Page 85 of 582 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995135185 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,275 of 8717

And everyone who thought Clara's arm couldn't possibly be that freakishly long just got vindicated!

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    That could mean that Kate was born in 1970--but then that would also mean that "Death in Heaven" takes place in the near future rather than 2014.
    The Tardis Data Core gives the date of "Death in Heaven" as circa 2016. Maybe this date was noted in the episode, I don't remember.

Despite a few disappoints from Death In Heaven, I did enjoy the final overall. After my first viewing, I didn't know what to think of it. At First I was slightly disappointed as this episode Simply didn't live to last weeks cliff hanger. The reason being was because the Cybermen were a huge disappointment in this one; all they ever did was wonder about. They hardly posed as a threat and didn't contribute a lot to the storyline. It's a damn shame, because I love Cybermen and hardly any episode nowadays does them any justice. Even if I do think that this episode is obviouly better then least years Night Mare in Sliver, at last the Cybermen actually did something in that one.

Depite this however, Missy was an excellent Master. I thought that Osgoods death was devastating and that it did a great job of establishing Missy as a dangerous Villian. Plus, I also thought that Danny got the ending that the character deserved. While it was a sad ending for Danny, he got the chance to redeem himself in the end ( sending the kid who he killed back to life ). Finally, Clara also had a good exit as well. Peter Capadi was excellent ( as always ) and I really look forward to what he'll bring to season 9.

Overall, this has been the best season that we've had since season 5.
    I look around at us and you know what I see? Losers... I mean like, folks who have lost stuff. And we have, man, we have, all of us. Homes, and our families, normal lives. And you think life takes more than it gives, but not today. Today it's giving us something. It is giving us a chance.

Retired

With "Dark Water," I didn't believe they were really going to let Danny Pink stay dead for the simple reason he had a rather stupid death. He died while talking on his cell phone--he wasn't looking and he got hit by a car. How stupid is that?

I suppose that they gave him a second, more noble death as a Cyberman--but that wouldn't have been necessary if he had been a bit brighter and looked where he was going in the first place. I find it hard to feel sorry for a character who was so stupid.

All of the Clara and Danny love affair seems to be cobbled together from a playlist of scenes from romantic comedies--everything from WHEN HARRY MET SALLY to HEAVEN CAN WAIT.

On the new DW series, other than Captain Jack--whose orientation may have left him off the hook--the men that meet the Doctor have never been as strong as the women.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Missy disappointed me because she was looney tunes. That aspect of The Master's personality was done to death during Ten. There they gave a reason for it: those Rassilon drums drove him nuts. Here, she's...just a sicko.
    At this point shouldn't s/he be free of the drums? Couldn't they make him/her half way sane again after regenerating? A mix of Delgado and Ainley and, hey, Moriarty (books) would have been wonderful.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    So I just noticed something from Day of the Doctor.

The hand on the frame. If Moffat really was building towards Missy's appearance since the Belle of Saint John, then there's a good chance that Missy escaped the Gallifrey Pocket Universe during Day of the Doctor.
    I was just about to make mention of this having seen it earlier, and if that was indeed an Easter Egg for Missy/The Master, and how he/she was able to escape the Time War after getting sucked back into it during "The End of Time," then Moffat really is one sneaky SOB.
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Anyone else like fan made Doctor Who?

I watched Doctor Who Alternate Empire today and thoroughly enjoyed it... spoilers:
    ok it mixes in Star Wars, Star Trek, DCs Green Lantern and Harry Potter but still really enjoyable.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

The hand on the frame. If Moffat really was building towards Missy's appearance since the Belle of Saint John, then there's a good chance that Missy escaped the Gallifrey Pocket Universe during Day of the Doctor.
    Interesting.

The problem with that of course would be while Gallifrey was besieged the Master had already fled and hidden himself at the end of time as Professor Yana.

Unless we are postulating that he returned to Gallifrey during "The End of Time".

In any case, it is puzzling why the Doctor makes no mention in these latest episodes of the fact that the reason The Master is insane is because the Time Lords deliberately destroyed his sanity
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Art School Dropout View Post
    Watched "The Three Doctors" yesterday for the first time and really enjoyed it. Seeing the Second and Third Doctors interact was great. Unfortunately Hartnell only appears a few times on screen because of health reasons but he steals every scene he's in. The Brigadier's reaction to seeing the two Doctors was priceless. While some of the special effects don't hold up very well I really liked Omega. He's easily one of classic Who's most memorable villains. I though the design of Omega's helmet was pretty cool. The reveal that his physical body had already been destroyed was excellent and when he took off his helmet to reveal nothing there was a really cool visual. This was also my first exposure to Jo Grant who I found pretty likable.
    That story is one of my favorites. I love the chemistry between 2 & 3. Omega was a great villain. I love over the top villains.

I still hope we see Omega in the new series.

Extraordinary Member

Oh....crap. That would explain much.

Extraordinary Member

But it wouldn't actually explain why he's a she.

The Doctor has made references to regenerating as a girl before but I think that is more likely a joke than an actual confirmation.

A more likely explanation is the he used the weird powers obtained from his resurrection to body jump, as he did in The Keeper Of Traaken.

This would not, however, be the first time some long term planning has crept in. The High Council mentions The Doctor Having taken possession of The Moment in The End of Time, but we don't learn its full importance until three years later in Day of the Doctor.
    Last edited by brettc1; 11-11-2014 at 05:38 PM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Retired

I'm not sure I understand the order of events for the Master. At what point does he/she escape from Gallifrey or go back to it?

I was watching--again--COMIC RELIEF's "Doctor Who and the Curse of Fatal Death," from 1999. This was written by Stephen Moffat and came out in the downtime of DOCTOR WHO (though after the Paul McGann TV movie). It's interesting, because even though it's a comedy, it indicates what Moffat would do with the Doctor subsequently.

Rowan Atkinson is 9 (presumably regenerated from the McGann Doctor), Richard E. Grant 10 (and very sexy with the ladies), Jim Broadbent 11 (very shy with the ladies) and Hugh Grant 12 (the companion's ultimate dream of a Doctor). When the 12th Doctor dies, he presumably can't regenerate but against all odds he does regenerate into 13 which is Joanna Lumley.

Jonathan Pryce is the Master, who goes through a series of funny misadventures that age him, but then he gets upgraded with Dalek bumps that look like something else. While Julia Sawalha is Emma (the only companion the Doctor ever had), who hopes to marry the Doctor, if she can get a chance. Both Lumley and Sawalha were on ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS.

Roy Skelton--who voiced Daleks and Cybermen on the classic series--provides the voice for one of the Daleks.

In some respects, I kind of wish this had been in continuity. Both of the Grants are welcome Doctors. And I really like Jonathan Pryce as the Master. In a perfect world, he could have played the Master in the actual series.

Just started listening to the Audio Dramas, since that's the only way I'm really going to experience the Eighth Doctor without novels.

Man, these are REALLY good. I'm surprised. Anyone have some recommendations?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I'm not sure I understand the order of events for the Master. At what point does he/she escape from Gallifrey or go back to it.
    At the climax of The End Of Time, Tennant's finale. He attacks Rassilon (Timothy Dalton) and forces him back through the space bridge. Presumably he is then trapped on Gallifrey as The Doctor's time lock re asserts itself.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    At the climax of The End Of Time, Tennant's finale. He attacks Rassilon (Timothy Dalton) and forces him back through the space bridge. Presumably he is then trapped on Gallifrey as The Doctor's time lock re asserts itself.
    So around the same time as Gallifrey Falls No More (the painting in "Day of the Doctor")--Rassilon and his group are going ahead with their own plan in "The End of Time." The Master has to be pulled back to Gallifrey with Rassilon, but then escape from Gallifrey Falls No More. So it would seem like the Master is back on Gallifrey for only a very short time (maybe only a day if that), before escaping again. And apparently has regenerated or else changed his appearance by some other means.

By the way, I see in "Day of the Doctor" that Clara was already able to close the Tardis' doors with a snap of her fingers. I had forgot that.