Page 100 of 581 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104110150200 ... LastLast
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 8710
    Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Could an argument be made that, immediately following their escape from Gallifrey in the TARDIS, the Doctor and Susan were suffering some sort of post-traumatic shock?

I say this because, in the early episodes, the Doctor has trouble remembering things, his mind seems scrambled, and he's physically weak--while Suan's nerves seem to be shot, as the slightest thing can set her off with screaming fits, and despite her superior intelligence she often acts like a complete idiot.

One wonders what the Time Lords did to these two.
    There have been various stories which have explored this period, such as the audio drama The Beginning, but there's been nothing to suggest they affected by PTSD or anything like that. But it's an interesting theory and would be, if given a good writer, a good thing to see.
    Films blog / Books blog / Comics blog / Tumblr / Twitter / Flickr / Photobucket / Dailymotion / YouTube
    My BFI Film Academy short film Hold-Out
    Review column on Doctor Who fansite kasterborous.com
    CBR's LGBT Community

Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy Baxter View Post
    BTW, I don't know Forum Etiquette. So if I'm posting too much or posting "incorrectly" please let me know.

I've been trying to teach myself Photoshop for a while now, and generally use Doctor Who as a practicing board...

Definitely dig this one, and it keeps in line with the Ninth Doctor we see in Rose who seemingly pops up at random instances in history.
    Films blog / Books blog / Comics blog / Tumblr / Twitter / Flickr / Photobucket / Dailymotion / YouTube
    My BFI Film Academy short film Hold-Out
    Review column on Doctor Who fansite kasterborous.com
    CBR's LGBT Community

A rather neat essay that defends and gives a possible explanation about 12's massive personality shift after he regenerated from 11.

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/fall-of...o-be-72088.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    A rather neat essay that defends and gives a possible explanation about 12's massive personality shift after he regenerated from 11.

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/fall-of...o-be-72088.htm
    Interesting. Kudos for the share.

Do you agree with it yourself, or a different theory?

If there are any alternate theories I'd really like to hear them, but honestly the way its presented here...something about it just makes sense. Some of the comments in that same page also do bring up a good point if you look back. The specific environment and circumstances throughout each regen does effect the succeeding one.

Let's look at the New Who Doctors:

War-9: Time War trauma as War caused 9 to start out embittered and shaken.
    9-10: 9's adventures with Rose, specifically the Bad Wolf finale stuff, caused 10 to be more romantic towards companions, Rose especially.
    10-11: 10 regenerating alone and unwilling caused 11 to be friendlier towards companions
    11-12: Explained in the article.

One could make the case for Classic Doctors as well.

1-2: 1's crotchety behavior, supported by his last adventures defrosting a bit, caused 2 to be younger, happier, and sillier.
    2-3: 2's trial and forced regeneration caused 3 to be more authoritarian
    3-4: 3's time working in authority and straight sense of justice caused 4 to be a bit more anti-authority and slightly out there.
    4-5: 4's longevity and the thing's he's seen, taking part in many stories, caused 5 to be the youngest at this point and be more of a pacifist
    5-6: 5's kindness, willingness to save Peri, and the Spectrox, caused 6 to be madder, grander and more eager to throw himself into the fray. Also may or may not have something to do with Maxil shooting 5.
    6-7: Not sure. If we go just by TV, we can't tell, so maybe we gotta wait for the Big Finish coming this year.
    7-8: 7's chessmaster attitude, duplicity and guile, and possibly being alone in the TV movie, caused 8 to be romantic and full of life.
    8-War: Stuff that happens in Big Finish, plus the events of Night of the Doctor.

If there are any alternate theories I'd really like to hear them, but honestly the way its presented here...something about it just makes sense. Some of the comments in that same page also do bring up a good point if you look back. The specific environment and circumstances throughout each regen does effect the succeeding one.

9-10: 9's adventures with Rose, specifically the Bad Wolf finale stuff, caused 10 to be more romantic towards companions, Rose especially.
    10-11: 10 regenerating alone and unwilling caused 11 to be friendlier towards companions

1-2: 1's crotchety behavior, supported by his last adventures defrosting a bit, caused 2 to be younger, happier, and sillier.
    3-4: 3's time working in authority and straight sense of justice caused 4 to be a bit more anti-authority and slightly out there.
    4-5: 4's longevity and the thing's he's seen, taking part in many stories, caused 5 to be the youngest at this point and be more of a pacifist
    5-6: 5's kindness, willingness to save Peri, and the Spectrox, caused 6 to be madder, grander and more eager to throw himself into the fray. Also may or may not have something to do with Maxil shooting 5.
    6-7: Not sure. If we go just by TV, we can't tell, so maybe we gotta wait for the Big Finish coming this year.
    7-8: 7's chessmaster attitude, duplicity and guile, and possibly being alone in the TV movie, caused 8 to be romantic and full of life.
    8-War: Stuff that happens in Big Finish, plus the events of Night of the Doctor.
    I don't understand your reasoning for why Tens' regeneration surroundings made Eleven how he was, or Five how he was, making Six how he was, but the others mostly make sense, are well enough thought out, observed, so good on you.

Retired

There's a bit of a problem in the first episode that introduces the Ninth Doctor and that starts the new series. In there, when he sees himself in the mirror, he makes a remark about the ears. People take it that Nine has just newly regenerated (in hindsight, just after the events of the Time War shown in The Day of the Doctor). Yet we also see in Rose that the Ninth Doctor has shown up all over the place in human history--which suggests that Nine has been around for a very long time.

My solution to this seeming contradiction is that, when we first see the Doctor, he has newly regenerated. At some point during the Rose episode, when he's not on screen, Nine has gone off in the TARDIS and had a bit of a grand tour of space-time [this seems like something that each new regeneration does at both the beginning and the end of his cycle]. So later in the same episode, a lot of time has passed for the Doctor, while little has passed for Rose.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    There's a bit of a problem in the first episode that introduces the Ninth Doctor and that starts the new series. In there, when he sees himself in the mirror, he makes a remark about the ears. People take it that Nine has just newly regenerated (in hindsight, just after the events of the Time War shown in The Day of the Doctor). Yet we also see in Rose that the Ninth Doctor has shown up all over the place in human history--which suggests that Nine has been around for a very long time.

My solution to this seeming contradiction is that, when we first see the Doctor, he has newly regenerated. At some point during the Rose episode, when he's not on screen, Nine has gone off in the TARDIS and had a bit of a grand tour of space-time [this seems like something that each new regeneration does at both the beginning and the end of his cycle]. So later in the same episode, a lot of time has passed for the Doctor, while little has passed for Rose.
    I agree there, whether during Rose or not.

A slapshod, quickfire tour, and then what we saw in Rose.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Fan video of TARDIS demarterializing (from it's point of view.)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNEjx6XUbfQ

I'm awed....not to mention a tad dizzy. Bloody fantastic job!
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Retired

While I'm awed by what fans can do these days, that video only makes me think about how the Tardis really travels. I'm sure that others have talked about this an astronomically high number of times, but are we really to believe that the Tardis is a police box travelling through time? That's how it appears, but since it is warping space and time, it probably has no perceptible form. It's only when it's somewhere that someone can perceive it as a police box. So most of the shots of the Tardis spinning through time and space are just symbolic. We're watching a metaphor not a literal depiction of the Tardis.

No, it is what it actually looks like when it's travelling both in real SpaceTime or the Time Vortex. The outer plasmic shell is the only part of the TARDIS that exists as a real SpaceTime event in our Universe - the internal dimensions are, for all intents and purposes, a pocket universe of its own.

Think of the outer shell being little more than a glorified doorway to the rest of the craft.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

All-New Member

Still a relatively new fan, Eccleston was my first and favorite but I'm immersing myself in all things Whovian whenever possible. So much so that I just started a kickstarter campaign to create a Life Size Replica TARDIS that actually flies, with the hopes of sharing it with all Doctor Who fans. Last year we showed our half site unit with Titan Comics at our Doctor Who Day Event to rave review so I can;t wait to show the Life Size unit this year!

I hope you don't mind me sharing this here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-flying-tardis

Thanks,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Comickaze View Post
    Still a relatively new fan, Eccleston was my first and favorite but I'm immersing myself in all things Whovian whenever possible. So much so that I just started a kickstarter campaign to create a Life Size Replica TARDIS that actually flies, with the hopes of sharing it with all Doctor Who fans. Last year we showed our half site unit with Titan Comics at our Doctor Who Day Event to rave review so I can;t wait to show the Life Size unit this year!

I hope you don't mind me sharing this here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-flying-tardis

Thanks,
    Robert
    You're very welcome here, Comickaze.

I hope you stick around for Season 9, whenever that is, and remember to check out Amazon, for any Specials, or Seasons, you're missing.

Just ask, and we'll happily help you.

Would happily recommend current Titan Comics, on Doctor Who, be it Twelfth Doctor, Eleventh or Tenth.

Likely Nine out there too.

Although I wouldn't say the regeneration specifically influences the next Doctor, I think you can definitely say that (most if not) all the Doctor's personalities are reflexes against the previous.
    First is grumpy and short-tempered, Second is smarmy and prone to hysterics.
    Second is anti-authoritarian, Third is super-authoritarian.
    Third is pretty serious and erudite, Fourth is subversive and mocking.
    Fourth (by the end especially) is distant and enigmatic, Fifth is young and approachable.
    Fifth is optimistic and naive, Sixth is paranoid and aggressive.
    Sixth is self-aggrandising and brash, Seventh is unassuming and (relatively) discreet.
    Seventh is manipulative and cunning, Eighth is up-front and unprepared (especially in the novels).
    Ninth is bitter and misanthropic, Tenth is enthusiastic and manic.
    Tenth is a bit smug and has seen everything before, Eleventh is more willing to be impressed.
    Eleventh is quite child-like, at first glance, Twelfth is initially sombre and staid.

But I'd chalk this up to the writers wanting a change and trying to distinguish the new Doctor from the previous.

Which makes it all the more infuriating when there are those folks who quit the show because they can't stand the personality of the new Doctor and want the previous one back.

If they really like the show, shouldn't they know to accept the new Doctor since personality change and regens are an integral part of the show?