Page 486 of 581 FirstFirst ... 386436476482483484485486487488489490496536 ... LastLast
Results 7,276 to 7,290 of 8704

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    New?

At this point, nothing would surprise me with RTD's second run on Who. I'm still convinced he's been brought back with a remit from the BBC (or Sony) to make exactly the same show he made before, complete with all of his standard Twihard angst and a handsome young male Doctor for all the fangirls and boys to swoon over whenever he does broody stare #7. That being said, I'm not sure even RTD would be quite so regressive as to even bring back one of his previous Doctors (I mean I say "one of", it's kind of a given that the other one wouldn't wanna come back!).

Also, given that DT is a fan of the show, I would like to think he wouldn't be in favour of taking the series backwards either.
    Usually, I would NEVER be in favor of regressing a show but the Timeless Children retcon needs to go and it never should have been allowed by BBC in the first place. If I were Sony I'd be horrified by the recent drop in popularity of the show. If I paid top dollar for this property I'd want the biggest bang for my buck possible. So, I understand where everyone is coming from.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Question is, if RTD writes the show the same way as before, will it be received positively by anti-sjw types that claim they are fans of the show and want to take it back to where it was in the earlier seasons? My humble opinion is that a lot of his writing would now be called too "woke", for example Planet of the Ood. From what I noticed, a lot of this anti-woke/sjw comments started sometime around 2015, but DW was tackling progressive themes long before that.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    That's true. But I wonder if that would ever happen. I vaguely remember hearing rumblings about a film some years ago but nothing came about so far
    One benefit of having the Timeless Child is unknown Doctors popping up. Cavill seems to have fond more success in TV than in films. So I'd say the Witcher is stopping him from being the Doctor more than the potential pay cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    Question is, if RTD writes the show the same way as before, will it be received positively by anti-sjw types that claim they are fans of the show and want to take it back to where it was in the earlier seasons? My humble opinion is that a lot of his writing would now be called too "woke", for example Planet of the Ood. From what I noticed, a lot of this anti-woke/sjw comments started sometime around 2015, but DW was tackling progressive themes long before that.
    People forget he's a very political writer and he's not as diplomatic as Chibnall or Moffatt. He'd make DJT and his family Slitheens.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-25-2022 at 12:35 PM.

If we have to have a redux of a previous Doctor ... I would rather see McGann get a true run of the show.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Usually, I would NEVER be in favor of regressing a show but the Timeless Children retcon needs to go and it never should have been allowed by BBC in the first place. If I were Sony I'd be horrified by the recent drop in popularity of the show. If I paid top dollar for this property I'd want the biggest bang for my buck possible. So, I understand where everyone is coming from.
    Allowed? Yeah, I don't even know where to start with that one. Honestly though, even if RTD isn't a fan of the arc, I don't think even he is gonna come in and completely dismantle everything Chibs has done. Least of all, just because some "fans" don't get it. Besides which, the beauty of the Timeless Child arc is that it can be ignored if RTD chooses to. The whole point of it was that it had no impact on the Doctor's established history as we (and she) experienced it. All it did was add a big new sandbox for people to play in BEFORE all of that, if they should want to.

I will forever be baffled how anyone could think that's a bad thing.

As for "recent drop", how are you defining recent? Because the decline in ratings over the last three series is still less than the more significant drop that occurred during Peter's era. Now, whether that was down to viewer fatigue or the absence of a young and pretty Doctor, I don't know. But it remains something that began long before Chibs ever got near the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    See, that's the thing. Chibnall's Who hasn't really been any more supposedly 'woke' or 'sjw' than it ever was, even before New Who.

What actually changed was society and the balance of politics out here in the "real" world. Which, as soon as a woman was cast as the Doc', raised a red flag to the kind of people that basically label everything as woke if the lead character isn't a straight, white male - or has significant character(s) in it who also don't fit that description. Honestly, can you imagine if Xena had came out now instead of in the 90's? A show about a woman who's basically awesome at everything, regularly kicking the asses of countless inferior men? It would be decried as "snowflake woke garbage" before she even throws her first chakram.

I mean, just look at Rose. In the very first episode of New Who, the main character is arguably a woman, who does most of the groundwork, saves the Doctor's life, takes out the bad guys and who gets no help at all from her weak and useless boyfriend. If Chibs had written an episode like that today, the same people constantly bemoaning how "woke" the show is now would have had a major conniption!
    "The rules of regeneration are known!"

"Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"

Louder for the people in the back.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

A collection of Big Finish boxsets for 2022

https://nerdvanamedia.com/television...riends/156813/

9th Doctor volume has 9 reunite with an older Brig and a new UNIT team.

It would've been cool if the other two stories had the same angle but I'll take it.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-25-2022 at 02:38 PM.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

So far according to everything the BCC has neither denied these rumors or confirmed them. They likely know how this could drive interest to the property and its best to keep people guessing awhile. I still believe they should make the entire crew sign NDA's , secretly go about casting the next Doctor and keep it as much a secret as possible. Film the regeneration scene away privately where no one can see it.

That night have everyone guessing until the reveal of whoever it is. Make it a WHO WILL IT BE ?
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    So far according to everything the BCC has neither denied these rumors or confirmed them. They likely know how this could drive interest to the property and its best to keep people guessing awhile. I still believe they should make the entire crew sign NDA's , secretly go about casting the next Doctor and keep it as much a secret as possible. Film the regeneration scene away privately where no one can see it.

That night have everyone guessing until the reveal of whoever it is. Make it a WHO WILL IT BE ?
    You need to read up on NDAs in British filming.

They are heavily abused and BBC has started NOT using them.

The 'gap' between Doctors has always been a time heavy with speculation, false alarms, etc. I think in the RTD/Moffat era the guesses were reasonably close within a week, although some were pretty sure Patterson Joseph would be 11, and of course The Next Doctor special, while it was filming, kind of threw some people off the "scent". I think that Moffat hinted at a female Doctor in "Doctor falls"- (Is the future all girl? Let's hope so!") but I'm not sure if Moffat knew at that point.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Allowed? Yeah, I don't even know where to start with that one. Honestly though, even if RTD isn't a fan of the arc, I don't think even he is gonna come in and completely dismantle everything Chibs has done. Least of all, just because some "fans" don't get it. Besides which, the beauty of the Timeless Child arc is that it can be ignored if RTD chooses to. The whole point of it was that it had no impact on the Doctor's established history as we (and she) experienced it. All it did was add a big new sandbox for people to play in BEFORE all of that, if they should want to.

I will forever be baffled how anyone could think that's a bad thing...
    Okay, I'll tell you why I think it is a VERY BAD THING. Many long-term fans prefer a wandering vagabond who saw the suffering of the universe setting themselves apart from their kind rather than a special from the start Space Jesus trope (so damn lazy). I prefer characters who become great rather than those who are born great, the former tend to be more interesting and relatable.
    Last edited by Celgress; 01-25-2022 at 09:41 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Okay, I'll tell you why I think it is a VERY BAD THING. Many long-term fans prefer a wandering vagabond who saw the suffering of the universe setting themselves apart from their kind rather than a special from the start Space Jesus trope. I prefer characters who become great rather than those who are born great, the former tend to be more interesting and relatable.
    But if the character had no memory of it? At all? Literally nothing about the Doctor has changed, in terms of choices made or paths chosen.

Hell, I'm not a fan of Chibnall's Who, but even I chuckle when I think back to The Doctor's Wife and the assertion that it was the TARDIS that stole the Doctor. Because Chibnall's story actually makes that a realistic possibility. And sometimes it's fun to tease ideas like that.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    But if the character had no memory of it? At all? Literally nothing about the Doctor has changed, in terms of choices made or paths chosen.

Hell, I'm not a fan of Chibnall's Who, but even I chuckle when I think back to The Doctor's Wife and the assertion that it was the TARDIS that stole the Doctor. Because Chibnall's story actually makes that a realistic possibility. And sometimes it's fun to tease ideas like that.
    Yeah, but I know and it ruins the Doctor for me and a lot of other fans on some level. I don't want the Doctor to be Space Jesus any more than I wanted Anakin Skywalker/Vader to be in the Star Wars prequels. My greatest hope is this story gets retconned so it was the Master all along or a hoax. I'm sorry but it very much bothers me that Chibs tried to turn the Doctor into Harry Potter.

"We're all stories in the end."
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Allowed?
    See, that's the thing. Chibnall's Who hasn't really been any more supposedly 'woke' or 'sjw' than it ever was, even before New Who.

What actually changed was society and the balance of politics out here in the "real" world. Which, as soon as a woman was cast as the Doc', raised a red flag to the kind of people that basically label everything as woke if the lead character isn't a straight, white male - or has significant character(s) in it who also don't fit that description. Honestly, can you imagine if Xena had came out now instead of in the 90's? A show about a woman who's basically awesome at everything, regularly kicking the asses of countless inferior men? It would be decried as "snowflake woke garbage" before she even throws her first chakram.

I mean, just look at Rose. In the very first episode of New Who, the main character is arguably a woman, who does most of the groundwork, saves the Doctor's life, takes out the bad guys and who gets no help at all from her weak and useless boyfriend. If Chibs had written an episode like that today, the same people constantly bemoaning how "woke" the show is now would have had a major conniption!
    Quoted for the truth.