Page 103 of 581 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113153203 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 8715

Does anyone know if Susan is a Time Lord or just a regular Gallifreyan?

http://www.cultbox.co.uk/news/headli...nion-to-return

Carole Ann Ford should come back while she still can.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    Does anyone know if Susan is a Time Lord or just a regular Gallifreyan?

http://www.cultbox.co.uk/news/headli...nion-to-return

Carole Ann Ford should come back while she still can.
    What do you think? It seems to be a question that is up in the air and can go either way. But she has been featured on a few audio stories.

I'd like to see her brought back and then regenerate into a new version of herself like they did with Yana. But I don't think Carole Ann Ford should be around for too long. She's getting on in years and she was never the best actress, I have to say.

Watching the early DOCTOR WHO--as I am right now--her character is pretty hard to take. But maybe this would be a chance for Carole Ann Ford to redeem poor Susan.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Watching the early DOCTOR WHO--as I am right now--her character is pretty hard to take. But maybe this would be a chance for Carole Ann Ford to redeem poor Susan.
    She's far more sound of a character in Big Finish audios.

And they've went and cast Rebbeca Front in series nine

http://www.theguardian.com/media/201...capaldi-zygons

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Titan Comics to release five issue summer event Doctor Who: Four Doctors!

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2015/05...doctors-1.html

Titan Comics has released the first six pages from issue #1 of Doctor Who: Four Doctors, the Summer event coming this August.

The weekly event, running through August and September 2015, stars the Tenth, Eleventh and Twelfth Doctors and their comics companion, as well as the War Doctor, in a special adventure written by Paul Cornell and illustrated by Neil Edwards.

The first issue is released Wednesday August 12, supported by the global Doctor Who Comics Day on Saturday August 15.

The e​vent follows straight on from the issue #15 conclusions of Year One, with the second years of the Tenth, Eleventh and Twelfth Doctors beginning after the event's finale.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

A bit iffy on the art. The updated Voord look kind of cool, but the likenesses of Hurt, Capaldi and Coleman look a bit weird. There's a certain weariness to both the Doctors that the art doesn't seem to convey, and Clara almost looks like Megan Fox.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    A bit iffy on the art. The updated Voord look kind of cool, but the likenesses of Hurt, Capaldi and Coleman look a bit weird. There's a certain weariness to both the Doctors that the art doesn't seem to convey, and Clara almost looks like Megan Fox.
    Nah, the Voord are just so cool that they suck the coolness out of everyone else.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    Nah, the Voord are just so cool that they suck the coolness out of everyone else.
    According to a comic strip written by Grant Morrison years back, they were prequel Cybermen

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Threads View Post
    According to a comic strip written by Grant Morrison years back, they were prequel Cybermen
    I think IDW actually reprinted The World Shapers not too long ago. It's a pretty good story featuring the Sixth Doctor and the return of the the Second Doctor companion Jamie for those who haven't read it yet. Definitely worth checking out.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Astronaut View Post
    I think IDW actually reprinted The World Shapers not too long ago. It's a pretty good story featuring the Sixth Doctor and the return of the the Second Doctor companion Jamie for those who haven't read it yet. Definitely worth checking out.
    I got it in the big Sixth Doctor trades put out by Panini some years back. I wish Big Finish would wrangle through the rights dilemmas and adapt the old Marvel strips since they've done a couple of original pieces with Frobisher from them. Just imagine something like "Voyager" realized in that format.

BANNED

Speaking of Big Finish, Ingrid Oliver (Osgood) will be part of that range's new UNIT series

BANNED

So has anyone over in the UK read the comic strip in DWM lately? Jaquelyn Rayner has been the guest writer for the last couple of months, and her story involves Clara actually meeting one of her splintered doubles, who does not take the fact she is destined to die to save The Doctor too well. She seemingly goes bad at the end of the current chapter, but that may be a ploy, we'll find out in another week or so when the story concludes.

Finished watching Season 15 over the last couple months. It's another really solid season and I'm surprised there were so many consecutively good episodes.

"Horror of Fang Rock" was a cracking good start to the season. I really like the creepy lighthouse setting, the characters were good and the alien threat was menacing. Interestingly Leela's eyes change color for the rest of the series after witnessing the explosion of the Rutan mother ship at the end of the serial. My only complaint (which actually isn't a criticism of the episode) is that I wish the Ruton Host were used more throughout the series. They are an interesting villain and it's a shame that this is their only TV appearance. I really like the design even though the effects here aren't the greatest they work well enough. I would also love to see more of their ongoing war with the Sontarans.

"The Invisible Enemy" contains some pretty solid special effects model work for the outerspace scenes. This episode also sees the return of the normal TARDIS console and introduces K-9 as a companion. The story really starts to get fun when clones of The Doctor and Leela and shrunken down and injected into The Doctor who has been infected with an alien virus that threatens to take over his mind. The Nucleus monster costume is absolutely ridiculous and hilariously looks like a giant shrimp. Aside from that this was a decent serial with some good laughs.

"Image of the Fendahl" starts with an interesting mystery about a skull that scientist say can't exist because it's millions of years older than man's earliest ancestors. When the skull starts to glow it drains the life from people. A fantastic serial they really nail the eerie mood throughout. The doctor offering the skull a jelly baby had me cracking up with laughter. The actress who plays the old lady gives an excellent performance. The Fendahl giant space slugs were kind of goofy looking but still pretty cool. Love the explosion at the end.

"The Sun Makers" I couldn't help but laugh at K-9 and the Doctor playing chess. The serial is a solid dystopia story where the company has created artificial suns that allow humans to colonize Pluto. The ruling elite oppress the people with excessive work hours and high taxes even using gas to control people's emotions and keep them docile. There's some interesting commentary on classism as the Doctor helps a group of revolutionaries to overthrow the company.

"Underworld" is an allegory for the Jason and the Argonauts myth about the Quest for the Golden Fleece. There are lots of green screens used in this because of budget restraints like the cave scenes and the zero gravity descent. The actual interior sets looked good though. I really like the design of the Shield guns and the Minyan's campy space suits were fun. The Citadel sacrifice scene was pretty creepy. I liked the reveal of the Seers' faces and the weird three-eyed design. The escape from the exploding planet inside the spiral nebula made for an exciting climax.

"The Invasion of Time" Tom Baker gives an excellent performance in this. The Doctor returns to Gallifrey, becomes President (which is a call back to last season in "The Deadly Assassin") and allows a race of telepathic aliens to invade in order to destroy them. The Vardans special effects look cheap and are pretty silly. Still the story is quite interesting and there is some mythology building regarding Gallifrey and Rassilon like introducing the De-mat Gun which can only be powered by the Great Key of Rassilon. I was happy to see the Sontarans show up. The climax is an exciting chase through the TARDIS interior and it was nice to get a look at the different rooms and corridors. This serial also marks the departure of Leela as a regular companion as she stays behind on Gallifrey.

Retired

At the rate I'm going, it'll be several years before I get back around to watching the Tom Baker Doctor again.

About Susan and Carole Ann Ford, I meant to say before that the first version of Susan Foreman I saw was Roberta Tovey in the DR. WHO movie. Having seen her splendid version of Susan, it's much harder to take Carole Ann Ford. And Tovey was just a child actress! But the way she plays it is brilliant. She seems to know quite a lot about the TARDIS and she has a lot of pluck.

Somehow, some way, I'd like to think that Tovey was one of the incarnations of the Susan. Maybe the first Susan.

I think the reason Leela's eyes changed color was because Louise Jameson had color contacts when she first played Leela, and once a new producer took over she requested to use her natural eye colors. Hence the change.

The Rutans do appear in an independent production "Shakedown" (Which was elaborated on in a Seventh Doctor novel which was recently re-released.) which also featured Sontarans (Although sporting a tiger-like pattern instead of the more baked potatoish look).

But apart from being mentioned a few times, they were never really used again, possibly because there's so many other shape-changing aliens in both classic and new Who.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 06-16-2015 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I think the reason Leela's eyes changed color was because Louise Jameson had color contacts when she first played Leela, and once a new producer took over she requested to use her natural eye colors. Hence the change.

That and they were the big clunky 1970's contacts and She couldn't see for diddly squat when she wore them.