to, ascending in an ethereal light, forgiving, and also renewing the Earth after an apocalyptic event-and then you have the next story (Voyage of the Damned, unless you count Time Crash) with the Doctor literally being lifted by angels, although robotic ones.

The recent origin retcon was more of an Original Sin kind of thing.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I'm more upset about Gallifrey being destroyed again.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I think it was pretty much in the RTD/Tennant/Master three parter in season 3 where the Doctor was portrayed as a messianic figure; his story being told around the world, pretty much being prayed to, ascending in an ethereal light, forgiving, and also renewing the Earth after an apocalyptic event-and then you have the next story (Voyage of the Damned, unless you count Time Crash) with the Doctor literally being lifted by angels, although robotic ones.

The recent origin retcon was more of an Original Sin kind of thing.
    Messianic imagery doesn't trouble me so much as the "special from the beginning, the key to everything BS" that's what I truly detest, such lazy writing. I prefer characters who aren't born great but become great.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    If I am honest I feel the same way - getting rid of Gallifrey only removes interesting and engaging concepts, though of course I suspect it will get undone in time anyway. The concept of the Master being able to casually off screen kill off ALL the Time Lords was more of a misfire than the Timeless Children idea to me, especially since it also seems to undo all the development of Missy as a character.

I find it telling that Titan Comics are quite reliant on elements from past Doctors getting into things with no less than three separate Ten and Thirteen team-ups (four if you count them about to team up in Edge of Reality) and the upcoming Missy comic, not to mention Time Lord Victorious from the BBC.

The Timelord bodies being cyberconverted and somehow still able to regenerate (Well, probably just their organic bits) might be a possible fix, as it's strongly implied the Master was able to escape with at least some Cyberlords.

We've at least had one conversion undone (Bill's) although she didn't really turn human again. Maybe the Doctor can find Rassilon's glove which managed to undo the Simm Master cloning himself into every human.

Maybe that'll how the Thirteen Doctor goes-sacrificing herself somehow to restore the Time Lords.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 01-21-2021 at 09:20 AM.

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?artic...WmICBouMHsDVgA

Season 24 is the next classic blu-ray release. It's an interesting one considering the mixed reception that season has.

Also has a fun trailer with Mel doing some kind of "Shark tank" show.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 01-21-2021 at 10:10 AM.

Me too! I thought I was alone in that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    If I am honest I feel the same way - getting rid of Gallifrey only removes interesting and engaging concepts, though of course I suspect it will get undone in time anyway. The concept of the Master being able to casually off screen kill off ALL the Time Lords was more of a misfire than the Timeless Children idea to me, especially since it also seems to undo all the development of Missy as a character.
    Yay! I am really not alone.

I find it telling that Titan Comics are quite reliant on elements from past Doctors getting into things with no less than three separate Ten and Thirteen team-ups (four if you count them about to team up in Edge of Reality) and the upcoming Missy comic, not to mention Time Lord Victorious from the BBC.
    I'm slowly getting caught up on Big Finish's Eighth Doctor so I am a bit behind but do you think that will be covered in BF's stuff (the bolded part)? I haven't touched the Master stuff yet.

Seems ripe for the comic or BF.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 01-21-2021 at 11:47 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I'm also bothered by this. It's yet another cheap trick to make the Doctor more spacial by having only a handful of known surviving Time Lords. It would be far better to instead have a flourishing civilization that simply doesn't care about others because of their embrace of elitist values thus providing a great contrast to the Doctor's more egalitarian mindset, you know, the classic status quo that worked for decades.
    Last edited by Celgress; 01-21-2021 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post

I got started with the revival era so Gallifrey was always a cool tease. I loved that Big Finish gave 8 some new time lord villians to fight in the Doom Coalition series. Chibnall could've done that. Having 13 protecting the Timeless Child from Time Lord Society would've been so epic.

Someone rewrote the Master as the Timeless Child and it works for me. It's a good way to justify the Master backsliding into villiany. Other options include having Dhawan be a previous incarnation. People are fond of him being between Simms and Gomez and I could see it.

I could see see Series 9 Missy pulling the same stunt as Dhawan. Her whole thing was to get the Doctor back as a friend, even if it means turning him evil.

Another option is to have the Time Lords force the Master to be good via regeneration. It's a clockwork orange style approach and builds off the fact that regeneration can change personality. It's an interesting ethical experiment for the Doctor to tackle and helps bring back the alien-ness of the Time Lords.

Me too! I thought I was alone in that.

I'm slowly getting caught up on Big Finish's Eighth Doctor so I am a bit behind but do you think that will be covered in BF's stuff (the bolded part)? I haven't touched the Master stuff yet.

Seems ripe for the comic or BF.
    Big Finish could tackle it down the road. They usually can't use the more recent material from the show because of the licensing etc. Also actor availability is an issue. They can use 11 and 12 but they have to use impression actors etc. Jacob Dudman has done 10/11/12 and Nick Briggs has tried to do 9.

So maybe in a few years they'll get to resolve it. Sacha Dhawan actually has worked with Big Finish before so he's likely to come back. I look forward to purchasing his spinoff boxset in a few years.

The comics could tackle it too.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-21-2021 at 03:50 PM.