Page 388 of 580 FirstFirst ... 288338378384385386387388389390391392398438488 ... LastLast
Results 5,806 to 5,820 of 8689

Consolidated UK figures were less than a million on top of the overnights with episode seven. Just a mere forty thousand higher than Capaldi's lowest viewed episode. I think the figures should bump up for the rest of the run though.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Indian Ink View Post
    Haven't seen number seven yet, but just watched number eight. OVER ALL QUITE GOOD, but a lot of nitpicks; did Mary Shelly and company try to leave the house before getting her baby and only then getting frantic about getting him? They never did explain the animation of dead body parts, and why did these parts replace the baby at one point? (lets just place a jump shock moment without any explained reason for it shall we?) Any maid would know the trick to let a baby suckle on your finger to keep it quiet. Why did the ...........(bad guy) kill the helpless ...... but save the equally harmless ......? Total character assassination against Lord Byron making him a complete double faced coward (Hiding behind a woman no less) whom in actual history later died fighting for Greece's freedom from the Ottoman empire. Finally I'm really not keen on this new mind-meld power the present Doctor has.

One of the better episodes of this series I think, but far from perfect.
    Mary Shelly is also trashed. According to this story she doesn't create her masterpiece at all , she just gets the idea from a cyberman.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel909 View Post
    Mary Shelly is also trashed. According to this story she doesn't create her masterpiece at all , she just gets the idea from a cyberman.
    Yeah that seems to be a problem with a lot of these stories. Historical genius turns out to have been given masterful idea by time traveler or alien.

Even having aliens doing some form of mirroring action during a historical tragedy can have a bit of a cheapening effect. I know they probably don't intend it that way, but that doesn't mean the effect isn't happening.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Indian Ink View Post
    Bug in connection gone so was able to watch seven. Episode was Ok, Syrian dream monsters looked great. Hard to take the dream god fingering everyone's ear seriously. I've noticed an unintended effect of having so many episodes close together dealing with important historical events or emotional issues. Throwing aliens and whatnot into these so often has an effect of making too much light of human adversity or achievement. These episodes need to be spaced out a bit more I think.

Another terrible continuity moment, again with an introduction scene. Syrian girl travels with Doctor to pick up the companions, but we have to believe the Doctor picks each of them up, then they sit down, then the Doctor offhandedly introduces her?! Perhaps the Doctor is socially awkward, but the companions are from modern Britain. They would introduce themselves upon contact. All the writers needed to do was to have an acquaintance moment instead, which can be picked up and dropped and aren't required immediately.

Syrian girl: "So this Britain, it is part of Spain ,yes?"
    Ryan: "It is during the holiday season!"
    Then the Doctor interrupts.

The viewer can fill in the gaps, I can't believe the writers are so cack-handed as to not see this.
    I wanted Syrian girl to stick around, she was great.

So if Jack and the Master also return in the finale I'm curious if they'll meet each other again. Makes me wonder if the Master, by infiltrating MI6, also had a role in getting rid of Torchwood and UNIT, especially considering the latter gave him a lot of trouble.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Wait how does the Mary Shelley story jibe with The Silver Turk?

Looks like maybe the series has been borrowing from it's own EU again-something that it pretty much kind of did from day one (Gallifrey being destroyed happened in the books too. Roger Sherman, Moffat (Blink was originally an annual story) and Paul Cornell wrote their own adaptations of their material though).

One of the coolest things I thought about the Lone cyberman was that it's damaged arm had a Tenth Planet/Mondasian Cyberman look to it. Also the preview for next episode shows the "Cybusmen" design being used again.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 02-18-2020 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Wait how does the Mary Shelley story jibe with The Silver Turk?

I dont think it does. It would have been cool if it was established that Mary Shelley used to travel with the Doctor but they are meeting out of order.

Just had a thought. Although the Daleks are of course the Doctor's #1 enemy, it seems the Cybermen have dealt him more personal blows. They're partially responsible for Rose getting stuck in another dimension. They got one companion killed (Yeah I know the Daleks were partially responsible for Sara Kingdom and Katerina but they weren't really as long-running as Adric), converted a companion's boyfriend (Danny) and a companion (Bill) and have been responsible in part for two regenerations.

Big Finish has a sale on the Eighth Doctor/Mary Shelley stories.

I'm kind of wondering if the Timeless Child thing is going to be something of a "bait and switch" with them promising some reveal about the Doctor's past, but either changing it at the last minute to mean something else or making it just murky enough to still have an air of mystery about the character. It's Doctor "Who" afterall.

It's something we saw, for example, with the Name of the Doctor, with some of the marketing hyping that we would learn it's name, but instead revealing somewhat of the meaning of why he uses "The Doctor" as his name, but also of course revealing his "secret": The War Doctor. Likewise, the hybrid was something not really given a straight answer either; and I doubt that the original series would really have really gone through with the entirety of the Cartmel Masterplan even if it had continued (Even the novel which adapted part of it, "Lungbarrow", still left some lingering mysteries about the Doctor's nature).

Anybody got the feeling that one of the companions might be tempted by cyberconversion? Graham perhaps, because of his age and possible cancer?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I dont think it does. It would have been cool if it was established that Mary Shelley used to travel with the Doctor but they are meeting out of order.
    I gotta agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Anybody got the feeling that one of the companions might be tempted by cyberconversion? Graham perhaps, because of his age and possible cancer?
    That would be interesting.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Looks like maybe the series has been borrowing from it's own EU again-something that it pretty much kind of did from day one (Gallifrey being destroyed happened in the books too. Roger Sherman, Moffat (Blink was originally an annual story) and Paul Cornell wrote their own adaptations of their material though).
    Well, Spyfall made a point about referencing the fact there are multiple universes/realities. Then you had Orphan 55 (which was set in a possible future). I think the EU stuff is absolutely going to factor into the endgame for this series.

Personally, they should just abopt a stance that every story has happened, but the Doctor's travelling back and forth through time constantly alters events. Therefore everything has happened, but also everything hasn't happened.