Page 474 of 580 FirstFirst ... 374424464470471472473474475476477478484524574 ... LastLast
Results 7,096 to 7,110 of 8689

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Davies is the guy who turned the Doctor from an eccentric outcast to a 'lonely god' (*gag*) that everyone is in love with, I don't think he's going to retcon Chibnall's further aggrandisement. Really, I think it's very Nu Who.
    Yeah, one of the greatest flaws of NuWho is the Doctor being too central to everything. Time, space, and the universe are apparently very, very small indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    It felt like a doctor lite episode. I liked the Yaz stuff more than the Doctor confrontation. The Grand Serpent is a fun villian.
    Looks like they were kind of going for a slight Indiana Jones tribute as well. Especially the map scene. Also cool that they've kept Jericho around (Who seemed a bit like a jerk at first when he didn't help Clare when she was in distress), at first it seemed like a one-shot deal but then again but when you've got Kevin Mcnally, why not have him on for a bit longer?

Also this kind of moves UNIT's development up by a decade, I think it was generally assumed that it was formed after the Yeti attack and the Dalek civil war/Hand of Omega stuff (Most of this is because of WHO's EU I think). Kind of interesting they largely skipped over the Doctor's time there, avoiding the UNIT dating mess and if he came across the Grand Serpent at any point (Or the future version of his TARDIS)
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 12-02-2021 at 06:50 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Stranded 3 comes out today

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Davies is the guy who turned the Doctor from an eccentric outcast to a 'lonely god' (*gag*) that everyone is in love with, I don't think he's going to retcon Chibnall's further aggrandisement. Really, I think it's very Nu Who.
    Well, if so, I'm done with this crap so after 30 odd years they've lost a lifelong viewer.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

TBF the McCoy era was already playing around with the Doctor being somewhat more than just a traveling renegade. One episode even implies that an incarnation of the Doctor (from another universe, or a future incarnation, it's a bit vague) might have been Merlin. (Might have been the inspiration behind River Song's ""I hate good wizards in fairy tales. They always turn out to be Him" joke.)

Although deleted, there's a line from "Rememberance of the Daleks" that's kind of interesting.

Davros: In the end, you are merely another Time Lord!

Doctor: Oh Davros, I am far more than just another Time Lord....

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    TBF the McCoy era was already playing around with the Doctor being somewhat more than just a traveling renegade. One episode even implies that an incarnation of the Doctor (from another universe, or a future incarnation, it's a bit vague) might have been Merlin. (Might have been the inspiration behind River Song's ""I hate good wizards in fairy tales. They always turn out to be Him" joke.)

Although deleted, there's a line from "Rememberance of the Daleks" that's kind of interesting.

Yeah, but they never pulled the trigger on any of those thank goodness someone at the BBC back then had a little sense. I recall with the Eight Doctor they wanted him to be an uber special ancient time lord and the Master's bother!
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Yeah, I did not like the way they overcompensated for McCoy's perception as an underwhelming Doctor by suddenly suggesting the Doctor was some awesome mysterious force. That's just not the Doctor, as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    I don't know if Davies will. If he does, it will be done in such a way that you question the validity of what we were told. I think he is too classy to come in and totally undo what the previous writer did (Especially a mate). I think Davies is more likely to just side step it and not reference it. He'll just do a 180 and go off in a different direction.
    I agree, I think it will just not be mentioned much after Chibnall leaves. I don't think there was any reference to War Doctor even during Capaldi's seasons, much less after Moffat left.

I think War appeared in a few flashbacks here/clips and there (Maybe in the Zygon two parter which is a semi-sequel with a pseduo-Moment?) and Twice Upon A Time does mention "The Doctor of War".

He also appears in Jodie's Matrix blast of memories in Timeless children alongside pretty much everything else.

A funny behind the scenes video with the companions of "Stranded 3".

Astonishing Member

Looks like they were kind of going for a slight Indiana Jones tribute as well. Especially the map scene. Also cool that they've kept Jericho around (Who seemed a bit like a jerk at first when he didn't help Clare when she was in distress), at first it seemed like a one-shot deal but then again but when you've got Kevin Mcnally, why not have him on for a bit longer?

Also this kind of moves UNIT's development up by a decade, I think it was generally assumed that it was formed after the Yeti attack and the Dalek civil war/Hand of Omega stuff (Most of this is because of WHO's EU I think). Kind of interesting they largely skipped over the Doctor's time there, avoiding the UNIT dating mess and if he came across the Grand Serpent at any point (Or the future version of his TARDIS)
    Actually, when I was watching the episode, it occurred to me that they can use The Grand Serpent to explain away the discrepancies in the UNIT timeline. We know he can manipulate memory. He is certainly in a position to alter any official documents. Plus it's implied he arranged for personnel to either die or disappear. So yeah, they have an out for that now.

However, this episode created a few problems of its own. The most glaring is stuffing up the rank Lethbridge Stewart should have held.

Astonishing Member

Technically he was more than just another Time Lord. He was Lord President lol.

They teased it, but they were never going to give a concrete origin to the Doctor anyway. Cartmel himself stated the goal was to bring mystery back to the Doctor. You lose that whenever you veer too much in a given direction (like Chibnall has).

https://screenrant.com/doctor-who-45...in-salmon/amp/

Lol ok. Atleast big finish gets a new boxset out of this.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-03-2021 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    https://screenrant.com/doctor-who-45...in-salmon/amp/

Lol ok. Atleast big finish gets a new boxset out of this.
    Interesting to say the least.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

So has earlier timeline Claire met later timeline Doctor yet?