Page 399 of 581 FirstFirst ... 299349389395396397398399400401402403409449499 ... LastLast
Results 5,971 to 5,985 of 8709

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Yikers. XD

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Jodie has done a fine job with what she's been given.
    I do not agree with your 'point to make over good storytelling' line, though. Doctor Who has been VERY blatant about making political and social commentary throughout it's entire run. It has never been subtle about it.
    Galaxy 4 - sexism
    Sun Makers - taxation and greed
    Anything to do with the Daleks - fascism.
    Vengeance on Varos - dangers of a disengaged and ignorant populace/electronic entertainment
    Green Death - environment
    Inferno - environment

It's not about having a message. It is, I'm afraid, all about poor storytelling - and that's the main issue with Chibnall's run so far. The scripts themselves have not been well written.
    And the continued budget cuts aren't helping either.
    Happiness Patrol was a commentary of the then Thatcher Government. The show is absolutely riddled with social commentary. Largely because it often deals with Science fiction concepts. Most of which are reflective of society and the impact science may have on it. The Tenth Planet can be seen as a commentary on prosthetics and cybernetic enhancement.

Back on topic, the revived series has seen some of the worst writing in my opinion. Orphan 55 was the prime example this series (which was laughably bad). Then there was Kill The Moon in Capaldi's era. If you are going to do science fiction related stories, you need to abide by the laws of the particular science you are dealing with.

Budget cuts are a pain, but the show is used to it. Actually working with a reduced budget may benefit the show by forcing more ingenuity from the writers. Rather than the over-reliance on CGI we have been getting.
    Last edited by Somecrazyaussie; 03-10-2020 at 07:20 PM.

Your points are well taken.
    That being said, the classic series had some absolute stinkers as well.
    The Twin Dilemma and Time and the Rani spring to mind as obvious examples.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    If there ever is an american version of Doctor who, he should join just to spite them.

In other news, Big Finish released the Donna Noble spinoff.

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?artic...dup-march-2020
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 03-11-2020 at 09:27 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Your points are well taken.
    That being said, the classic series had some absolute stinkers as well.
    The Twin Dilemma and Time and the Rani spring to mind as obvious examples.
    True, yes. But for the most part, they usually wrote stories where the science fiction was plausible (many of them read New Scientist for example). Orphan 55 wasn't just bad science fiction. It was bad fiction in general. That is one aspect of the show that is really bugging me these days. The sonic screwdriver is basically a magic wand at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Happiness Patrol was a commentary of the then Thatcher Government. The show is absolutely riddled with social commentary. Largely because it often deals with Science fiction concepts. Most of which are reflective of society and the impact science may have on it. The Tenth Planet can be seen as a commentary on prosthetics and cybernetic enhancement.

Back on topic, the revived series has seen some of the worst writing in my opinion. Orphan 55 was the prime example this series (which was laughably bad). Then there was Kill The Moon in Capaldi's era. If you are going to do science fiction related stories, you need to abide by the laws of the particular science you are dealing with.

Budget cuts are a pain, but the show is used to it. Actually working with a reduced budget may benefit the show by forcing more ingenuity from the writers. Rather than the over-reliance on CGI we have been getting.
    I'm just going to sheepishly admit that I liked Love & Monsters overall. Certainly not in the top half of episodes in the revived series by any stretch, and it has its obvious faults, but I didn't think it was as horrible as most fans took it.

...I'll see myself out now.

Lightbulb

Another great video critique of the Series Twelve Final and some possible ways to constructively fix the damage Chibs' hubris has wrought -

"So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Another great video critique of the Series Twelve Final and some possible ways to constructively fix the damage Chibs' hubris has wrought -

It is pretty easy to fix. Either The Master lied, The Matrix was tampered with, or they are false memories implanted by The Time Lords. Quick, clean and convenient.

Still, we don't exact know what Chibnall is going to do with the reveal next series. The guy could just as easily "fix it" himself.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I'm just going to sheepishly admit that I liked Love & Monsters overall. Certainly not in the top half of episodes in the revived series by any stretch, and it has its obvious faults, but I didn't think it was as horrible as most fans took it.

...I'll see myself out now.
    I can watch Love & Monsters. Have done so many times. It isn't necessarily my favourite, but at least it is watchable and makes sense.
    Last edited by Somecrazyaussie; 03-14-2020 at 03:46 PM.

The Matrix was tampered with/censored/deceptively edited a bit in Trial of a Time Lord if I recall. (It also for some reason could just be physically walked into, whereas every other appearance including the latest had some mental hookup). Also despite having a lot of time lord memories it can of course be used to create all kinds of weird illusions/simulations etc. (The "Brendan" stuff for example). Missy of course used stolen Matrix tech to create "Heaven"/Nethersphere.

Speaking of which, the semi-cliffhanger ending to TOATL where it appears that the Valeyard had replaced the Keeper of the Matrix was never really followed up, apart from the novels, audios and comics, but I'm not sure Chibnall would bring him back in any way-after all, there's that old TV interview where he wasn't too pleased with Trial of a Time Lord. Moffat name-dropped the Valeyard twice, and we had a "Dark Doctor" of sorts in the Dream Lord, but that was it.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 03-13-2020 at 01:51 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    If there ever is an american version of Doctor who, he should join just to spite them.

In other news, Big Finish released the Donna Noble spinoff.

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?artic...dup-march-2020
    So has he applied to Legends of Tomarrow yet?

Gustaff in his review on doctorwhotv.co.uk points the question: "How did the Master deduce that the Doctor is the Timeless Child if all records after the regeneration legend had been redacted?" He only knows the Timeless Child exists, not whom he/she is now.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    The Matrix was tampered with/censored/deceptively edited a bit in Trial of a Time Lord if I recall. (It also for some reason could just be physically walked into, whereas every other appearance including the latest had some mental hookup). Also despite having a lot of time lord memories it can of course be used to create all kinds of weird illusions/simulations etc. (The "Brendan" stuff for example). Missy of course used stolen Matrix tech to create "Heaven"/Nethersphere.

Speaking of which, the semi-cliffhanger ending to TOATL where it appears that the Valeyard had replaced the Keeper of the Matrix was never really followed up, apart from the novels, audios and comics, but I'm not sure Chibnall would bring him back in any way-after all, there's that old TV interview where he wasn't too pleased with Trial of a Time Lord. Moffat name-dropped the Valeyard twice, and we had a "Dark Doctor" of sorts in the Dream Lord, but that was it.
    The Valeyard is gone. He was taken out in The Brink Of Death.

But yes, The Matrix has been tampered with multiple times already. The Master has hacked it that many times it is a running gag at this point.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Indian Ink View Post
    Gustaff in his review on doctorwhotv.co.uk points the question: "How did the Master deduce that the Doctor is the Timeless Child if all records after the regeneration legend had been redacted?" He only knows the Timeless Child exists, not whom he/she is now.
    Exactly. The whole thing can be retconned later on with that precise explanation.