Page 579 of 581 FirstFirst ... 79479529569575576577578579580581 LastLast
Results 8,671 to 8,685 of 8711

Probably controversial take but I like the Moffat era over the RTD era. To put in perspective the 11th Doctor era is the only Doctor era that I like all the episodes and even mini episodes. Were all other Doctors eras with the exception of 8 who only had on film the tv movie until Night of the Doctor and Power of the Doctor, but all the rest have episodes that are either hard to watch or flat-out unwatchable to me.

I generally liked his era although I thought season 6 (with a few exceptions-The Doctor's Wife) was a downturn in quality from season 5-the whole River arc was generally confusing, wasted some potential/rushed etc.

I know others don't like season 7 as much but I enjoyed it a lot, apart from some iffy stuff like Nightmare in Silver (and does anybody even really remember 'Hide" or "Crimson horror"?)

Season 8 was a bit meh, Capaldi isn't quite as likable as later seasons, Into the Dalek is too much "New who Dalek's greatest hits", Kill the Moon/Forest of the Night are pretty bad; ends strongly with Cybermen and Missy though.

Loved season 9 and 10 though.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Last edited by ChrisIII; 03-20-2024 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Probably controversial take but I like the Moffat era over the RTD era. To put in perspective the 11th Doctor era is the only Doctor era that I like all the episodes and even mini episodes. Were all other Doctors eras with the exception of 8 who only had on film the tv movie until Night of the Doctor and Power of the Doctor, but all the rest have episodes that are either hard to watch or flat-out unwatchable to me.
    I agree here, although part of it may be that Davies had to deal with earlier CGI.

I did really like the Eleventh and Twelfth Doctors.

I also liked Moffat's writing in Jekyll, Coupling and Sherlock.

He seems to have a very similar to Dan Slott on Spider-Man, which I also enjoyed immensely, even if some fans did not.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Ncuti was at the Oscars for the "Just Ken" number.
    They got him just at the moment when he had an impressive resume, but wasn't so much of a superstar that doing Doctor Who would be a step down.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Moffat likewise had the advantage of the program going full HD as well (RTD season 1-4 is on blu-ray but upscaled; only the final few 2009/2010 specials were HD).

Think I commented a while during the flashback scenes in Star Beast the CG shot of the Adipose ship from Partners In Crime looked very low res.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 03-20-2024 at 06:37 PM.

I'm relistening to Ravenous, and I feel the Krampus 2 parter in Ravenous would be something Gatwa's era should try to replicate.

So far, his era seems to be the doctor dealing with magic and stories coming real. It felt like a good fit to me.

download.jpeg

There's supposed to be a new trailer for season 1/14 tomorrow. Probably a more extended version of the recent Disney+ one.

The new trailer.

A few notes:

-Lots of UNIT it seems.

-Regency episode has a hologram of Tennant although it's kind of hard to tell if it's Tenth or Fourteenth. Maybe just one of those stories where they go over the Doctor's prior faces (including classic ones) like Eleventh Hour, multiple Dalek stories etc. or could have some deeper meaning. Sort of fuels the Master speculation as well.

-Dinosaurs again (Brachiosaurs) and also a Butterfly. The "alien" is reptilian, could be perhaps another new species of Silurian perhaps with antennae? Maybe we'll see them before they take to the caves? Genesis of the Silurians perhaps?

-A ruined London, but with the Doctor and Ruby in the same outfits as the Beatles episode. Given the Doctor's narration, it's possible this is a bit of a modern play on the famous "Pyramid of Mars" sequence, where the Doctor returns to 1980 (Unit dating aside) and shows that the world will be destroyed in the present/future if they don't stop the evil they're confronting now.

-At least one of the regency characters is some bird alien in disguise.

-A possibly abandoned TARDIS growing into the scenery on a hill that kind of looks like the one where 13 regenerated into 14. While it could be the Doctor's, wasn't the last shape of the Master's Tardis also a police box?

Looks good I wonder if the destroyed London could be cold war related.

Like the Beatles/their music (or Lennon specifically?) having an effect on causing the war not to escalate, with the villain perhaps trying to change things so their music never happens?

Just hope it's not something like the Mary Shelley/Cybermen where the Doctor gave the lone Cyberman what he wanted in part because she didn't want the world to be deprived of Shelley/Frankenstein? (I'm not sure if that's exactly how it went, it's been a while since I've seen the episode to be honest).
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 03-22-2024 at 12:12 PM.

Watched the Daleks in Colour. The music is....interesting, it seems like for the most part Ayres was trying to kind of cover all the eras of Doctor Who music-wise, there's parts that sound like Dudley Simpson's Fourth Doctor music or the more electronic-sounding 80s but the majority of it seems to be similar to Gold's approach (to interest modern viewers).

Also it's quite clear when Briggs is doing the Dalek voices as opposed to the 60's versions which were modulated differently and sound a bit deeper.

The editing was OK although the flashback moments are sort of annoying. I'm surprised they didn't flash back to Unearthy Child to explain who

The image quality is inconsistent with the colors but I think that's because certain Doctor Who episodes were preserved better (To use another example, there's one episode of The Daemons that looks much better than the other episodes, even with their restorations) than others so it's more noticeable the quality here when they're smooshed together. Some of the Dalek city colors do seem a bit *too* colorful especially when contrasted with the Daleks themselves and the mostly flatly colored bases they have later on.

Love the trailer. And the "Oh my Bridgerton" line cracked me up.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Fun YouTuber video on their own Dr. Who head canon idea and the Shepherd's Boy rendition at the end is Fantastic.

Relistening to Ravenous 3, I liked the concept of the titular villian. Big Finish was creating villians for the 8th Doctor to face.

So according to David Collings who was one of the Vogans in Revenge of the Cybermen, the masks for the Vogan extras were made out of a face mask of Arnold Ridley from Dad's army.

Arnold Ridley is the granduncle of Daisy Ridley, of Star Wars of course.